Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Child Seats in a 2d Coupe?

Options
  • 12-01-2009 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi

The Sister is intent on bringing in a certain a 2dr Coupe - its the type of car where the rear seats are just for bags

Is it illegal to fit a child seat into a 2dr Coupe?

We saw one ad which had an Isofix system for the front seat - but is this legal over here? (uk ad)

Is it the same case with booster seats?

Any good answers appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

is it a TT..........??

I have 2 x kids, now 8 & 5, reared almost entirely in coupes. 911 and 968's don't need child seats, as the rears are child-size in the first place.

Previously I've had 2 x TT's, and I've had rear facing babysit in the front and normal babyseat in the rear. As soon as big enough, changed them to booster seats.

Isofix is not a legal requirement anywhere - it's only restraint design. Having it makes things easy, not having it doesn't mean anymore that that it isn't. Legal has nothing to do with it, so of course it's not illegal.

btw, for 2-seater only, with no backseats at all, child seats in the front is o.k.

+1 to your sister, btw, stick with the coupes....:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kurva

galwaytt wrote: »
    911 and 968's don't need child seats, as the rears are child-size in the first place.

Excellent - One more reason push ahead

yeah its a 911 carerra - looking at pistonheads she can pick up a 98'to early 00's for not much more then what she sold her 07' Golf for

haven't been in one myself - so not sure how much you could fit into the back seats - I taught they where more for bags then kids

Besides id say the little fella would be deaf in a month if he had to sit in front of that engine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

If baby goes in the front seat make sure you turn off the airbag. Silly thing to ask, I know..but you'd be surprised at the amount of people who neglect to even consider it.

Coincidence, that, I'm hoping to change to a 996 Cabrio Tip this year !

Fwiw - I know they're cheap in the UK, but VRT man isn't giving us the benefit of the in-the-toilet values to calculate VRT rates yet - did you get a quote from Revenue, yet? (they will have to get it from Rosslare..........:rolleyes: )

Of all the coupe's, the 911 is one of the best for kids - the seats having short bases mean mine can sit properly with their legs down over the front - that is the issue with the TT's - the seat bases are too deep, and their legs are stuck out, forward....meaning they're up against the back of your seat.

I know another guy with a 911 cabrio, for the same reason - it's o.k., by the time they're teenagers/too big for the rear's, they won't want to be seen out with an 'old fart' no matter what the car !! :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

If baby goes in the front seat make sure you turn off the airbag. Silly thing to ask, I know..but you'd be surprised at the amount of people who neglect to even consider it.

not an issue when they're in the back....

OP - don't worry about the noise - the 996's are as quiet as your Golf. The older air cooled ones on the other hand............as my (then) 5yr old said one Sunday, after a quick spin across Connemara.........'my head is just boomin' ' :P :P

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kurva

galwaytt wrote: »

Fwiw - I know they're cheap in the UK, but VRT man isn't giving us the benefit of the in-the-toilet values to calculate VRT rates yet -

Yeah unfortunately its part of the budget - its going to be a case of Vrt costing more the car itself - but on the bright side it'll last forever

But at least its not as bad as a 997 - 38k in Vrt

Advertisement