Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hughes and Hughes in Ennis

• 12-01-2009 1:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Is it just me or has the standard of books that Hughes and Hughes in Ennis are selling has declined. When it first opened my friend and I used to go in there looking at the books during our lunch break (yeah we were a bit geeky). I used to buy a book there nearly every week. I was in there over Christmas 2008 and a lot of the stuff in their fiction section is light chick lit (Cecilia Ahern, Maeve Binchy that crowd). The philosophy/Science section has declined even further. I can remember seeing a copy of Kant's Critique of Pure Reason there years ago when I was in Secondary School. Hell I bought Ayer's Language, Truth and Logic there (terrific book).

Any thoughts on the matter anyone?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Any chance they are closing soon? The store in Shannon Airport is gone and about to be replaced by WH Smith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

The selection of books has narrowed alot in most bookshops these days. They have a bajillon copies of the best sellers, and precious little else. I'd say it's down to customer habits as much as shops being lazy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Could it be that selling 1 book a week from an area where people were coming in to on a daily basis rather than stocking up on popular best sellers could be regarded as good business sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭midgetflynn

Melion wrote: »
    Any chance they are closing soon? The store in Shannon Airport is gone and about to be replaced by WH Smith
    Ya,I was thinking that myself when I saw WH Smith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

I went in there for the first time in ages this week to find that the Art section had like two books left. They used to cater for every subcategory under the sun from Fauvism to Van Gogh to paper craft. I guess they just weren't selling as much as they'd expected to.

On a not unrelated note, AH THAT'S THE LAST TIME I'M GOING TO COSTA. €2.80 for a cup of tea??? You've got to be joking me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭REPSOC1916

On a not unrelated note, AH THAT'S THE LAST TIME I'M GOING TO COSTA. €2.80 for a cup of tea??? You've got to be joking me.

The staff are nice there though if you're a regular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭REPSOC1916

The staff are nice there though if you're a regular. They used to undercharge me and my friends there sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

All their books are ordered centrally now where as before each individual store had some leeway in what titles they chose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

costa are also charging 40 cent a muffin eat in. between me and my mate it was €1.60 sit down charge if you include the extra charge on the coffee. old bewleys is better.

i like hughes and hughes upstairs, nice selection there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 puffbubble

Yeah, I think Hughes & Hughes went bust and a company bought out only the Dublin Airport and Ennis stores. It's almost like they are clearing tat and dumbing down the stock...shame, but even before the bust it was difficult to get some books. I tried to order a book from them just before last Christmas...The Life and Climbs of Banjo Bannon...freely available on Amazon, and profiled on Gerry Ryan, but they claimed never to have heard of it and tried to tell me it didn't exist just because it wasn't on their "system". So I'm not sure the old retail model was any good either...try the Ennis Book Shop, at least they will go out of their way to help you, otherwise shop online and run the risk of killing off all bookshops and the chance to spend a casual half hour or so browsing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

monellia wrote: »

A fiver for coffee is also bit dear, then again, thats the same price Starbucks charge and they are everywhere as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

CptSternn wrote: »
    A fiver for coffee is also bit dear, then again, thats the same price Starbucks charge and they are everywhere as well.

5 for coffee? Seems unlikely!
    I was not aware starbucks had opened in ennis?

Advertisement