Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Care to share your opinion?

• 12-01-2009 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Kensutz has posted this thread

As the moderators requested as he posted it in another thread,they are also saying that only a small amount of us have opinions about the way the photography forum is going,so if you have anything you'd like to add to the thread,Please do as i'm sure the posters already posting would like to see others opinions

Thanks

Edit:Can you please on post on Kensutz feedback thread that has been post specifically for those comments and this is only a notification that the thread is there for users that don't go on feedback

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I'd like a more flexible and light hearted Photography forum.
    Where the Mods don't follow the rules to a T.
    I'd also like not to see so many infractions handed out and also none of these numerous warnings for an alleged thread going off topic, unless it is going off by miles like.
    Why can't the Mods remember that they were one of us b4 they became Mods? the minute they became Mods they go all wierd and Headteacherish.
    Lets pretend there are no Mods unless someone really steps out of line and then maybe warn him in a PM like some Mods do here already.
    Don't talk down to the users either.
    If the Mods chill out then it makes it harder for the likes of me to be a cvnt. :D

Lets all be friends in 2009!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I'd like a more flexible and light hearted Photography forum.
    Where the Mods don't follow the rules to a T.
    I'd also like not to see so many infractions handed out and also none of these numerous warnings for an alleged thread going off topic, unless it is going off by miles like.
    Why can't the Mods remember that they were one of us b4 they became Mods? the minute they became Mods they go all wierd and Headteacherish.
    Lets pretend there are no Mods unless someone really steps out of line and then maybe warn him in a PM like some Mods do here already.
    Don't talk down to the users either.
    If the Mods chill out then it makes it harder for the likes of me to be a cvnt. :D

Lets all be friends in 2009!

AR you should also post this in the thread linked as thats where the SMODS and what not will read it

Good points though,have to agree with the fact we were all the same and really still are :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Lets put this issue to bed right here and now, I believe this forum is being moderated incorrectly, but at the end of the day it is being moderated for the users and there views should be listened to.

What I suggest is a poll with a simple question:

Do you think this Forum is being moderated correctly?

If the outcome is Yes than I for one will concede that is is being moderated the way the most importants people on boards, the users, want it, if the outcome is no the I would expect some changes to be made.

Maybe I am over simplyfying things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

I said my part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Lets put this issue to bed right here and now, I believe this forum is being moderated incorrectly, but at the end of the day it is being moderated for the users and there views should be listened to.

What I suggest is a poll with a simple question:

Do you think this Forum is being moderated correctly?

If the outcome is Yes than I for one will concede that is is being moderated the way the most importants people on boards, the users, want it, if the outcome is no the I would expect some changes to be made.

Maybe I am over simplyfying things!

Every member will have a different view and as this issue has clocked up over 100 pages on feedback people should be entitled to an opinion on their views on the forum,As AR just posted,he also made suggestions which if mod do read over might take on board and cinsider doing these things differently,A poll is the easy way out its very easy for someone to come on and click yes or no,where as when they have to explain we can really see if they have a reason why they like of dislike the forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Every member will have a different view and as this issue has clocked up over 100 pages on feedback people should be entitled to an opinion on their views on the forum,As AR just posted,he also made suggestions which if mod do read over might take on board and cinsider doing these things differently,A poll is the easy way out its very easy for someone to come on and click yes or no,where as when they have to explain we can really see if they have a reason why they like of dislike the forum

Good point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Thanks Ricky,

A bit disturbing that such a post is shunted away from where the users are.

I agree that moderation should be, where possible, taken away from the forum , and dealt with as a PM. That's not always feasible, but postings that say, "the following named people are infracted" etc are really unhelpful.

I think this may be related ( after more such incidenses) to this morning's post of last night's events. As, imo, a very good Mod ended that series of posts at 2am without negative comment or infractions etc said much more than what happened afterwards.

People do take the mick on here and should rightly be taken to task where they overstep the mark, but the vast majority are normal posters imo. I and others I know, have restricted any vaguely humerous comments in case of consequences. Lighten up a bit everyone.

A purely factual Forum is quite honestly a boring pain in the a*se.

Lets get back to where we were about a year ago, unless that is, moderators can document a vast increase in the number of complaints in the meantime.

T.

