Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bought car in NI. what next?

Options
  • 12-01-2009 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Ok, so I bought a car in Belfast on Saturday so now need to re register it here.
    I just have a few questions on the process itself.
    1. Do they atually look at the car when you are re registering?
    2. Do I pay the VRT and the road tax there and then?
    3. How soon do I need to get it NCT'd and do I just go through the normal process of arranging the test?
    4. How long can I expect to spend in the VRO?

All help appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

1. Do they actually look at the car when you are re registering?

Yes they can request a look at the car so bring it to the VRO.
    2. Do I pay the VRT and the road tax there and then?

You don't pay the road tax there. You do this on-line or in the motor tax office (if doing it on line you use the last 4 digits of the chassis/VIN number as the pin). You will have to pay the VRT (unless they have to send off the VIN to Rosslare to check the extras, they only do this if the car is 4 years old or less). You cannot pay cash, Laser only allowed up to €1,500 or so. No credit cards either. Cheque or Bank Draft
    3. How soon do I need to get it NCT'd and do I just go through the normal process of arranging the test?

If it's over 4 years old then it needs a test. Just book it in the normal way a few days after the car is registered. Don't try to do it immediately as it might not be on the system for a few days.
    4. How long can I expect to spend in the VRO?

Depends on the office, the process itself only takes 30 mins max. But it depends on the queue. Might be short these days with economy tightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭scubagit

Yes they can request a look at the car so bring it to the VRO.

You don't pay the road tax there. You do this on-line or in the motor tax office (if doing it on line you use the last 4 digits of the chassis/VIN number as the pin). You will have to pay the VRT (unless they have to send off the VIN to Rosslare to check the extras, they only do this if the car is 4 years old or less). You cannot pay cash, Laser only allowed up to €1,500 or so. No credit cards either. Cheque or Bank Draft

If it's over 4 years old then it needs a test. Just book it in the normal way a few days after the car is registered. Don't try to do it immediately as it might not be on the system for a few days.

Depends on the office, the process itself only takes 30 mins max. But it depends on the queue. Might be short these days with economy tightening.

So once I register the car I tax it in the usual way ond not in the VRO??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Yes you use this form to tax it:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/forms/formrf100.pdf

Use this form to register it. i.e. This is the form you have to have filled out for the people in the VRO:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/forms/vrt4frm.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

You can tax it online once you pay the VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

It happened to me that they didnt have my car on the system. Wasnt able to register for another 2 weeks but they gave gave me a letter saying that I had car declared. BUt I think it was just the official I got..he seemed convinced I had load a extras which I didnt...so he was (old civil servant type) determined to be extra sure...

Lucky as cops stopped me with English reg plates...they were pissed off I had letter as they were dying to impound me..:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭scubagit

Cheers for the help so far guys.
    So is the online vrt calculator accurate? i.e. Can I get the bank draft based on that and also if i do get pulled and the vehicle impounded, what is the release fee?
    cheers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

scubagit wrote: »
    Cheers for the help so far guys.
    So is the online vrt calculator accurate? i.e. Can I get the bank draft based on that and also if i do get pulled and the vehicle impounded, what is the release fee?
    cheers again.

No I wldnt do that as my tax was €500 less than what the online calculator told me

. Go to the VRT office with papers etc. They will tell you how much it is and you will get 10-14 days to come back with a bank draft. You can also pay by cheque. Make sure you have your RSI number.

As long as you have the car declared and with a letter to prove it..there is nothing much the cops can do.

If it gets impounded, they will hold onto it until yo pay the VRT and I think its over €100.00 per day for holding the car but I cant be sure about that...bttm line..it will hurt your pocket

Advertisement