Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Reconnection Fee? Landlord or Me?

Options
  • 12-01-2009 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Agreed to move into a new apartment. Originally the landlord was going to organise the reconnection of the electricity for the apartment. Then he emailed me and asked me to do it. I reckon he decided he didn't want to pay the 100euro fee.

Anyway, simple question, who should pay it?

I would appreciate your views

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

Landlords responsibility to pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 polevault

It depends who can be bothered. I have done the re-connection myself a couple of times and it was no big deal. When you disconnect you get a refund, its prob best that you do it and do the reading etc yourself, afterall any time i was a tennant i much preferred to be in control of these things myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I didn't know there was such a thing as a disconnection refund. I thought you had to pay a similar fee to disconnect??

Obviously, I would prefer if he paid and I also think he should because is it not his responsibility to transfer the account from the old tenant to his name while the apartment is empty? It was the last tenant who disconnected the supply so why should I pay for reconnection.

However, if there is a disconnection refund then i can just disconnect when I'm moving out and get my money back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Deffiantely would have thought it would be the landlords responsibility to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I'm a landlord. I'd pay it.

• Advertisement

He's now saying we should pay half each. At this point, i don't want to give the man my deposit since there will most certainly be problems getting it back in 12 months. Especially if he's arguing over 100euro.

It's nearly a week since this started and i was going to pay 1150 a month. So he's lost out on a weeks rent (about 280euro) so he can get the 50 euro off me.

He's either incredible thick or stupid. Most probably both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Tell him you'll do it so that you're in control of the meter reading etc. but agree that you'll deduct it from your next rent payment. You've rented an apartment that should have electricty already connected. It's certainly the landlord's obligation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Just find somewhere else. It is not like it is difficult find a place these days. From your message, this landlord smacks of being the type who won't give you back a deposit, will make your life a misery etc. Also, it's an obligation to have an electricity connection before renting a place:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home/repairs-maintenance-and-minimum-physical-standards

Thanks for the replies. I've decided to start looking for new apartment even though i was really keen on this one.

Advertisement