Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photography Forum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I never said you called me Sh1thead, can you explain the bith I have bolded above!

do you really think that the majority of people, on any forum, want to put up with petty name calling and squabbling in that forum? what does it contribute? You may think it's hilarious, the majority of people find it incredibly tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Beruthiel wrote: »

As far as I can see from this thread, most of the regulars of the photography forum who have posted here are happy enough with the moderation.
    It seems to be the people who are happy enough although they did say its still a bit rigid are mostly newer users, the older users who were used to Fajitas/Elvens style of modding appear to be the people who are unhappy.
    There lies the crux of the problem.
    I have no problems about everyone starting of with a clean slate again and all of us showing manners and cop on on both sides.
    I had even PM'd 2 of the 3 active Mods saying I was prepared for 2009 to start afresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

They are moderators of other forums, which is what I said, i know they are not moderators of this forum.

Yes and you have missed what I said. They are not moderators here they are ordinary users of boards like you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Well Dragan you seem to be from the strict Mod camp that was alluded to earlier...note 10 of the 18 people lurking on Feedback are from the Photography forum, but sure theres nothing wrong with the Photography forum is there?
    That huge thread was just one of those things?
    You've had respectable posters from Photography saying whats wrong and yet the Mods who rally round each other just make out that its only the troublemakers and everything is hunky dory.

AR, much like you i can only offer my own opinion. I guess you could call me a strict Mod with few rules, in the vast majority of the forums i have Modded ( 5 to date ) I have had a few golden rules and after that stuff didn't bother me unless it was brought to my attention. That is largely the way i approached the Photography Forum also.

As far as i am concerned, the Forum is definitely not as bad and as elitist as it was when i first posted in there. It was like a wet fart in a packed lift at the time to be honest.

I think Photography at the moment is a bit more friendly than it was when i started posting their truth be told.

I haven't been all that active in their since before Christmas, so can't really comment on recent weeks. That said, i see the same dissenting voices all the time, and once again i feel you have done yourself no favours in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

tbh wrote: »
    do you really think that the majority of people, on any forum, want to put up with petty name calling and squabbling in that forum? what does it contribute? You may think it's hilarious, the majority of people find it incredibly tedious.

AR called her Carlina ffs, I did it twice in threads where he had already done it, it wasnt clever, maybe a little juvenile but in no way was it bullying or meant to be malicious, she mods the photography and the travel and commuting so the Carlina was tongue in cheek, I apoligise to her publically for any offence, also to Smelltheglove who I have on occasion called Smellyglove.

Go on on lads search Carlina and see the extent of my bullying!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

the older users who were used to Fajitas/Elvens style of modding appear to be the people who are unhappy.

And from what I can gleen here, the moderating had to change because of a few posters who couldn't behave like adults.
    That's what happens in any society, tighter rules have to be made to accommodate the people who don't know how to behave themselves.
    It's a shame that everyone suffers for this, but it's necessary.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Paulw wrote: »
    Would it be possible for mods/smods to look at the number of infractions/bans issued in photography? Take a period of the last 6 months, the previous 6 months, the previous year? While I know that people come and go, I would generally assume that the number of infractions/bans would be relatively constant, unless there was a specific reason otherwise?

I'd disagree, the level of stupidity has sky rocketed in recent months

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

As a regular user of the forum even if more lurking than posting lately, I have to say that I do not really see a problem with the way the forum is being moderated.... some threads just derail quickly and I think the mods handled them accordingly.

Sure there could be a little more lighthearted banter, but I've noticed there are a couple of users who post abbrasively, which leads to people taking it personal and thus forcing the mods to step in.

Perhaps an off topic banter thread might be useful?

Oh and can we bring back Oriel.... :pac:

Okay, I'd like to agree with most of what CraggyIslander has posted here.

I've been posting and (mostly) lurking to the photography forum for a good while now (since rymus was modding), and it has started to really bore me recently to see how many threads descend into a slanging match, to the point at which I'm wondering if I could be bothered with it.

I've learned some great stuff from the Photography forum, there've been some really good threads posted there. Up to recently, it was usually possible to have a discussion, even a heated one with people from all points of view, and still have it remain constructive. For the last couple of months, it seems to be that every time a disagreement occurs, it flares into an argument.

