Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharks

Options
  • 12-01-2009 5:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭

Are they something you think about when heading for a swim or a surf?

They never really crossed my mind up until the last few weeks but there's quite high amount of attacks taking place recently (three in the last three days for instance).

Obviously it has a lot to do with what sort of areas you're swimming in and all that but some of the attacks have been relatviely close to shore.

So does the recent spate of attacks put you off getting into the water?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Are they something you think about when heading for a swim or a surf?

They never really crossed my mind up until the last few weeks but there's quite high amount of attacks taking place recently (three in the last three days for instance).

Obviously it has a lot to do with what sort of areas you're swimming in and all that but some of the attacks have been relatviely close to shore.

So does the recent spate of attacks put you off getting into the water?

I don't go out far enough for a swim to worry about sharks but there has been quite a few news reports lately. Saying that though they do tend to come quite close to the shore I've heard.

Do ye get many shark sightings over in WA? I was on Coogee beach at the weekend and people seemed to be wary of the sharks.

When I was up in Queensland at Christmas I definitely was more worried about stingrays and the feckin jelly fish though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

It's not really something I think about.
    I though that there were pretty much no sharks around Melbourne, but then there was a 3 meter monster caught in Port Phillip :eek:.

Where have most of the recent sightings/attacks been taking place?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Do ye get many shark sightings over in WA?

Yep.

One guy was taken by a shark just south of Perth city last week and his body still hasn't been found.

Over Christmas pretty much all the main beaches were closed at some stage due to shark sightings from between 50 to 150 metres off the main shore. That's pretty close considering kite surfers etc would be out quite far. One was a pretty feckin big hammerhead.
    Where have most of the recent sightings/attacks been taking place?

Everywhere really.

As I said, a guy was taken here last week. The three in the past three days were at Lake Illawarra in Windang (south of Sydney), Fingal Beach in northern NSW and just off Tassie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Xavi to answer your question, I never ever get in the water unless im strapped with my 9mm glock, locked and loaded.

Then at least i know that if a shark trys to cause drama I can step back an start spraying hollowpoints like a bitch.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    One was a pretty feckin big hammerhead.

I saw footage of that on the news, twas near Sydney I think. Scary looking focker. To be fair, I'd cack myself if I was sitting on my surf board and I saw a fin ANYWHERE, nevermind actually near me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

To be fair, I'd cack myself if I was sitting on my surf board and I saw a fin ANYWHERE, nevermind actually near me.

Here, the finnish arent that bad man. :D:D:pac::pac::D:D

Here, the finnish arent that bad man. :D:D:pac::pac::D:D

Lol!!! Scary fockers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

my folks are over in perth at the moment, was just on the phone to them, nad they were mentioning the shark attacks... i started freaking and telling them to shut up (in much the same manner as when im dying in the 30 degree heat here, and people start telling me how hot it is in sydney), next thing the bleedin mother starts talking about how many spiders etc there are there :mad:

but i was feeling relatively calm about it all, cos, y'no, perth is a couple of time zones away from sydney....

I saw footage of that on the news, twas near Sydney I think. Scary looking focker. To be fair, I'd cack myself if I was sitting on my surf board and I saw a fin ANYWHERE, nevermind actually near me.

until i read this. ^ :eek::mad: *cowers*

ok, so there's sharks in the water in nz, and a mate of mine whose life is basically surfing (or skateboarding when the waves are fail), has had a few stories to tell me about coming across them, etc... but it was never really a big issue for me. cos there's not really been much of a deal made of them over here where i surf. warmer water and currents, yes, but not here (though, boys look away
    and ive had this conversation with a few chicks i surf with... there's something about that time of the month that always makes you that little bit more paranoid about it
    )... and ill avoid surfing at dawn or dusk (or just feel really paranoid about dusk)... dusk is just such a pretty time to surf at my favourite beach, watch the sun setting over cave rock, and the red sky catching on the white of the waves, and awww, it's just all so pretty :D but definitely a paranoia there.

i dont know how im going to be in sydney though. suppose ill get back to ye in a week :eek:

Advertisement