Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photography Forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

sineadw wrote: »
    That being said, I've felt the fun element has gone a bit from the forum of late. We're a community. We interact mainly on the forum but a lot of us have IRL relationships. I've been told to get back OT when I've only been exchanging in friendly banter with fellow members. I fail to see the harm in this. We're friends. We should be allowed to develop this. Ok so there are other forums here for that, but I don't know anyone there. I have developed real friendships with people on the photography forum over the years I've been here. I don't know anyone on AH. If this is a member led forum shouldn't we be allowed to lead? As long as what we're posting isn't against the charter?

I respect that a *lot* of mod decisions have been 100% right. I feel a little loosening up wouldn't go amiss is all...

Nail on the head.

I find it utterly baffling to be warned or infracted for having a bit of banter with your mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Nerin wrote: »
    While i can't deny i share peoples anger at shinjuku,starting a flame war isn't going to help.

No need to.
    banlist wrote:
    12-01-2009, 7:45 Shinjuku 19-01-2009, 7:00 you know why, you dick. DeVore

Well done and thanks DeVore.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Shinjuku is sitebanned obviously.

Never had a problem with Photography and I think the modding is fine there personally.

The poker mods have a thread which is basically the locals nattering about everything (its stickied) and I'd like to try a thread like that in Photography to allow the sort of off topic banter around the topic of photography between mates. I have an idea that it might be something we should try accross the site but lets use Photography as a test bed...

Callina, please reconsider for the moment while we try this?

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Nail on the head.

I find it utterly baffling to be warned or infracted for having a bit of banter with your mates.
    If everyone did it, there would be no forum. Why are you special?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

DeVore wrote: »

Never had a problem with Photography and I think the modding is fine there personally.

The poker mods have a thread which is basically the locals nattering about everything (its stickied) and I'd like to try a thread like that in Photography to allow the sort of off topic banter around the topic of photography between mates. I have an idea that it might be something we should try accross the site but lets use Photography as a test bed...

DeV.

Otb thread would clean up their "need" for off topic banter in other threads. Call it the darkroom. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It everyone did it, there would be no forum.

I'm sorry, what? That doesn't really make any sense. There's plenty of talk about photography as you can see if you pop your head in. I just think there shouldn't be such heavy-handed modding in such a close-knit community where everyone generally knows everyone else, be it in real life or from regular postings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

While I wouldn't blame you for your decision Calina, I think you should stick with it and develop a regieme. Possibly a fascist one. You can borrow my old one if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

kensutz wrote: »
    And I can't believe your attitude.

I apologise for the crude attempt at humour and for having you perceive me to have an attitude.

The point that I was making was the ridicolous nature of much of the posting.

Apologies again.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

DeV.

+1

It's what I mentioned in my first post..... instead of poker forum, I was inspired by the Off Topic Banter thread in the body modifications that regularly shows up on the arts front page...... seems to be working for them :)

DeV.

Some of the other forums have a otb thread which seems to cut down on the chatter and increase the signal to noise ratio in other threads where it's needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Throwing everything in one thread would be too forced so to speak, no one is saying that we have to natter like a pair of eld ones in Corrie but we also want to be able to say D comes after C if need be without getting an infraction and not knowing about it til the next morning.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Already in use in Carlow. Was tired in Waterford but wasn't really ever used. Im sure I am missing other regional foras I think there tried on.

Good idea tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

DeV.

Thank you.

New Off Thread is
    > here. I'm on the hunt for new titles for that thread because I'm all out of inspiration right now.

I'm okay with staying on for a little while longer in this case.

:(
    People are just not getting us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

kensutz wrote: »
    And I can't believe your attitude.

actually, can everyone not lighten up. it's only a bit of light hearted banter ;)

to explain the above lest my attitude shines through again - this has been suggested on thread 'mods to lighten up'. Yet ken misinterpreted what I was intending. To refer to my earlier post (pre humour one) what is black/white about it?

how do you guide a moderator? use discretion would be in order right?

isn't that what is happeening on all forums (photography included)?

:(
    People are just not getting us.

Your the first response on the otb thread,and its negative.

Threads aren't supposed to bend to the whims of you and yore friends. Threads have a certain topic and purpose. You've been given a thread to chat in,as a compromise,yet you spit on it.

Best thing you can do is take a break for a while,a self imposed ban for a day or so,or at least keep all yore grumbling to this thread,in the feedback forum.

I have no friends, why I frequent online forums. :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58571731&postcount=7

;)

Note the time compared to your post, you need to surf the international highway faster!