As to the why of that, it seems that to a large extent it is (as CraggyIslander points out above) that people either read the thread incorrectly, or are just spoiling for a fight.

I think that the style of modding on the forum has changed a few times over the last few months, because there's been a few changes of mod names over that time. But that's not supposed to be a bad thing. As pointed out previously, we're all (well mostly) adults here, if you can't learn to adapt to different ways of thinking, then you should learn.

Personally I think that the major issue is with a very small number of users of the forum. I'm not familiar enough with the rules of posting in feedback (first time), but I can point to one individual who from day one of posting in the photo forum was obviously spoiling for a fight. I don't think that's at all constructive.

Bottom line for me, I want to read a forum where I get some useful information, where I can help out with infomration or advice where I can, and where I can offer my opinion on a discussion without feeling like I'll be beaten up for it. I'm old enough at this stage not to have to deal with that kind of guff.

Oh, and to be honest, I nearly long for the days when the worst you'd have to deal with was Oriel's sarky comebacks!!:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It seems to be the people who are happy enough although they did say its still a bit rigid are mostly newer users, the older users who were used to Fajitas/Elvens style of modding appear to be the people who are unhappy.

I believe this might be the issue, it may be the case that older members of the forum find the new modding much too harsh in comparison and that they can no longer enjoy the forum without the fear of been told off all the time.
    I have no problems about everyone starting of with a clean slate again and all of us showing manners and cop on on both sides.
    I had even PM'd 2 of the 3 active Mods saying I was prepared for 2009 to start afresh.

This may not be a bad idea but both users and mods have to do this, this includes users no longer misspelling mods names and mods not bringing up the past about users misspelling names etc

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fajitas! wrote: »
    With respect, it's not just the kids down the back of the bus that like to have good time on the forum.

But what if there's joking and laughing coupled by lots of helpful posting? That's what the forum should be to me. I also think Calina needs to ease up on the reins.
    This is what I was trying to get a grasp on by asking for links.

If it's a case of a a few posters consistently turning a thread into a series of one-liners and "LOL"'s, then that needs to be stamped out.

But I would go easy on some simple banter within a good thread, especially on a forum which acts in the manner of a community - like Photography and Fitness, to name but two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

And as for Beruthiel you're just out of touch, "muppets" :rolleyes:
    I know if I called you a muppet I would be banned, yet you can get away with it.
    1 law for them, 1 law for us.

Muhahahahahaha
    That is sooooo funny it actually hurts. :D
    Seriously!

So what has been stopping all these long time lurkers from posting in the photography forum ?
    Personally I think it is cos it seemed like such a little clique from the outside,
    I am an utter noob other then point, eh sorta frame and click and while I am far from a blushing voilet
    the tech level and the in crowd had put me off asking questions.

So the forum changes one of the little incrowds don't like the changes and are kicking up a fuss.
    My suggestion to you lot is make use of the socail groups which the site now has and have your craic
    and banter in there instead of derailing threads and putting of newer posters to that forum.

Boards.ie is organic every forum changes over time with new input and people posting less,
    if this is your first experience of it then awe bless I know it can be unsettling but you will get over it
    and even if you throw a strop and leave the forum will go on with out you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

And as for Beruthiel you're just out of touch, "muppets" :rolleyes:
    I know if I called you a muppet I would be banned, yet you can get away with it.

As for this, I named no names when I made that comment, so the above makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh my god, you're impossible. As a mod, I've been banned from Personal Issues for a week - for going off topic and ignoring a moderator's warning; ditto the Ladies' Lounge for the same thing - and that was for an indefinite period. I found taking the ban on the chin and not arguing back about it really helped.

I hate saying this, as it's such an old and tired retort, but seriously, you have a lot of problems with this site so just go away and use another one.

I'd have to disagree and say 'it depends on the case at hand'. You can't just apply one rule to it all - You've got to apply common sense and judge each case on it's own merits. It's still quite easy to keep the whole thing trackible if needs be - I'd always report the post, and add a note to say "user Pm'd" and the outcome. Warnings and infractions are undoubtably handy, but they can seem a bit aggressive if they are used instead of private messages. The mighty 'polite PM' is great tool for any mod.

Infractions/warnings are accompanied with a pm and the standard message can be edited or augmented so that it is also a polite pm.

