Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photography Forum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No, she said snipey comments. That's a different kettle of fish to having differing points of view...

all I've noticed since this Photography problem has being moved to Feedback is countless Mods from OTHER forums slagging off the people who actually disagreed with the modern photography set up.
    I don't understand you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't understand you.
    Mods from every forum bar the Photography forum have but 1 or 2 have jumped in and accused people of being ****stirrers, they talk down and generally try and diss the people who have had legit complaints.
    Seriously, I've had about 4-5 people make me out as if I am Satan but all I did was bring the subject up to a higher level, at this higher level all we want is a fairer hearing...if we were to read back most of the people who disagree with the Photography "rebels" are Moderators NOT from the photography forums.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

.if we were to read back most of the people who disagree with the Photography "rebels" are Moderators NOT from the photography forums.

This thread is about the photo forum and this only includes the photo forum mods as actual mods afaik, all other non-photo mods in this thread are classed as users this includes the likes of me.

As with all cases like this if I'm classed as a user I'm speaking as a user and am entitled to my own personal views, modship does not come onto it.

While I understand you may have frustrations in respect of this thread and the photo forum for your own sake I'd suggest you maybe be careful how you refer to other users here as general rules apply here and that includes no personal abuse.

Cabaal,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Mods from every forum bar the Photography forum have but 1 or 2 have jumped in and accused people of being ****stirrers, they talk down and generally try and diss the people who have had legit complaints.
    Seriously, I've had about 4-5 people make me out as if I am Satan but all I did was bring the subject up to a higher level, at this higher level all we want is a fairer hearing...if we were to read back most of the people who disagree with the Photography "rebels" are Moderators NOT from the photography forums.

I'm not a mod outside of the forum I moderate and have as much right as a user as you in any other forum. Dont belittle what users have to say just because they mod other forums and happen to disagree with you. Thats pathetic.

• Advertisement

Mods from every forum bar the Photography forum have but 1 or 2 have jumped in and accused people of being ****stirrers
    Well I, for example, see a moderator being harassed for simply following the charter... therefore I'll show my support. I would have done the same before I started moderating - STOP banging on and on about moderators, it makes you look so petty and bitter. The one thing that "unites" moderators is that they can empathise with each other about the bullsh1t that goes with it, but there's no clique. In fact plenty of moderators can't stand each other.
    they talk down and generally try and diss the people who have had legit complaints.
    No they don't. I've seen posts addressing legit complaints here - you're ignoring those.
    Seriously, I've had about 4-5 people make me out as if I am Satan
    Well you do keep bullying Calina. You think it's "speaking out" or whatever, but it looks like harassment. Think what you like - that I'm only saying that as a mod... but no, it actually really, really DOES look like harassment.
    but all I did was bring the subject up to a higher level, at this higher level all we want is a fairer hearing...
    Why can't you go about that in a less childish manner? You're not doing yourself any favours with your anarchic, "fight the system" approach...
    if we were to read back most of the people who disagree with the Photography "rebels" are Moderators NOT from the photography forums.
    They're members, not moderators, outside of the forums they moderate. And they disagree because that is their opinion, not because they've decided "oh I'll have to back up Calina because I'm a mod". The other Photography moderators, well maybe they aren't online? Maybe they are actually too uncomfortable with trying to engage with you?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

if we were to read back most of the people who disagree with the Photography "rebels" are Moderators NOT from the photography forums.
    Perhaps other moderators are more likely sympathise with another mod having regard to their own experience with dealing with 'rebel' posters.

That's just an observation, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I think it would erroneous to assume that just because someone is a moderator of Forum X Y Z, they don't also frequent photography regularly. Sabotage is a case in point and it's thanks to him we have one of most popular outings I believe in Charleville Castle - I seem to recollect that he brought it up first, three or four years ago.

Covey, I'm sorry. I have actually had other things on my plate for most of today. I did, however, in light of what happened with the now locked thread, feel it might be easier to get a broader response from the community if perhaps the thread did not involved ping pong involving what - from my reading of the situation dispassionately - could be seen as the problem mod per se. It meant I didn't have a voice here, but if the world was truly fair, we wouldn't be here anyway because no one would need moderation. The sad fact is they do.

In terms of any response, it will be later tonight when I am at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Grand,

Would be nice to hear from you.