NB (expressing thanks on this post may have consequences:p )

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Hummm I have been a poster on this forum, specifically Photography, for quite a long time, I was here before current...and even previous mods(Elven and Fajitas!) come onboard. Whilst I have noticed an increase in mod powers being 'exercised' I have also noticed alot more trouble on the forum, blatent off topicness, smartassness, poo stiring and whatnot, An Cath Dubh, is rather new so may be used to this and take it hand in hand, but Calina has been around longer and knows what this place 'can' be like, i know most your issues are with her, thats why I'm pushing the point with her, I believe she's clamping down a little harder cos she knows its not how this are on boards, especially here.

fair enough I've had my run ins and issues with the lass, but in fairness to her, she's modding grand and it's a core group that run in with her all the time... you know who you are ;).

Some may see the issue being

"I don't like the way the forum is being modded"

I'd think others may see the issue as

"I don't like the way people are posting"

my 2 cents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

As someone who posts on the drier side of things (purely photographic 95% of the time) I don't see much (any) moderation that is objectionable.

I may disagree with AR when he says that rules shouldn't be followed to a T (but maybe that's just my legal background crying out ;) ). They should. But what shouldn't happen is that the rules are so constricting that no fun is to be had.

So don't disobey the law...lobby the powers that be to change them if you find them unjust :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I left the dp review forum (well a section of it) recently as that there seemed to be no mods on it whatsoever.....

A couple of weeks ago there was a thread there where a newb made a blatent mistake with his camera and started blaming his equipment. Many started shouting at him, criticising him excessivly and in essence they were saying he was a tic bollo#
    In the end the newb user was banned. Whers the fairness??

Another recent one (see sony slr pma news on dp review). A well respected user that runs another site (alpha mount world) was excessively criticised..... All he said that he expects big news for sony there. Some people came down on him like a ton of bricks because he made a dud prediction last year. So what, people make mistakes!

This is what can happen due to lax or no moderating. Stay the way we are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Feck double post sorry :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

kensutz wrote: »
    I said my part.

Same

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

As you know I am a shiny new Mod here. Even though I have 08 plates on there is that "new" smell :)

Some comments & observations. I find this forum to be a very helpful place for photography & generally quite friendly. I had no ambitions to become a Mod & had not really considered it. When I received the PM that asked if I would consider it I thought it was going to be a message to say I had done something wrong. There is a saying that I recalled "The desire to be a Politician should be an automatic exclusion" and it was with that in mind I accepted.

Those who have been Mods here or on other boards will realise that there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes. It seems to be a constant process of diplomacy. The three of us who are active here all have different styles & personalities but we do consult with each other a lot. The aim is always to keep this Forum as a good as possible within the bounds set by Boards. It is & always will be a matter of compromise & some decisions will upset some users, but that is inevitable. Mistakes will be made as we are all human. Most of the posts I make are as a user, just as I have done since I started posting here.

As well as being active on this forum I have been active on another, non photograpy, internet forum since 2000. It is a completely different place to here. There are Mods but there is a policy that users work things out themselves. It is a much rougher place than here. A lot of the general chat that goes on there without an eyebrow raised would result in a Site Ban here. It is a fun place for the regulars there BUT can be a daunting place for a Noob to post in. Some users here maybe should consider finding places online where they too can vent steam in an environment that allows it (I am not telling you where my place is!!) then come back in here when you have done so. There will also be some who will always push the envelope & try to see how far it will stretch. Those that do that here will find that when it breaks the rules here are quite strict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I dont see a huge problem, ok some things may be taken a bit too seriously but then not everyone hs the same sense of humor and can 'get' what the meaning of a comment is, be it sarcastic, funny etc so although one person may see the moderation being over the top another may see it as completely just.

I have not come across any moderation in the photography forum that I have not agreed with really, I had one specific incident where insults were thrown and I was very pleased to see the quick action of mods. So I guess I am pretty happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

As Ricky has requested please direct all posts to this thread which is in the feedback forum.

In the interest of keeping visibility of all posts available to the system admins i'm doing two things:
    • closing this thread such that users will only post on feedback.
    • temporarily "stickying" this thread to ensure it doesn't fall away and to give it the prominence it deserves.
    I do hope people will see this as a sensible action but pm me should there be any issue.

Again the thread to post is this thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement