Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in City centre...

Options
  • 12-01-2009 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hey all,

I'm thinking of renting a house off O'Connell avenue, anyone have any comments on how safe it is around there, whether on-street car parking is a disaster waiting to happen, or indeed any other comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

i lived in town for...2 years? down by the GPO. i found it really handy being close to town for when i just wanted to pop out to grab something or catch up with my mum when she was in town. i worked on catherine street so it was really handy being close to work (didn't mean i wasn't late!!). i had been living in annacotty previously and twas a b!tch getting home. um..yeah. i didn't drive but had a car park with my apartment so can't comment on parking.
    one thing i hated was lack of outside space. i had a mini balcony but really, that was the one bad thing. im a sucker for outside space.
    noise was a problem..not so much loud noise (though come kick out time it could get a bit rowdy with people coming out of clohessy's) but there's a constant dull roar. but you get used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

lived in glenthworth street for 2 years loved it! parked on the street never once had a problem. still leave my car overnight there when i go out in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

I'm living on O'Callaghan Strand, just on the opposite side of the river from the city centre, really handy, very quiet area and a very short walk to town only about 2 minutes will have you on Henry street.

O'Connell Avenue is a very nice area of town, can be very quiet, but there are about 5 or 6 schools and a college in or around the area which means traffic can get very busy at peak times, parking though isn't usually much of a problem with on street parking on both sides of the street.also you wouldn't be worrying about after club noise as there are none out that side of town,it's within walking distance but i'd say you're talking about 10 minutes to O'Connell street/William Street depending where on O'Connell Avenue the house is, and there are pleanty of pubs and a few shops up that side also pretty close to the Crescent Shopping Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

Thanks everyone for the replies! thats really good information to hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

There are a number of apts available in Riverpoint. Not a bad block. Good soundproofing between each apartment.

There are also some 1st time lets on Bedford Row... Good an central.

Nighttime noise is not an issue in Riverpoint as it is generally not a noisy area - and the view of the river is lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I'm living in City Central on Bedford Row.
    Great apartments.
    It's really handy to be so central, and everything is at your doorstep.
    They're soundproofed too, and I managed to get one of the few patioed apartments so I've got a nice bit of outside space too.

Definately recomend city living.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They look the business!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

I live in the City Central complex in Bedford Row too - brilliant apartments! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

How much are thos apartments on bedford row, curiosity is getting the better of me. Are they to buy or rent, or both ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

the one thing I will say to you is to get a nice visible lock for your steering wheel along there, if your car is a few years old. Pnce theres a visual deterrent like that they usually wont bother any more.

• Advertisement

zuroph wrote: »
    the one thing I will say to you is to get a nice visible lock for your steering wheel along there, if your car is a few years old. Pnce theres a visual deterrent like that they usually wont bother any more.

I'm afraid not, they're actually pretty easy to get off, what does act as a deterrent is a stout chain and a hefty lock, most gougers will just walk past a car if they see it.

How much are thos apartments on bedford row, curiosity is getting the better of me. Are they to buy or rent, or both ?

Between 650 and 1k /month I think, depending on number of rooms, view, etc. I pay 800/month for a 2 bedroom with great view and terrace. I think are for rent only, the agency renting them is Kersten Mehl in O'Connell Street - not sure if there are some still available though, but it could be.

I was living at the top of Cecil Street until a few months ago and got my car smashed several times (including a stolen radio) - scumbags! If I just park 50 meters down the road I have no problem though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rahzor

i'm doing a college project at the moment around the milk market area, housing accommodation for 500 students, and have noticed there is absolutely nothing to do in the city between 5 and 10pm.... the city closes down! do people just stay at home, or is there somewhere people like to go, apart from the obvious pub scene??