Give me a time and I'll wrap those presents for you. :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Monasette

First of all, I don't agree at all with the premise of this thread - I see no problem at all with the moderation, and the targetting of Treasa/Calina in this discussion is disgraceful and unwarranted. And, apart from a very small clique, I've seen little support for the thread.

If anything, this thread has shown the need for more moderation, not less.

BR,
    John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Monasette wrote: »
    If anything, this thread has shown the need for more moderation, not less.
    Yeah, that's the right way to deal with things. Ignore any real problems when users complain about something, and punish them with stricter moderating for speaking out. Excellent way of dealing with things!

*Warning, this post may contain traces of nuts sarcasm*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

Yeah, that's the right way to deal with things. Ignore any real problems when users complain about something, and punish them with stricter moderating for speaking out. Excellent way of dealing with things!

*Warning, this post may contain traces of nuts sarcasm*

Works both ways though, you can't just keep shouting we're right and everybody else is wrong.

nilhg wrote: »
    Works both ways though, you can't just keep shouting we're right and everybody else is wrong.
    When it comes to points of view, mods don't do that. When it comes to rules, they do - because that's what they're expected to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Ok. I feel fairly ****e at this stage - I can only imagine how Calina must feel. I think what she posted earlier was very restrained given the blather that has been posted. There is too much noise on this thread to make utter sense of so i'll be simple.

Some suggest that moderators in photography need to lighten up. So I need to lighten up. Great.

Someone tell me what that means. Spell it out. Tell me in plain black and white. I don't want any shades of grey and no freaking bokeh. My understanding is quite simple.

Thank you.

BTW - I still don't have any single request on pm for recalling of offending threads which i offered to do this morning. Offer still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

i haven't had a chance to read this whole thread yet but just wanted to voice my opinion.
    i've been posting for the last few months now and have to say i don't see anything wrong with the way the forum is modded.
    there is a number of people who i have noticed have always had a bit of an attitude towards other posters and this has been more noticable recently hence the increase in the strictness of the mods i would assume.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ah AR come on now.... I read Photography all the time and I have to say you are definitely not only there for the Photography, come on mate! :)
    You stuck your opinion into anything you like (no harm there) but you also definitely come off as being a rebel without a pause. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Oh. I also see that the moderation needs to be more lightheartened/humourous - more like the old days. Wait til I tell ya.

Two sandwitches walk into a bar and ask the bar tender for a pint. Sorry says the bar tender, we don't serve sandwitches.

Ah its a classic. Sorry. My level of humour is limited to very little and what little is there is from the 80's when you couldn't actually get a sandwitch in a bar - do you really want a load of it?

Really - I can't believe i'm reading some of this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

ai ai ai..

Firstly I'd like to say I would NEVER take on the job of mod of our forum. No amount of money in the world would entice me to it as there's FAR too many muppets. I'm admin on a huge US based site so I kind of know what I'm talking about here :rolleyes: All due respect to mods, both past and present - you do for nothing what no-one would really want to do for a salary. I take my hat off to all of you - honestly.

That being said, I've felt the fun element has gone a bit from the forum of late. We're a community. We interact mainly on the forum but a lot of us have IRL relationships. I've been told to get back OT when I've only been exchanging in friendly banter with fellow members. I fail to see the harm in this. We're friends. We should be allowed to develop this. Ok so there are other forums here for that, but I don't know anyone there. I have developed real friendships with people on the photography forum over the years I've been here. I don't know anyone on AH. If this is a member led forum shouldn't we be allowed to lead? As long as what we're posting isn't against the charter?

I respect that a *lot* of mod decisions have been 100% right. I feel a little loosening up wouldn't go amiss is all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Shinjuku

Calina wrote: »
    I want to step down as mod of the Photography Forum.

All right, high five! Yeah! Let's party Woooo!:pac::pac::pac:

highfive.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Oh. I also see that the moderation needs to be more lightheartened/humourous - more like the old days. Wait til I tell ya.

Two sandwitches walk into a bar and ask the bar tender for a pint. Sorry says the bar tender, we don't serve sandwitches.

Ah its a classic. Sorry. My level of humour is limited to very little and what little is there is from the 80's when you couldn't actually get a sandwitch in a bar - do you really want a load of it?

Really - I can't believe i'm reading some of this stuff.

