Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another PC World problem

Options
  • 12-01-2009 7:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I was in Jervis Street yesterday looking for a digital camera. I checked in Boots and I checked in PC World.

I saw a camera on special in Boots and went over to check in PC World before I bought it. I noticed that PC World had a lowest price guarantee and that they would beat any local price by 10%. The camera was 30% more in PC World than in Boots.

I finally got one of the "Sales Assistants" in PC World to talk to me and asked him about the guarantee. He told me that if I brought in the receipt from Boots he would give me the camera at the same price less a further 10% (anyone noticing a slight problem here?)

When I finally got him to understand that I didn't want 2 cameras he said that they could do the price less 10%, however, they were now magically out of stock of the camera!!

I had had enough at this stage and just went over to Boots and bought the camera there, unfortunately, the memory cards were far cheaper in PC World than anywhere else in Jervis, so I ended up buying them in PC World

Has anyone ever managed to get the Lowest Price Guarantee to be honoured in PC World?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I used to work in DSG years back and I can tell you 'Guarentees' vary from shop to shop as some managers are wankstars and others are the you have ever seen.

Also I would believe them on the out of stock thing, as DSG group depends on allocation of stocks from the UK (or used to). we were always out of stock for the decent things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Those "lowest price guarantee" things are a load of sh1t. There are usually so many terms and conditions attached (like bring a receipt for one you already bought, not valid on sale items, or the other shop has to be within 5 feet of this shop), that it makes it impossible to actually meet the requirements.

Any shop where you have to go and prove it's cheaper elsewhere, instead of just keeping their prices low in the first place, doesn't deserve your business. I'd always buy from the cheaper shop in the first place. The other ones are just being lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

When I worked for them I had no problem giving the guarantee. Gave a massive one for a 1tb drive back when they were new. Managers never minded as long as head office were made aware of it so they could update the price.

You should have asked if any other stores had it in stock. It can be checked easily.

The guarantee wouldn't have actually applied in your case. It doesn't apply if the price in the other shop is a special offer (sale price etc). This is the same as any other lowest price guarantees iv ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

jahalpin wrote: »
    I finally got one of the "Sales Assistants" in PC World to talk to me and asked him about the guarantee. He told me that if I brought in the receipt from Boots he would give me the camera at the same price less a further 10% (anyone noticing a slight problem here?)

By receipt he probably meant a quote, or some sort of documentation with the price of the camera. That's all that they should require to honour the discount, however with the camera being "on special" in boots, the chances are they can't honour sale prices...

Advertisement