Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Lodging in Attic!

Options
  • 12-01-2009 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Just a warning.....
    I'm in a 2 bed townhouse and have a problem with the ventilation tubing that feeds from the fireplace up to the roof vent attic. The tubing forms a large u-bend in the attic. Turns out that its been filling up with water - half a bucket full! I've had to drain it on 2 occasions recently.
    Not sure whether its coming in from the roof vent but I suspect its condensation from use of the fire over xmas.
    I'd advise people to check it out. It could block ur gas fire ventilation which I suspect isn't good! Alternatively you could have a bucket load of water pour through your ceiling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Depending on what development you live in I would say that the use of that piping may differ.

I know that in the Wood, that piping is the sewer ventilation pipe and I have had some water leaking from the bend in the pipe on occasions when the weather outside has been very bad.

I would assume that your pipe has the same function as it would make no sense to have a air lock in a vent pipe unless there's something smelly at the other end? ;)

I also know that the gas fires in the wood are completely flueless so that may be the same for you? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Mullie wrote: »
    Just a warning.....
    I'm in a 2 bed townhouse and have a problem with the ventilation tubing that feeds from the fireplace up to the roof vent attic.

I am fairly confident that your gas fire is a 'flueless' gas fire...hence the requirement for two vents in your living room wall!

I agree with JanneG. If you only have one vent coming up in the attic, that's for the soil vent pipe (SVP). If you have three, then one each comes from the bathroom and Guest WC as well as the SVP. If your kitchen has an extract pipe from cooker hood then this joins up somewhere with the Guest WC extract AFAIK.

In Charlesland, if you can only see one vent pipe in your attic, the likeliness is that you are in Charlesland Wood and the vent for the Guest WC and bathroom are ducted in white PVC ductwork horizontally between the joists and out to the eaves ventilation soffit board.

If you can fix the flexible duct so it doesn't sag then the rainwater getting inside can meet up with the Sewerage! If it's not the SVP, then get the 'vent terminal' on the roof needs to be sorted. I do know in the Park, they changed the type of vent terminal being used and is more like a grill than a vent cover...and with the wind always coming from the west in Charlesland, if the west is on the west face of the roof then ity'll be more likely you'll get an ingress of rainwater.

Report back with your findings, I'm sure some people reading this may be experiencing the same problem without knowing.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Checked that out again last night, we have 4 ducts entering the attic (Charlesland Court) and the problem duct travels down a cavity that ends right behind the fireplace. You can see right the way down.
    A small amount of water has built up again since last week. I'm going to try check out the roof vent cover this weekend.
    Will let you know my findings if I don't fall off the roof!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

I had the same problem, we straightened the tube out so there was no bends in them and it was the one coming from the fireplace area. It had torn from where the water had gathered at the bend and was leaking onto attic, we just taped it . It was around the time of that really bad heavy rainfall. We thought it was just a build up condensation (not a professional opinion) must check it again :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 BouncyCastleMan

We had the same issue in the court with the same vent that seems to go back behind the fireplace. The builders were still on site when it happened to us and the plummer kept telling me it was the vent in behind the toilet in the upstairs bathroom. After several callbacks the Plummer finally repaced the tube with hard piping and it has helped but there is still water inside as it leaks from the join at the roof. I really don't know whats wrong with it but if anyone finds out I would be delighted as each month I have to go empty a large bowl.

• Advertisement
Advertisement