Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photography Forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Bah. I'm all out of thanks again.

+1 to Cabaal

+1 to Elven

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Dudess wrote: »
    A great idea in theory... but would all people co-operate? I doubt it...

Thats it then we have wasted our time trying to sort this out!!

I have both publically and privately apoligised to Calina for misspelling her name twice, I hope this issue is now over

I have aired my views and watched a host of mods from other forums ( I know they are not mods of this forum but are mods of others) rally around the Photo mods and defend thier actions, trying to muddy the waters, this forum was meant to be for people to air grievances re the photography forum and has been hijacked by these mods.

I dont think i will be posting in this thread again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

trishw78 wrote: »
    Some people definately need to ease up on the moderating rein's...
    I agree, there are some moderators who can be quite heavyhanded (moreso in the way they do things - I only know of one or maybe two unfair moderator decisions) but the Photography mods are not any of them.
    A joke and laugh is always great
    It depends on the intention behind it, which could be a malicious one. And if someone is offended by it, sometimes they're just being hyper-sensitive or unable to recognise irony, but from what I've seen, most of the time it's with just cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

elven wrote: »
    p.s. bring back rymus!

As an unbiased 'man on the street', I have to say I fully support this product and/or service.

It depends on the intention behind it, which could be a malicious one. And if someone is offended by it, sometimes they're just being hyper-sensitive, but most of the time, it's with good cause.

Then report it and hope it's dealt with tbh.

But I meant a joke and a laugh within the community, playful fun... banter, as Seamus said.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Thats it then we have wasted our time trying to sort this out!!

I have both publically and privately apoligised to Calina for misspelling her name twice, I hope this issue is now over

I have aired my views and watched a host of mods from other forums ( I know they are not mods of this forum but are mods of others) rally around the Photo mods and defend thier actions, trying to muddy the waters, this forum was meant to be for people to air grievances re the photography forum and has been hijacked by these mods.

I dont think i will be posting in this thread again!

I would disagree, a mods view in general it alot more reliable than a regular poster, a degree of cop on is expected from a mod...unlike trolls that mooch round here making waves. I think this has moved from a 'oust Calina' thread to...'what muppets are messing up the photo forum thread' ... the exact way i thought this would go.....

trolls that mooch round here making waves.

Woo, I got a mention! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

It depends on the intention behind it, which could be a malicious one. And if someone is offended by it, sometimes they're just being hyper-sensitive or unable to recognise irony, but from what I've seen, most of the time it's with just cause.

I know of an incident a couple of months ago where there was a bit of banter between two users, both users know each other well, yet a mod saw fit to jump in and warn them about OTB no one else was involved in the banter.

I could it was friendly banter as I assume everyone else saw it as such (as no one else complained) yet the mod (can't exaclty remember who) saw fit to warn both users.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

this forum was meant to be for people to air grievances re the photography forum

Apart from a couple of posters, all the other photography regulars do not appear to have any grievance.

So some good has come of this thread.
    Firstly, it would appear the vast majority are happy.

Secondly, a reboot has been suggested and the troublesome posters are asked to act like adults.

I would disagree, a mods view in general it alot more reliable than a regular poster, a degree of cop on is expected from a mod...unlike trolls that mooch round here making waves. I think this has moved from a 'oust Calina' thread to...'what muppets are messing up the photo forum thread' ... the exact way i thought this would go.....

Jaysis, you changed your sig very fast, didn't you ;)

What happened to the 'drop Calina, bring back the older mods' attitude :pac:

• Advertisement

I know of an incident a couple of months ago where there was a bit of banter between two users, both users know each other well, yet a mod saw fit to jump in and warn them about OTB no one else was involved in the banter.