I have no friends, why I frequent online forums. :(

Take it to PI

Take it to PI

magnumpi510920070122010zj0.jpg

Going nowhere m8 where 80s taches rule the roost, seriously.

magnumpi510920070122010zj0.jpg

Going nowhere m8 where 80s taches rule the roost, seriously.

Is this the type of "hilarious banter" you want to spew around forums?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Woah, you turn your back for 5 minutes and all this kicks off.

I've read through everything here (it's OK, the baby didn't really need bathing anyway), and have a few comments to make.

1. Calina - it seems like you've rethought your decision to quit. Thank you.
    2. I think a lot of people should ask their friends to read what they've written before hitting post. As experienced internet users you should be aware that things that sound funny in your head aren't always funny, and can come across as quite mean-spirited and/or nasty.
    3. Forums need moderators. Otherwise we'll spend our entire days clicking on links to cheap replica watches.

Tabula Rasa - what I'd like:
    I pretty much like the forum the way it is (I'm a great help, aren't I?). I enjoy both the on topic and off-topic banter.
    I think OT stuff should be kept away from posts started by new people, as it can make things appear clique-y.
    I like seeing OT stuff in the "regulars" posts, as that's how I get to know people (or at least form opinions of them).
    I think all the users should learn how to use the report button, and use it - particularly if it's your thread being derailed.
    If you don't mind/actively like your thread being derailed, don't report it. Mods, if a regular name hasn't reported their thread being derailed, think "Fab, nothing for me to do here, he must like it", and relax.
    Everyone should remember that people have different opinions, ranging on topics from "what filter should be used" through "what an awful match" to "you smell".
    Anyone over the age of 12 should remember that just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they are calling your manliness/parenthood/childcare skills into question. They're random people, who cares?
    I dislike the idea of an off topic banter thread - it seems a bit pointless. If a post about colour gradations reminds me of something to do with polarisers, I don't want to have to go elsewhere or start a new thread just for that (unless it's a huge issue).

Obviously those are just my ideas on the way I'd like things to be. Sadly, until I rule the world, I'll just have to go along with other people's ideas. But I'll buy people chocolate if things go my own way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

DeV.

User permabanned for posting lolphoto and making an insulting and bad taste comment on feedback? That should make an interesting precident for the future :pac:

/O.T.
    Calina and the other mods do a bang on job. I go there for the photos and the information.

<3's photography forums and forum'ites.

Is this the type of "hilarious banter" you want to spew around forums?
    :rolleyes:

What's that thats just gone over your head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh come on... grow up. AnimalRights, you were so hostile for so long, then all of a sudden you do this big turnaround and become friendly? You can't expect people to just go with that u-turn...

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh come on... grow up. AnimalRights, you were so hostile for so long, then all of a sudden you do this big turnaround and become friendly? You can't expect people to just go with that u-turn...
    lol I cannot win either way can I!
    Maybe check the thread that was set up for us over on photography, infact an off forum Mod actually didn't read the thread fully, insulted me and never got banned! Yet did I report him? NO!

Maybe check the thread that was set up for us over on photography, infact an off forum Mod actually didn't read the thread fully, insulted me and never got banned! Yet did I report him? NO!

Then report it and stop using it as ammunition. Report post button is there for a reason.

Gah!!!!
    Read the fecking thread!!!!

I must give up being sarcastic around mods!

User permabanned for posting lolphoto and making an insulting and bad taste comment on feedback? That should make an interesting precident for the future :pac:

It is not a precident, this has happened before,the admins own the site and can kick people of for any reason they choose, if being a dick and hurting abusing a poster or mod who is in good standing is a good enough reason for an admin that thats all there is to it.

It's been done plenty of time before that the admins didn't like the cut of someone jib and choose to remove their access from the site and they are completely entitled to do so. Hell all the I.P. range for Cork was banned at one stage.

We only have the posting privileges, freedom and rights they have chosen to let us have and personally I think we need more DeVore type intervention to let the inmates know they are not in charge of the asylum.

12clicked.jpgdevoreintervention.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I really don't think you can, your a divel for the poo stirring at the best of times....with a long list of infractions and warnings from more than just Calina, it doesn't bode well to have a known trouble maker, of boards to be lecturing on how the site is run when clearly your views and atittude and contray to the boards ethos.

• Advertisement

Gah!!!!
    Read the fecking thread!!!!

I must give up being sarcastic around mods!

Hey,its ok,calm down and chill out. :)

Advertisement