Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware of flying cyclists (...and icy roads )

• 12-01-2009 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Wrap up, there's a wave of cold weather coming

STRONG gales and heavy rain battered Ireland over the weekend and the trend looks set to continue.

Weather forecasts for the coming days make for dreary reading with cold temperatures, rain, frost and wind expected.

Travellers experienced delays over the weekend and a number of ferry crossings and flights were cancelled due to the adverse weather conditions.

The Rosslare to Pembroke sailing due to depart from Rosslare last night at 9pm was cancelled by Irish Ferries due to adverse weather conditions at sea.

This morning's 2.45am sailing from Pembroke to Rosslare was also cancelled. Stena Line cancelled yesterday's 12.15pm Belfast to Stranraer crossing, however, the reason for the cancellation is unknown.
    Delays

There were no major flight delays or cancellations into Shannon and Cork airports, but a number of Aer Lingus flights between Dublin and London Heathrow were cancelled.

Aer Lingus flights to Malaga and Prague were delayed for two hours last night due to an earlier closure of the runway because of crosswinds.
    People are advised to wrap up warmly tonight with frost expected to develop in many places and temperatures falling to zero or a little below, according to Met Eireann.

Tomorrow will be cold and bright with sunny spells and occasional heavy rain and hail shows.

Motorists are advised to drive with caution as it will turn very cold and very frosty tomorrow night with a danger of some icy roads and patches of fog.

Wednesday will be cold, bright and dry at first. Cloud and rain will spill into western areas during the afternoon but it will stay dry further east until after dark.

Wednesday night is likely to be fairly mild with rain at times; mostly light, especially in eastern areas.

However, according to Met Eireann, it will be very windy and very wet in all areas on Thursday with heavy rain, gale force southerly winds and a risk of local flooding, especially in western areas.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Sounds like you're trying to take Joe Bastardi's job.

At least the SW winds are bringing warmer temperatures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Thursday morning had better not be too windy to delay my flight to NY!

*crosses fingers*

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

conditions great this morning, the gods are on our side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Pesky strong headwind and new bigger gear on the fixie had me going pretty slow today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

I dunno what yer on about Ive just had the most glorious 50k spin down here in Galway, sun shining, no wind, even had to take my arm warmers off!! hope the good weathers coming your way!!

• Advertisement

Yeah today was pretty warm (even at 7:30am), I was thinking that it'd be a fine day to get out for a long spin if that work thing didn't get in the way. Pity it's not going to last but thanks for the heads up Caroline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Needabike

@richiemack

were you out in a CSC jersey today...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Got a nice 2hr spin this morn.Cracker of a day for it.Was well wrapped though (as I am only over a heavy chest cold and being asthmatic doesnt help).
    Plenty of sunshine,plenty of mud on the road from the farmers to keep me alert.Better getthe miles in before Thurs looking at the forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

Needabike wrote: »
    @richiemack

were you out in a CSC jersey today...

Jeez Im not sure whats on it, I bought cos its my favourite colour, orange!! never even looked to see what was written on it

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The ice on the Sally Gap was gone this morning. Looks like the weekend's rain finally washed it away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

Pretty handy coming home too this evening, not much wind and a pleasant temperature

Advertisement