I could it was friendly banter as I assume everyone else saw it as such (as no one else complained) yet the mod (can't exaclty remember who) saw fit to warn both users.
    :confused:

Yes, because it was off-topic - whether it was friendly banter or not...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

rymus wrote: »
    Woo, I got a mention! :D

your not a troll....your an honourary ogre

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Jaysis, you changed your sig very fast, didn't you ;)

What happened to the 'drop Calina, bring back the older mods' attitude :pac:

yeah well ifi was gonna participate in this discussion, probably would have made more trouble than its worth. Sure I voted her mod of the year in the nom thread :D

In fairness... a bit of off-topic banter never hurt anyone. It's better that than have the fecking place turn into a stuffy business meeting atmosphere.

But maybe that's just me thinking outside the box and trying to shift some stationary paradigms around the pre-existing envelope?

yeah well ifi was gonna participate in this discussion, probably would have made more trouble than its worth. Sure I voted her mod of the year in the nom thread :D

Lol, if you've an opinion of a moderator, if you feel they need to look at something better, or review things in a different way, this is your chance to air your grievances, not change your opinion to make everything nice and fluffy so you'll get along.

Otherwise feedback is wasted.

rymus wrote: »
    In fairness... a bit of off-topic banter never hurt anyone. It's better that than have the fecking place turn into a stuffy business meeting atmosphere.
    A clampdown on off-topic banter (emphasis on "off-topic") isn't going to turn the atmosphere into that of a stuffy business meeting, surely. Why not just stick to the ON-topic banter...? It's a special interest forum, not After Hours.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Lol, if you've an opinion of a moderator, if you feel they need to look at something better, or review things in a different way, this is your chance to air your grievances, not change your opinion to make everything nice and fluffy so you'll get along.

Otherwise feedback is wasted.

na i made my point at the start, had my issues, but i see where shes coming from with the clampdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

My reason for contributing here was in the hope for change as I'm seriously considering abandoning the forum. I've never received a warning, infraction or ban, but the forum has become very formal and unfriendly of late.

As one of the more active fora on boards, with a real sense of community, I feel thats a shame. Where else would get people prepared to loan strangers (well almost) expensive pieces of gear? I don't agree that it's become elítist, in fact the opposite, as those more advanced are always willing to help newcomers. This was amptly demonstrated with our "Book" and "Exhibition" which have been all inclusive of all levels. and thats how it should be.

I'd like to comment on the "Carlina" incident. It was totally wrong and at the same time badly handled by the Mods (all of them). It should have been pointed out that this was unacceptable and as it continued action taken. I was very surprised and disappointed to see it be allowed to continue.

A few have, rightly, expressed outrage at some posters attitudes. Have they complained? Maybe if we want the forum as it was then we, as users, need to take more positive action to ensure that.

The mods also need to look at themselves though and I appreciate it's a tough job. Especially the use of language is very important. Harsh dogmatic rhetoric will often illicit a negative response.

I'm also of the "Cabansail" school of thought that a short PM with a warning is a very effective way of calming things down before they get out of hand.

And +1 for bring back Oriel. Plain talking and none of this PC stuff is more than needed.

T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

So people are talking OT and a Mod comes along and tells only those people to get back on topic?

I am honestly failing to see the issue here. If the two people knew each other, they cannot expect the Mod to know that, and if both are long term members they should know that in thread and off topic is not the way to have discussions like that on boards?

A clampdown on off-topic banter (emphasis on "off-topic") isn't going to turn the atmosphere into that of a stuffy business meeting, surely. Why not just stick to the ON-topic banter...? It's a special interest forum, not After Hours.

its more than that, theres regular meets, trips, side projects, most regulars know each other very well in real life, its quite unique in that the forum brings people together who normally would never meet. A bit of otb is to be expected, as long as it isnt offensive or drivvel, why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

It was this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055374435

& it was Dragan
    Dragan wrote:
    So people are talking OT and a Mod comes along and tells only those people to get back on topic?

I am honestly failing to see the issue here. If the two people knew each other, they cannot expect the Mod to know that, and if both are long term members they should know that in thread and off topic is not the way to have discussions like that on boards?