It's unfortunate alright, there's not a lot but drinking and eating to do in the city between these times, although if you venture further afield, there's cinema's and bowling, also mini golf on offer, and over the weekend there's shopping, If you like skateboarding/rollerblading/bmxing theres a skate park by the river, also if you're interested in keeping fit, there's many a nice area for running around the city. that's just some things i can think of right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Dont forget things like gyms and swimming !
    Or get involved in some sport!
    Plenty of astro turf soccer leagues on if you have a few mates to start a team!

rahzor wrote: »
    i'm doing a college project at the moment around the milk market area, housing accommodation for 500 students, and have noticed there is absolutely nothing to do in the city between 5 and 10pm.... the city closes down! do people just stay at home, or is there somewhere people like to go, apart from the obvious pub scene??

If you find out please let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rahzor

foinse wrote: »
    Flaming/trolling

in reply to rahzor:

It's unfortunate alright, there's not a lot but drinking and eating to do in the city between these times, although if you venture further afield, there's cinema's and bowling, also mini golf on offer, and over the weekend there's shopping, If you like skateboarding/rollerblading/bmxing theres a skate park by the river, also if you're interested in keeping fit, there's many a nice area for running around the city. that's just some things i can think of right now.

thanks for all the responses, if anything it has made clearer that in the actual city centre, there is a huge need for a multi-purpose/ activity centre, two cinema's in the whole city???? crazy! I have also since discovered there is no establishment one can play pool or snooker without it being a public house. no wonder the city is dying!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I have also since discovered there is no establishment one can play pool or snooker without it being a public house. no wonder the city is dying!

Is The Vic on Hartstonge Street gone and if so since when?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I think it's worth pointing out that the vast majority of students in Limerick do not live in the city centre. Most are living out by LIT or UL.

However, you're right, the city does close down after 5. It's a huge problem imo, coupled to the fact that alot of the popular pubs/restaurants are fairly spread apart. It's been obvious for years that we should be developing the Cornmarket area to compete with shop street in Galway. We should make it a hub of pubs and restaurants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

h3000 wrote: »
    Is The Vic on Hartstonge Street gone and if so since when?

eh,i think it got refurbished didnt it,,,was closed for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

jackncoke wrote: »
    eh,i think it got refurbished didnt it,,,was closed for a while
    Ya it's operating at the moment. Hard to miss it with the flashing blue lights outside it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 samhain's son

Wouldn't the old dunnes on sarsfield street be a good spot for a cinema?

And to get back to the original question when I was a student fadó fadó I lived on O'Connell Ave and I loved it. I didn't have a car though. I do remember other people giving out about finding parking near the house. I think if I had a car I would go for somewhere with designated parking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

My GF used to live in them appartments on mt kenneth. she regularly got bombarded by drug dealers and prostitutes as well as someone being pushed off the top of the building. She then lived in a small house by Limerick Senior college where it was even worse. eg.: a man interfering with himself outside the sitting room window. I went out and he ran off. That was the last straw.

I'm not a town person at all. Im not an appartment person at all either. wouldn't be able for it. I need space to walk around and have a garden. for 800 quid a month you could get a fine big house in the suburbs in a quiet area, Where there is a cinema and indoor football halls and swimming pools, gyms, Pottery & reading clubs (if thats what your into). probably more things to do than in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Wouldn't the old dunnes on sarsfield street be a good spot for a cinema?

And to get back to the original question when I was a student fadó fadó I lived on O'Connell Ave and I loved it. I didn't have a car though. I do remember other people giving out about finding parking near the house. I think if I had a car I would go for somewhere with designated parking.

Pending sale agreements there's a cinema being built on Bedford Row, where Cafe on the Row etc is now.

Cafe on the row is a class place. I hope they put a cinema somewhere else. the old dunnes would be the right job

cafe on the row used to be nice, now its a kip with terrible food. everything is so bland.

Maybe. havn't been there in ages. used to be lovely.

i dont know why i ever return, and order the bedford burger. It used to be a delicious thick juicy burger with hot melted cheese and bacon, and instead now its a dry ball of hard meat, hard to digest.
    My other favourite was the calzone, which eventually got more filled with onions, undercooked, and then disappeared totally.

• Advertisement

Lousy. I do remember the cajun chicken roll they used to do. it was massive and the last time I went there and ordered it, it was in one of those tiny useless rolls and it was pretty bad compared to the last time.

Advertisement