Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some facts

Options
  • 12-01-2009 3:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭

sorry for my crap thread last night, but thought this might be of interest

http://web2.airmail.net/danb1/european.htm

dublin doesnt do too bad but then you have to remind yourself its based on captial cities and not on all major cities.

well anywya enjoy.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Some interesting stats alright - look at wettest and rainiest! Some suprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Dublin - 21 days with snow? Are these facts correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

arctictree wrote: »

Has Dublin ever seen -21?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

arctictree wrote: »

And London has 100 more days per year with precipitation than Dublin?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I dont believe those facts... there is no way Dublin gets 21 days of snow per year, nowhere in Ireland gets that, we'll be lucky if there was 21 days of snow in Dublin over the past 10 years combined. London gets snow more than Dublin and its not even in the Top10 for snow, heck even Athens in Greece has seen more snow than Dublin in recent winters!

I dont believe that London see's that many wet days either (226) compared to Dublins (139).. London and the South-East of England is ususally much dryer than Ireland especially in the Summer when their heatwaves can go on for weeks while it rains in Ireland..

I also think that London see's a better variety of weather than Dublin, they get more exteme heat in the Summer, and they get more Thunderstorms in the summer and sometimes can see more cold and snow from Easterlys due to its proximity to the North Sea and the Continent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

.21 days of snow be more accurate.

Also Dublin is avg colder than the likes of Warsaw, Poland and Budapest, Hungary. Even though Dublin temp does deviate much above or below the line annually. Poland and Hungary winters are much harsher than here, i think these cities would generally be colder over the 12 months due to this.

I think the likes of Belfast and Edinburgh would be avg colder than Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Some interesting statistics alright but i would question many of em .

Milan : most variety of Weather ........343 foggy days.....:rolleyes:

Helsinki: least variety (no 10).......yet is mentioned in 7 captions........:rolleyes:

Some of those stats might be correct but for the most of em ......imo.....hmmmmm.........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Snowbie wrote: »
    .21 days of snow be more accurate.

:D

I have read before that London is indeed wetter than Dublin on a yearly basis. I think this would be correct to be honest, although anytime i am in Dublin it is always pissing rain. (probably follows me :D)

Dublin is probably colder though on average I reckon, but I am open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Dublin has 21.6 snow days... http://www.met.ie/climate/dublinairport.asp and our own lads confirm it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I suspect Dublin is on average colder than London - the summers there tend to be much hotter than Dublin and I don't think the winters are significantly colder than Dublin.

When I was in college, a lot of the 'country folk' (will not use any offensive terms here!) commented on how little rain there appeared to be in Dublin and how cold it was in winter compared to 'home'. I remember thinking at the time that I spent 5 years cycling to and from school every day and that there was only a very small handfull of occasions per year that you would arrive in school or arrive home soaked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

London gets between 12 and 16 days snow falling... http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/so/maps/dss_17.gif

However, the rain days data may be questionable...
    Dublin gets 128 days of 1mm or more, compared to London's 100 to 120 range...
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/so/maps/dr1_17.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Danno wrote: »
    Dublin has 21.6 snow days... http://www.met.ie/climate/dublinairport.asp and our own lads confirm it.
    Not shooting the messenger at all Danno but thats the 1960-1991 avg and also stating snow or sleet falling as 21.6 days.
    4.5 days with snow lying at 0900 also.
    Being a Dub and living here all my life, there is a big difference between that timeframe above compared to now. Outdated info but it is what we go on. There has been very little if any snow lying at Dub AP in the last few years here so 4.5 days taking the 60-91 avg and using a 1960 - 2009 avg would be significantly reduced from 4.5days. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Moral,

Don't believe everything you read....

I think most of the issues such as the 21 days of snow AND SLEET and also period 1961-90 have been explained out.

Mothman wrote: »
    Moral,

Don't believe everything you read....
    Indeed...

Is there an electronic version of the phrase paper never refused ink ?

Advertisement