Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

physics masters

Options
  • 12-01-2009 3:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

hi guys,
    dont know if this is the right place and if im asking the right questions as its not directly related to me.
    my sister is in her final year of college doing a joint honours degree of maths and physics. she is pretty stressed over the double workload so applications for masters programmes and further study are often pushed aside. im basically trying to find out how a few things for her.
    im wondering how competetive it is to get the masters? do the majority of people who apply get one?
    what im really wondering about is how to get grants. she has no idea how to go about getting funding if she was accepted. there doesnt seem to be much information.
    she went to the career guidance counceller in college but as her joint honours course has so little aplicants then there is very little knowledge there to help her.

i know i probably left out important details such as what she wants to do her masters in but il find out if people need me to. any help with master appliactions with regards to maths/physics would be a great help.

thanks!

ps i dont know if this should be moved so feel free to move it.(sorry!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Warmaster

First of all I have to ask why she wants the masters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dml

She needs to clarify for herself (a) why she wants the Master's and (b) the area of interest. There is a range of taught MScs covering a number of different areas in Physics, and also when you look at MPhil topics (research Master's only), then there is an astounding no. of topics. So, a lot would depend on what she actually wants to do - what are her career aims? As this would influence (a) what she studies and (b) where she studies it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 XSarahX

might be a little late to reply but i thought it would be nice to do it!

turns out she was approached by one of her lecturers to do one a month ago!! so she is going to do that!

all the drama and she didnt even have to apply! thanks for the replys though.:)

Advertisement