Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Somebody estimate this service/repair cost for me

Options
  • 12-01-2009 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭

right so im due a service in 300 miles but i also want a little repair work done, im gonna send this one to a main dealer just because its the first service since the car left the uk, somebody give me a rough estimate

2004 kia sorento, 70k miles, 2.5 CRDi

heres what i want done :

change air filter
    change fuel filter
    change engine, transmission, transfer case oil
    change brake fluid
    tighten handbrake cable
    change 1 fuel injector
    clean other 3 fuel injectors
    tighten up the brakes a little
    replace speed sensor (it was a recall in the uk, does it apply here ?)

anyone give me an estimate

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

right so im due a service in 300 miles but i also want a little repair work done, im gonna send this one to a main dealer just because its the first service since the car left the uk, somebody give me a rough estimate

2004 kia sorento, 70k miles, 2.5 CRDi

heres what i want done :

change air filter
    change fuel filter
    change engine, transmission, transfer case oil
    change brake fluid
    tighten handbrake cable
    change 1 fuel injector
    clean other 3 fuel injectors
    tighten up the brakes a little
    replace speed sensor (it was a recall in the uk, does it apply here ?)

anyone give me an estimate

OK, any mechanic seeing this list is going to ask you the following questions before even thinking of a price...

(1) Why are you replacing a fuel injector??? Has this been diagnosed as a problem, (i.e. has it been removed and tested and if it was and found to be defective, why wasn't a new one put back in then, saving time and money).

(2) Why do you want the remaining three injectors removed and cleaned, this is a highly unusual request and one that will most likely not be entertained, unless you have a serious problem with your engine that would warrant this kind of intervention.

(3) In the context of the above requests, why do you want the brake fluid replaced, this is usually done when brake shoes or pads are replaced?

(4) Is there a problem with the engine speed sensor??? If not, leave it alone until there is a problem is my advice.

(5) I don't have Autodata on this PC and it isn't great on Kia anyway, but I don't think your car is scheduled for a transmission oil change, so again, why is it on your list???

You are setting yourself up for a stupid bill with that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

1) its a condition that occurs with the sorentos where on a cold morning it starts like a bag of nails till it heats up a little, everyone else with the problem just needed 1 injector replaced, they all have to be removed to find out which ones fúcked , so may as well clean them while there finding it.

3) i dont know if the brake fluid has been changed but just a peace of mind thing

4)there is, the power steering on my car doesnt turn on at start at random about once every 3-4 weeks, others whove had the problem state speed sensor just needs to be replaced and it only affected a certain vin range number, there was a recall in the uk and my vehicle is within range, does it apply here ?

5) transmission fluid has reached that chocolate colour

Advertisement