And I can't believe your attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

kensutz wrote: »
    He's not normally like that to be fair.

Shinjuku wrote: »

highfive.gif
    If Calina had been obnoxious and aggressive throughout this thread I might understand the above remark to some degree... however she barely posted anything to the entire thread, so you've only gone and made yourself look petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I feel utterly battered now. On the one hand I have a bunch of users who are telling me that I'm doing a good job, that my moderation is fine, and that I have nothing really to worry about apart from a couple of problematic users, on the other hand I've a few users who have serious, serious issues with my moderation. I cannot reconcile these diametrically opposed points of view and I'm somewhat tired of trying to do so.

With respect to feedback to the community I would say this: the overwhelming majority of you are really great people who contribute massively to photography on a daily basis. I think it's sad that this gets forgotten at times of strife. While all this is going on over here, people are still posting looking for advice, offering help, sharing experience on Photography. What is really great about that community is that so many initiatives come from within the community. Those who put the book together were not mod users. I wasn't a mod when the exhibition started coming together. The share the knowledge events and a lot of the meet ups - the majority of them in fact - are usually put together by non-mods. Photography is a monumental community and for the most part I think it works very well.

But I am still not sure that I want to continue moderating it. I think dispassionately anyone who reads this thread or the other one would not really blame me for this. I'm not in the mood for issuing a poll for "should I continue or not", I got one piece of advice which was to take a break for a while which may be the best decision for now, and maybe make a final decision about it in a month or so's time.

Cop on and learn some respect.This was not meant to be a witchhunt,this thread was made to discuss and fix any grievances with the forum.It seems some people here have other prerogatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Calina wrote: »
    I feel utterly battered now. On the one hand I have a bunch of users who are telling me that I'm doing a good job, that my moderation is fine, and that I have nothing really to worry about apart from a couple of problematic users, on the other hand I've a few users who have serious, serious issues with my moderation. I cannot reconcile these diametrically opposed points of view and I'm somewhat tired of trying to do so.

With respect to feedback to the community I would say this: the overwhelming majority of you are really great people who contribute massively to photography on a daily basis. I think it's sad that this gets forgotten at times of strife. While all this is going on over here, people are still posting looking for advice, offering help, sharing experience on Photography. What is really great about that community is that so many initiatives come from within the community. Those who put the book together were not mod users. I wasn't a mod when the exhibition started coming together. The share the knowledge events and a lot of the meet ups - the majority of them in fact - are usually put together by non-mods. Photography is a monumental community and for the most part I think it works very well.

But I am still not sure that I want to continue moderating it. I think dispassionately anyone who reads this thread or the other one would not really blame me for this. I'm not in the mood for issuing a poll for "should I continue or not", I got one piece of advice which was to take a break for a while which may be the best decision for now, and maybe make a final decision about it in a month or so's time.

I feel so sorry for you.
    I very rarely went near the photography forum,but from all i can see lately you did a normal and fine job with it.

The only good thing about this event is that its shown you are a bigger and better person than those that are attacking you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

highfive.gif

That is one of the most disgusting posts I have seen on this site in a long time.
    Can this prat just be site banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

highfive.gif

That was just way to far,I think a ban from the site should be issued to you...
    We may have problems with some of the mods,but i would word my issues as nicely as possible just to have some respect for the person i'm speaking about

You though have just gone to far,and are obviously far to immature to post on the forum,What are you eight?

Actually you're a f**cking idiot for posting that

And no i wouldn't even think of editing this thread or apologising for picking on the user...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Cop on and learn some respect.This was not meant to be a witchhunt,this thread made to discuss and fix any grievances with the forum.It seems some people here have other prerogatives.

Abso-feckin-lutely. Grow up.

@calina- I hope my post didn't add to your feelings. I for one don't want you to leave. It's just a tough balancing act :(

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

kensutz wrote: »

I can fully understand AnCathDub being disillusioned with the whole modding thing already.

Place used to be fun, now there's just too many smart alec's, causing mods to step in and thus stiffling the banter

I'll vote again to bring back Oriel and this time make him a mod as well :pac: Would need rymus as counterbalance tho :p

/Calina please reconsider :)

//anyone remember fun?

Edit: why is anyone feeding the disgusting Troll?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

While i can't deny i share peoples anger at shinjuku,starting a flame war isn't going to help.

Advertisement