Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A couple of Carrauntoohil pics

• 12-01-2009 3:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

Climbed Carrauntoohil there just before Christmas. Its the highest mountain in the Macgillycuddy's Reeks mountain range and the highest in Ireland, for those that dont know it, at 1038m high. It took us 5 hours in total to reach the summit.

It was freezing! On the way up the "Devil's Ladder" the entire cliff face was covered in icicles. The summit itself was well below freezing so i didnt actually get to take that many pics, i couldnt actually hold the camera. But managed to get a few snaps. Thought id share them.

C+C is welcome if anywone has opinions. Click for larger image.

1 3189201257_8708f27aa0.jpg

2 3190045980_f7476907bf.jpg

3 3189200489_6d1602a27a.jpg

4 3189201953_24b76a6847.jpg

5 3190044400_06b70b6664.jpg

6a 3189201581_1e14cf3640.jpg

6b 3190045200_1910b4711a.jpg

Kieran

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

5 and 6 are my favourites. 5 could do with some sharpening though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

These are magnificent Kieran, I've never done Carrauntoohil but will do sometime soon. Reminds me of the trek up Kilimanjaro (5895m) last September, so I'm keen to try Carrauntoohil. 3 and 6b are my favourites - it looks like a fair old slog.

Hugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

PS 4 would be brilliant (for me) if there was a little more detail in the shadows ... did you shoot RAW?

H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

Hugh_C wrote: »
    PS 4 would be brilliant (for me) if there was a little more detail in the shadows ... did you shoot RAW?

H

Ya i shoot RAW all the time. It was quite a hard day to shoot in actually because of the major contrast between the sky and the shadowy mountains. #4 is actually my first attempt at a HDR. Il have another go at #4. If i knew how to use Photoshop properly i know i could do a lot more with them :o

Was a really hard slog to get up there, obviously not as hard as Kilimanjaro, but i found it difficult. Doing it in the winter also isnt the best time with the limitations on light, and obviously the temperature. Well worth it for the views though, and the sense of achievement :D

I like 6b myself, will try to make it a bot sharper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

love 3 some brilliant shots there.

did it before and took 6 hours to get up there its tough going but worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Lovely shots!

Really make you want to be there instead of sitting in an office. :(
    You got a great day for it.

I really like #2 for some reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Love number five.. Has something about it.. I see your problem, on a day like that its hard to combine the darkness of the mountains with the bright sky.. Still, you did very well and a nice set.. On second look, number two is good, maybe brighten up the foreground..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I'm liking the silhouettes of 6.a and 6.b
    You probably just got unlucky with the time of the day with the glare in those pics.
    Good set Kieran.

Would love to get down there someday :)

It is a great spot alright. If you plan on taking your time with taking pictures, i would suggest going in the summer though. When we went we were fighting against the sun. Had to get up and down before 4ish before the sun went down. And because it takes so long, you really need to go early. We were rushing all day because we didnt get there till 11.

I would tell ye that it isnt for the faint hearted. I was absolutely shattered by the end of it, and was considering giving up a few times on the way up. It really is a hard slog.

There were loads of excellent photo oportunities there though, if only i had more time.

Was just meesing with one of the shots in photoshop ...

Any opinions?

- bit more sharpness added
    3198240698_379f8afde2.jpg

- more contrast and colour etc ... (cant actually remember what i did) - Plus a border.
    3198240584_e5c1afba14.jpg

i like the shot, not sure how to make it look better though...

EDIT:
    - or black and white
    3198263308_f85379c7d6.jpg

• Advertisement

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

number 2 all the way,i love the xtra contrast

Advertisement