It wasn't a C&C thread and as pointed out in thread they're were other comments not relating to the photo's besides most people were thinking it including myself.

Covey wrote: »
    And +1 for bring back Oriel. Plain talking and none of this PC stuff is more than needed.

Abso-fricking-lutely! Half man, half legend he is.

My reason for contributing here was in the hope for change as I'm seriously considering abandoning the forum. I've never received a warning, infraction or ban, but the forum has become very formal and unfriendly of late.

As one of the more active fora on boards, with a real sense of community, I feel thats a shame. Where else would get people prepared to loan strangers (well almost) expensive pieces of gear? I don't agree that it's become elítist, in fact the opposite, as those more advanced are always willing to help newcomers. This was amptly demonstrated with our "Book" and "Exhibition" which have been all inclusive of all levels. and thats how it should be.

I'd like to comment on the "Carlina" incident. It was totally wrong and at the same time badly handled by the Mods (all of them). It should have been pointed out that this was unacceptable and as it continued action taken. I was very surprised and disappointed to see it be allowed to continue.

A few have, rightly, expressed outrage at some posters attitudes. Have they complained? Maybe if we want the forum as it was then we, as users, need to take more positive action to ensure that.

The mods also need to look at themselves though and I appreciate it's a tough job. Especially the use of language is very important. Harsh dogmatic rhetoric will often illicit a negative response.

I'm also of the "Cabansail" school of thought that a short PM with a warning is a very effective way of calming things down before they get out of hand.

T.

I'll echo what's been said there.

You mean being a complete prick...? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I want to step down as mod of the Photography Forum. I don't think I've done a bad job per se, but really no one should have to tolerate the nonsense that I've had constantly since I started modding the forum a few months ago from a small number of users. I'm never going to get yesterday evening back, and even reading through this, I am getting an overwhelming sense of a few people wanting to dictate moderation to suit their own agendas despite a wide, wide support from the rest of the community for what I do.

With the best will in the world, I have a life too and I have to balance a lot of different things against each other, and right now, I feel that moderating photography on boards.ie is far, far more trouble than it's worth. I want to make it clear that this is not just the one-off event of last night's traincrash, it's an evaluation of what I have had to put up with for the past few months and the feeling that it's just not worth the time and effort that I make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

You mean being a complete prick...? ;)

Reads PC not CP :D:p

That's an awful shame Calina. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Apart from a couple of posters, all the other photography regulars do not appear to have any grievance.

So some good has come of this thread.
    Firstly, it would appear the vast majority are happy.

Secondly, a reboot has been suggested and the troublesome posters are asked to act like adults.
    very selective with the facts are we not ?
    And as for your last line that is so what is wrong with the photography issues being aired here, if u read the thread properly the reboot idea was also to include the mods meeting us half way, your posting it as if it's just the users who are to blame.
    Vast majoirty is an exaggeration too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

It was this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055374435

& it was Dragan

It wasn't a C&C thread and as pointed out in thread they're were other comments not relating to the photo's besides most people were thinking it including myself.

LoL, "most people"?

And out of all these people not a single one of them can actually PM me and say "maybe you were a bit off the bat there"?

Because i didn't receive a single PM about that thread.

I didn't feel the original post i responded to was appropriate, so i said so.

It's funny, across Fitness, SDMA, MMA etc i am known as the guy to PM if you have an issue with my actions and i will explain them to you in as much detail as you require.

Is it the fascination with the shutter that causes Photographers to lose their voice? I don't think so, i just think not that many people are bother to compose decent, polite, level headed PM's to Mods.

• Advertisement

very selective with the facts are we not ?
    And as for your last line that is so what is wrong with the photography issues being aired here, if u read the thread properly the reboot idea was also to include the mods meeting us half way, your posting it as if it's just the users who are to blame.
    Vast majoirty is an exaggeration too.

You know something, I'm beginning to see why the Mods in that forum are having so much trouble.

Advertisement