Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topping up closed central heating system

Options
  • 12-01-2009 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Ive a Closed Central heating system. Gas Combi type boiler with one of those big red pressure tanks. Anyway the pressure is down to nearly zero and I cannot for the life of me find the input valve/tap where I can connect a hose from the tap to top up the system.

Anybody got any ideas or is this a job for a plumber?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

actually, there is a header tank,and theres water in it, but it doesnt seem to refill the system. I'll check to make sure its not switched off at a valve somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Some systems have a non return valve from the tank to the boiler, supposedly to keep the system topped up. Worth lookig for that -- it will likely be in the attic soewhere, close to the tank. If it's stuck shut the system won't fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

a closed heating system have not a header tank
    There is a valve between your mains and your boiler to fill your pressured systeem
    Fill to 1.5 max 2.0 bar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

a closed heating system have not a header tank
    There is a valve between your mains and your boiler to fill your pressured systeem
    Fill to 1.5 max 2.0 bar

Thanks for the tip but I cant find the valve and I suspect that the system was installed by cowboys.

Advertisement