I am not saying that pming a poster doesn't have it's place but I don't think it should be the standard way of dealing with clear cut breaches of the charter and site rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Dragan wrote: »
    As far as i am concerned, the Forum is definitely not as bad and as elitist as it was when i first posted in there. It was like a wet fart in a packed lift at the time to be honest.

I think Photography at the moment is a bit more friendly than it was when i started posting their truth be told.

Dragan, I gotta say, I don't agree with that - I think posting into any forum the first time can be a bit difficult, but (Now, I admit, I was petty, and searched your first few threads in the forum - Tbh, I was suprised aswell, and I can't see any unfriendliness or elitism in what I looked at).

I do have a lot of time and respect for you Dragan, and I'd really like to have corrected any elitism at the time, it was always one thing I was against - The forum should be for accepting anyone of any gear or skill level with a common interest.
    seamus wrote: »
    This is what I was trying to get a grasp on by asking for links.

If it's a case of a a few posters consistently turning a thread into a series of one-liners and "LOL"'s, then that needs to be stamped out.

But I would go easy on some simple banter within a good thread, especially on a forum which acts in the manner of a community - like Photography and Fitness, to name but two.

I think any of the meet up threads are good examples of the sense of community - Or at least the most accessible. As I've said before, a bit of craic, or banter, as I should've said, will do a community good. If users feel they can't put across the bit of banter for any reason, I think that's something to be looked at.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Cabaal wrote: »
    This may not be a bad idea but both users and mods have to do this, this includes users no longer misspelling mods names and mods not bringing up the past about users misspelling names etc
    +1

Just "reboot" the forum. Offending users need to stop trying to goad the more iron-fisted of the mods into putting on their mod hats.

There is an element of sympathy for some users who have been dealt with harshly, but that will dry up quick if users as a group don't grow up and stop trying to push the envelope.

Let this be a chance for everyone to show maturity.

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh my god, you're impossible. As a mod, I've been banned from Personal Issues for a week - for going off topic and ignoring a moderator's warning; ditto the Ladies' Lounge for the same thing - and that was for an indefinite period. I found taking the ban on the chin and not arguing back about it really helped.

I hate saying this, as it's such an old and tired retort, but seriously, you have a lot of problems with this site so just go away and use another one.

Funny isn't it ?
    and I managed to get 3 bans in less then 3 weeks over the Christmas oh well /shrug.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dragan, I gotta say, I don't agree with that - I think posting into any forum the first time can be a bit difficult, but (Now, I admit, I was petty, and searched your first few threads in the forum - Tbh, I was suprised aswell, and I can't see any unfriendliness or elitism in what I looked at).

I'd have to agree with this, any new user posting on any forum can often find it daunting as hell especially if its a busy forum like the photo forum,

While there is a huge range of skillsets on the forum I have to say I've not found it elitist, people are always willing to share knowledge be it via PM's, threads, MSN or during meets.

There is a real sense of community especially on the meet threads but there certainly is some issues that need to be sorted or they'll just continue to drag on.

Lets remember lads that many people have said that this is a witchhunt on mods or Calina now its almost turning into a witchhunt on users which isn't helping anyone.

Both users and mods need to deal with the issues at hand instead of trying to place blame as neither group is going to accept this blame.

Let the witchhunt's stop, let us "reboot" the forum and start from scratch now we just need to get people to agree to do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I do have a lot of time and respect for you Dragan, and I'd really like to have corrected any elitism at the time, it was always one thing I was against - The forum should be for accepting anyone of any gear or skill level with a common interest.

As i said man, i can only go with my own opinion. I have no real idea why i felt that way at the start, i just did. Perhaps it was the daunting nature of this new subject and the fact that i felt a million miles behind it in my understanding? I have no idea, it was just how i felt at the time, for one reason or another.

I honestly don't think it is an issue on Photography at all any more Al. I think your consistant message of Photography as an Individual Thing has been accepted and agreed on by all who post there.

If anything, i think sometimes the issues come from the things that are in line but outside the sphere of Photography itself.

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote: »
    As i said man, i can only go with my own opinion. I have no real idea why i felt that way at the start, i just did. Perhaps it was the daunting nature of this new subject and the fact that i felt a million miles behind it in my understanding? I have no idea, it was just how i felt at the time, for one reason or another.

