Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photography Forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I really don't think you can, your a divel for the poo stirring at the best of times....with a long list of infractions and warnings from more than just Calina, it doesn't bode well to have a known trouble maker, of boards to be lecturing on how the site is run when clearly your views and atittude and contray to the boards ethos.

Gee whizz thanks for that Mel.
    Would make a great sig for me 'cept my sig is already full.

;>

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

;>

just link it ;)

but seriously... I like your shots, I like threads you start... I don't like the bullying and poostirring

Mel you're a former poster on Thumped, I am a poster on Thumped.
    I think we can see what the problem is. :pac:
    Why did you leave Thumped btw?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Mel you're a former poster on Thumped, I am a poster on Thumped.
    I think we can see what the problem is. :pac:
    Why did you leave Thumped btw?

that is the problem... different mentality over there, its very spammy and mishmashy over there....

aghhh stop you making go ot we can continue via wall

I always had a soft spot for you Mel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Calina wrote: »
    I'm okay with staying on for a little while longer in this case.

Good :)
    I'm not a photog poster but I was disappointed to see a mod step down because of sheer muppetry - think of the precedent it would have set.

Hope it improves :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It is not a precident, this has happened before,the admins own the site and can kick people of for any reason they choose, if being a dick and hurting abusing a poster or mod who is in good standing is a good enough reason for an admin that thats all there is to it.

It's been done plenty of time before that the admins didn't like the cut of someone jib and choose to remove their access from the site and they are completely entitled to do so. Hell all the I.P. range for Cork was banned at one stage.

We only have the posting privileges, freedom and rights they have chosen to let us have and personally I think we need more DeVore type intervention to let the inmates know they are not in charge of the asylum.

12clicked.jpgdevoreintervention.jpg

I am all for it! I didn't say there was anything wrong with it and DeV is an owner and can do what he likes. He should do it more and forget the good standing rubbish, just enforce more sense into people. Permabanning a few more would not go amiss IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

lol I cannot win either way can I!
    It's not a case of "winning"... you've been mouthing off angrily for so long, then you undergo this huge metamorphosis without warning. The latter rings hollow after all your bitching and moaning and being crap to Calina. If you had "bridged" the two with a quick but sincere comment to the effect of "ok lads, I'll tone down the whingeing" I know plenty of people would welcome it.
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    Hell all the I.P. range for Cork was banned at one stage.
    Of all the places they could have picked, it just had to be Cork... Typical. :mad: We're the Jews of Ireland... :(
    We only have the posting privileges, freedom and rights they have chosen to let us have
    And that is not in breach of our "human rights", our "freedom of speech" etc because this is not a state-run enterprise, it's a private one. Why are we owed anything? We're not paying customers. We can log in and log out whenever we want - or we don't have to log in at all.

;>
    And yet again, another post making the point (pleasantly and constructively) you could be contributing to the tension on Photography, but no, instead of taking it on board and considering it and maybe learning from it, you throw it back in Mel's face and just refuse to face the fact that, in his opinion, you can stir sh1t at times. It's really childish. But I know your response will be that I'm out to get you. I'm not - I don't roll that way. I'm simply going by what I've observed of you. So maybe just consider that some of the problems on Photography might be caused by you and not everyone else...

Macros42 wrote: »
    Good :)
    I'm not a photog poster but I was disappointed to see a mod step down because of sheer muppetry -
    Let it go.

Dudess wrote: »
    I have I think on 2-3 seperate occasions on the 2 large threads said words to the effect that I will and I quote your loveliness ""ok lads, I'll tone down the whingeing"

I also PM'd a couple of the 'tog mods about 7 days ago.

:)

ps Mel and I have had these exchanges b4, like I said earlier I've a soft spot for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Let it go.

Irony :p

Seriously though,is this thread finished with now. Can we give this otb thread a chance and see how it goes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Of all the places they could have picked, it just had to be Cork... Typical. :mad: We're the Jews of Ireland... :(

Well it's Cork like. Tis full of langers like.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ok I said I would come back to this so here is my take on the situation.

The photography forum is a forum that I spend a lot of time browsing. I took photography up as a past time a couple of years ago and its thanks to the forum that I have continued it and captured a few shots that I am proud of. Its thanks to individuals on there that I gave gained a better understanding of photography and I hope to continue this by browsing their work, chatting and meeting them at meets. I am nowhere near as good as the majority on the forum and hope to be able to get the skills to emulate some over time.

I offered to moderate photography on a temporary basis with Dragan when elven stepped down and Fajitas! stepped back due to commitments. What was obvious and was pointed out to us from day one was a quite unsavoury and unfriendly clique had built up and was discouraging lesser experienced posters from participating in the forum without the fear of ridicule. If this is the banter that people are harking for then I suggest that the current mods avoid returning to the old days.