I honestly don't think it is an issue on Photography at all any more Al. I think your consistant message of Photography as an Individual Thing has been accepted and agreed on by all who post there.

If anything, i think sometimes the issues come from the things that are in line but outside the sphere of Photography itself.

No no, that's grand, I just never thought that you'd have a problem, and wanted to look back over the first few threads to see what the story is, and didn't see any malicious comments in the c&c's! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Let the witchhunt's stop, let us "reboot" the forum and start from scratch now we just need to get people to agree to do this
    A great idea in theory... but would all people co-operate? I doubt it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I would .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I agree with alot of what's been said and disagree with some of it as well. I don't know about "rebooting" the forum maybe just wiping everyones slate clean. Some people definately need to ease up on the moderating rein's...

A joke and laugh is always great if someone is offended by it then they can say so and use the report post function.

Dudess wrote: »
    A great idea in theory... but would all people co-operate? I doubt it...

I don't know but best to give it a shot right I guess,
    Lets remember this applys to both sides users and mods have to agree they'll begin a fresh, given that nobody has to step down it shouldn't be a big issue to agree to it

I don't know but best to give it a shot right I guess,
    Lets remember this applys to both sides users and mods have to agree they'll begin a fresh, given that nobody has to step down it shouldn't be a big issue to agree to it

While I agree that that would be the best route to go down, I think there's been other points raised that need to be dealt with before someone hits the reset button, otherwise we're only waiting a month or two before this happens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Modding took away my desire to be an active user in the forum because i spent most of my time pulling apart schoolyard scuffles... but it's difficult to keep up enthusiasm for the place when you get called into every bit of narkiness and expected to deal with it. You start reading the threads looking for that instead of just enjoying the craic.

What seems to be happening again is that there's a power struggle where someone winds up a mod, gets in trouble, then winds them up on every available opportunity afterwards and it spills over into other threads. Everyone needs to step back in that situation, as difficult as it is - if there is a user and a mod who have a 'special relationship' maybe it would be healthy to have a different mod deal with that user so that the history isn't such an issue.

I don't think there's a case of a cliquey old group of users that are upset how the place is going just now. If there were, it would probably be that cliquey group i'm in and most of us have just stopped posting, because these places have a natural turnover of people and lifecycle where you start to cover old ground again and it's boring for the ones who were there first time around.

I do remember quite a few threads used to go off topic with people having a bit of banter and that's how you get to know people. If we all just posted purely about photography it'd be seriously boring. I think that could even be why we've ended up with a group who actually go shooting together or to the pub in *gasp* real life, and don't just meet up for boards-centric days out. Maybe now i'm on the outside looking in but there seems to be a lot less user interaction where people actually know who other people are. It's also probably influenced by the fact that so many of the users are people who are at the real noob level, as in have just bought or are about to buy a camera rather than people coming to the forum with previous photography histories of their own so that changes the topics that get posted about and who is interested in replying to them.

Oh dear, that's mostly drivel. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭countryjimbo

I've been on the Photography forum for quite some time, I used to post a bit but have more of less stopped now. The reason is that I'm completely put off by the attitude of a small group of posters. They have a very aggressive nature and much more worryingly they gang up. I've seen it time and time again, if one of them have an issue with someone else it’s only a matter of time before one or more of the others join in. This isn't a bit of slagging between mates. Its putting me off this fantastic forum and I would expect others as well. They haven't done it to me so this is not personal, but there are numerous examples, anyone following the forum will probably know I mean. Its only to be expected that mods have to continuously jump in, these posters won't stop on their own they just keep on going.

I really like the Photography forum, have learned lots from it, met alot of decent people through it and appreciate having somewhere where there's like minded people with similar interests to me. However if I was joining now I'd be very intimidated and probably wouldn't bother.

While I agree that that would be the best route to go down, I think there's been other points raised that need to be dealt with before someone hits the reset button, otherwise we're only waiting a month or two before this happens again.

Fair enough but I think the end goal should be a reset once any other issues are discussed, this ideally allows both users and mods to air things and yet we get to begin fresh.

This however should not be used as an excuse by anybody in my view to haul personal abuse at each other,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

p.s. bring back rymus!

Advertisement