Modding on boards can be a thankless exercise most of the time. With people who have the inherent belief that they are right most of the time taking extreme issue because you told them to get back on topic or to stop calling people names. However every now and then you get a indication that what you are doing is correct and right. Getting pm's from users thanking me for making the forum more accessible and taking on the unfriendly clique that had developed there were definitely a welcome indication that the direction taken was the correct one.

Its quite obvious that no forum should be influenced by a small minority who seem to think its their god given right to hijack it for their own ideal ego massage. Its obvious that people on their own private rebellions should not be allowed to derail the forum for the majority. The witch hunt that has shown its ugly self over the last few days is disgusting and the people who have fuelled it should hang their heads in shame.

So whats the best way forward. Firstly Calina should and is taking a break from the forum. She deserves it given the rubbish she has had to put up with here and over the last few months. Suggestions have been made about an off topic thread to contain the banter, that's a good idea and it should be tried. People should commit to staying within the charter and the slate be wiped clean of previous indiscretions. If anyone steps out of line going forward then they should be dealt with. Hand holding with PM's really shouldn't be an option here unless the person is totally new. Saying you didn't know you were in the wrong when you are an established regular on the board should not wash at all unless you are children. Just because something is allowed on X forums doesn't mean it will be automatically allowed on boards. Also with regard to pimping for business the spark point for this whole situation. If someone is providing useful advice and participating fully in the forum then a blind eye is turned towards them (this is in contrary to the boards policy) as is the case with one or two posters. If someone joins the site with the sole purpose of pimping their business and not contributing to the forum at all I really can't see some peoples issues with them being censored for doing so. Unless the self pimping by established users becomes a problem I think this should be the policy going forward (unless the admins rule otherwise).

Again I would like to thank Calina for her sterling work on the forum and I hope she doesn't let the small minded bullies make the decision for her and stays on as the mod of the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Sully wrote: »
    Already in use in Carlow. Was tired in Waterford but wasn't really ever used. Im sure I am missing other regional foras I think there tried on.

Good idea tho.

yeah i began an off topic thread in carlow a long time ago which is in use and still in use to the present day. It has cleaned up a substantial amount of offtopicness in the carlow forum, for the large amount. I noticed too these type of threads allow new users to introduce themselves informally as well in a witty humour that is not always possibly in informative threads. Definitely would recommend this.

Gandalf that reply smacks too much of whats caused all the problems.(In mine and others opinions of course)
    Sorry to be blunt.
    Some people on one hand probs do agree with what you wrote but on the other hand people would def say "same ole same ole"

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

:(
    People are just not getting us.
    Yes. Its our fault. :rolleyes:

DeV.

Gandalf that reply smacks too much of whats caused all the problems.(In mine and others opinions of course)
    Sorry to be blunt.
    Some people on one hand probs do agree with what you wrote but on the other hand people would def say "same ole same ole"

No mate your not getting it at all. This is not Thumped its boards. Deal with that, calm down. Do what you do best which is take striking gig shots (and good street photography) and let that do your talking.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Gah!!!!
    Read the fecking thread!!!!

I must give up being sarcastic around mods!

Yes, you should. You are not good it, at least in text.

I actually do kinda get you but written sarcasm is far more difficult then verbal and well, clearly yours isnt translating, its just coming off as a mal content who is only marking time and edging closer to the brink, daring people to ban you. Thats how you come off so maybe it might be time to change tack or, you know, take some writing classes :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I must say, unless I'm part of some elite or clique I don't know of, I've always found the photography section friendly and welcoming. I've encouraged many people to go there when they look for photography help. I don't know anyone who found it too elite for them.

In fact, recently I had a friend who posted looking for a wedding photographer, and was thrilled with the helpful responses she got.

A lot of people seem to browse by photography from time to time. They, obviously, don't see the majority of what goes on, and hence they don't see any issues at all, and believe the place is fine.

There are a good number of people who browse there frequently (daily) and many of those do have issue with what has been happening. It's not a case that people want total freedon, or want freedom to go off thread, etc, but they want a fair and relaxed community. And, I do stress "community".

I don't see the case of a "small minority" trying to cause problems. In fact, I see nearly a majority of regular posters posting here saying that things have become too strict and stern. Yes, these people do form a very small minotiry in the scheme of boards overall.

People who don't use photography much need to realise that it differs quite a lot from other sections on boards. It is more community minded, due to meetings, photographic and social events, and the fact that many users know each other in person.

If Calina wants to stand down, that is her decision.

I think this whole thread has been good and healthy, and has allowed people to air their views, without feeling that there might be mod reactions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Wow .... I have just waded through 16 pages tonight. I have been away at a Funeral this weekend & was only able to pop my head into the forum a few times.

I am also glad that Calina has decided to hold her decision to step down for the moment. Some people may have the attitude that it's "Just words on a screen" but those words can hurt. I can only imagine that Calina must be feeling quite bruised right now.

AnimalRights does seem to have ways to push some peoples buttons. He also contributes a lot of really good input to the forum. He reminds me of the poem

There was a little girl, who had a little curl
    Right in the middle of her forehead
    When she was good, she was very, very good.
    But when she was bad she was horrid

In PM's we have seemed to get along & I really do like a lot of what AR has contributed. However some of the stuff that has been directed at Calina has been Bullying. I have been the victim of Workplace Bullying in the past & so am quite sensitive on the subject. It's not something I will tollerate.

I am keen to see how the OTB thread, now called Out of Focus, works out.

The User/Mod divide sort of leaves me a bit cold too. I don't see things as Us & Them. I see myself as 80% User & 20% Mod (75% Nikon & 25% Canon too :D )

I really hope the dust settles soon & we can go back to taking photographs, publishing books, putting on exhibitions & meeting for a few pints.

I have a few new ideas that I am keeping to myself at the moment. After some more pondering I may raise them if they will help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

sineadw wrote: »
    I respect that a *lot* of mod decisions have been 100% right. I feel a little loosening up wouldn't go amiss is all...
    Seems to me that this more or less sums up what a lot of people have been saying on this thread.

Seems like reasonable and constructive feedback, and by the sounds of it, it's already being taken on board. I think an OTB thread is a very good idea in most serious / themed forums tbh, especially in one with as strong a sense of community (despite this little spat) as Photography. No matter how much you're into MA or rugby or photography, you won't spend every minute you're with like-minded people IRL talking seriously about just that ... a bit of general chit-chat and joshing are a normal part of interacting with other people.

Nor should it mean that there can never be a bit of banter in more on-topic threads, or the odd more light-hearted thread, but it should help to keep the signal-to-noise ratio in the main forum to a reasonable level.

Despite the fact that I've never really had the time or dedication to advance much past point-and-shoot myself, I've been a fairly regular lurker in Photography over the years, some fabulous images floating around in there, some great projects (like the Photography Year Book which is on the shelf over my head as I write) and for that matter I've often enjoyed the bit of banter and slagging even if a lot of it goes over my head. Shame to see that disappear, and hopefully this thread has cleared the air a bit and will allow for a fresh start "going forward" as Gandalf keeps saying (hate that bloody phrase! :D).

Hmmm ... perhaps I'll pop into the OTB thread and admit to lurking / spying on yiz all!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Ladies and gentlemen. I have managed to read first four pages. And I don't understand it at all.
    I might be old too much, but I don't have a slightest problem with any of the mods on photography forum. I think everybody who received a warning or even more should consider why that did happen and act accordingly to that.

I have very big respect to all mods and their work. RESPECT!

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

Paulw wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to browse by photography from time to time. They, obviously, don't see the majority of what goes on, and hence they don't see any issues at all, and believe the place is fine.

There are a good number of people who browse there frequently (daily) and many of those do have issue with what has been happening. It's not a case that people want total freedon, or want freedom to go off thread, etc, but they want a fair and relaxed community. And, I do stress "community".

I think this whole thread has been good and healthy, and has allowed people to air their views, without feeling that there might be mod reactions.

As much as you dont see me posting often I do frequent the forum daily from the days of rymus and Oriel* and I do not have an issue with whats been happening...... yes the mods have changed several times and all have had their own way of doing things....... the other thing that's also changed is the people that post there. Different kind of posters requires different kind of moderation.

Do have to agree tho that this thread has been good to air out the aul smelly clothes and hopefully some peace can be had again

*well ever since I signed up, my first post was a link to an "aul ceilingcat is watching you" pic that got taken offence too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

While you all reminisce about Oriel - who here remembers Shrimp? (Hope I got his name right).

I joined just before he departed, but he must have been some character too :)

The legend will never die haha

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Shinjuku wrote: »
    All right, high five! Yeah! Let's party Woooo!:pac::pac::pac:

I'm sorry I won't have contributed anything positive to this thread but I felt compelled to add my disgust at this post. Absolutely uncalled for and goes completely against the spirit of boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

We're the Jews of Ireland... :(

Well ye shouldn't have killed Jesus then.

Delighted Calina will be staying on, a great Mod who cares a lot for Photography and the Forum.

Aside: Didnt the Romans kill Jesus... I was fairly sure it was Centurions who nailed him to the cross. :)

I really have to wonder about this thread because frankly the Photography forum is a shining example of what I would like every other forum to be... Finding the moderating balance is always a trick but by and large everyone seems relatively happy, except Shinjuku who wont have to be annoyed aaaaaany more. Lets see what effect the off topic thread has.

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    Aside: Didnt the Romans kill Jesus... I was fairly sure it was Centurions who nailed him to the cross. :)

He fell on those nails.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

"Centurian Nails, even God himself would be impressed"

I remember the ad well ....

(Mods delete if deemed inappropriate !)

Advertisement