Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anton Ferdinand

• 12-01-2009 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

Is it true he can declare for ROI? :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Is it true he can declare for ROI? :D

Yep

Rio, Scholes, Fletcher, Rooney and Richardson all have Irish connections, read it in an article about the "Almost united Irish" or something along those lines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I want to say no to this suggestion but then I remember that Paul McShane and Alex Bruce are in the squad right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I think the real question is why would he want to do that ? It would be ludicrous. He is still young and good which means I doubt it. Most that declare are not considered good enough for England.

redout wrote: »
    I think the real question is why would he want to do that ? It would be ludicrous. He is still young and good which means I doubt it. Most that declare are not considered good enough for England.

Anton Ferdinand is not good enough for England and never will be.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Anton Ferdinand is not good enough for England and never will be.

In all fairness Xavi would you personally have said that Rio was at 23 ? I know he played before 23 but not at the level he is at the last couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I would love it if Ferdinand got called up for Ireland.

Love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I want to say no to this suggestion but then I remember that Paul McShane and Alex Bruce are in the squad right now.

that was my exact reaction!

In all fairness Xavi would you personally have said that Rio was at 23 ? I know he played before 23 but not at the level he is at the last couple of years.

At 23 Rio Ferdinand had played in champions League semi final for Leeds (who he captained in his final year), joined Manchester United, played in a World Cup, and commanded £48 million in transfer fees.

Anton plays for Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

At 23 Rio Ferdinand had played in champions League semi final for Leeds (who he captained in his final year), joined Manchester United, played in a World Cup, and commanded £48 million in transfer fees.

Hahaha Brilliant! :D:D:D

Also those of you having a go at McShane, he is still young enough to find an alternative career, professional rollerblader! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I would love to know where he would be if Rio hadn't been his older brother, he is a decent player but I wonder does that help him?

Saying that I'd have him starting for Ireland any day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

It would be a bit odd, wouldn't it, if Anton Ferdinand were to declare for Ireland, and yet his brother is playing for England. Excluding the former Soviet countries, there mustn't be any examples, if it were to happen, of members of the same family representing different countries. And yes, he certainly wouldn't hurt the squad at least.

Fair point but he was equally rubbish at United for about the first two years no ? That cannot be argued. I would not have put him in the Ireland team at that moment of his career.

Boggles wrote: »
    Also those of you having a go at McShane, he is still young enough to find an alternative career, professional rollerblader! :pac:

or stunt man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

wowy wrote: »
    Excluding the former Soviet countries, there mustn't be any examples, if it were to happen, of members of the same family representing different countries.

Steve Bruce and Alex Bruce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Frisbee wrote: »
    Steve Bruce and Alex Bruce.

Steve never played for England.

Excluding the former Soviet countries, there mustn't be any examples, if it were to happen, of members of the same family representing different countries.

He represented England with the u21's and the B's iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Frisbee wrote: »
    He represented England with the u21's and the B's iirc

If wikipedia recalls more like. But he never got a full cap.

JPA wrote: »
    If wikipedia recalls more like. But he never got a full cap.

Doesn't matter. He represented England.
    Nope not wiki, it's fairly well known that Bruce only ever made the England B's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Jack and Bobby Charlton.

• Advertisement

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

great point zigster.

The answer around here is a resounding "no" though.

Mercenaries are the soup du jour in Ireland, have been since the mid-80s.

Tony Cascarino being the prime example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

It would be a bit odd, wouldn't it, if Anton Ferdinand were to declare for Ireland, and yet his brother is playing for England. Excluding the former Soviet countries, there mustn't be any examples, if it were to happen, of members of the same family representing different countries. And yes, he certainly wouldn't hurt the squad at least.

Julian De Guzman plays for Canada while his brother Jonathan plays for Holland (both born in Canada).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Fair point but he was equally rubbish at United for about the first two years no ? That cannot be argued. I would not have put him in the Ireland team at that moment of his career.

What a ‘ridiculous’ quote!

Who was Irelands centre half besides Richard Dunne then? Gary Breen?

United wernt solid at the back when he arrived cause his partner was Lauren Blanc, just cause he got ripped to shreds by Ronaldo that time doesnt make him ****!

Rio was far from rubbish otherwise he would never have commanded a 30 million fee. Theres a big difference in being rubbish and not being the best around!!

ie

Mc Shane is rubbish John O Shea is not world class!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Boggles wrote: »

Is he not the lead singer of Queens of the Stone Age in his spare time ??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

How is he eligible? He has played for England at underage competitive football. He is over 21 and thus cannot now switch allegiances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Why would anyone want him playing for Ireland? Have we no national pride? Lets just try forge Messi or Ronaldo a passport and pretend they've no caps while we're at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

He's (unfortunately) good enough for us. But would you really want him playing? I'm always a bit suspicious of guys who have repped England at underage declaring for us simply because they're not good enough to make the grade for their (let's face facts here) country of choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

Pigman II wrote: »
    He's (unfortunately) good enough for us. But would you really want him playing? I'm always a bit suspicious of guys who have repped England at underage declaring for us simply because they're not good enough to make the grade for their (let's face facts here) country of choice.

You state above that he's good enough. But then question if you'd want him playing. Why not, if he's good enough?

And "suspicious"?? What are you suspicious about?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Pigman II wrote: »

Have to agree and that is the only reason they would declare,the whole grandparent rule is a bit of a joke imo, both parents Irish,fair enough I suppose, one parent Irish again maybe fair enough but someone with a grandparent and who has never been in the country then we might as well just let anyone play for whatever country they like, remember earlier in the seaon it was suggested that Almunia could declare for England, actually I would be more in favour of this rule. i.e at least Almunia is living in England and has done for a number of years rather than a grandparent and an individual who has never even been in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i also despise the guy. No Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Sure why not? Its not as if we're bursting at the seams with talent at centre-half in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Des wrote: »

Mercenaries are the soup du jour in Ireland, have been since the mid-80s.

Germany? Italy?

Thats two more off the top of my head that have players who's first countries would be the ones they play for.

This is not an exclusivly Irish issue.

TonyD79 wrote: »
    What a ‘ridiculous’ quote!

Who was Irelands centre half besides Richard Dunne then? Gary Breen?

United wernt solid at the back when he arrived cause his partner was Lauren Blanc, just cause he got ripped to shreds by Ronaldo that time doesnt make him ****!

Rio was far from rubbish otherwise he would never have commanded a 30 million fee. Theres a big difference in being rubbish and not being the best around!!

ie

Mc Shane is rubbish John O Shea is not world class!!

£48 Million transfer fees, world cup. Hmm, Robbie Keane ? Great but for all his worth he was not good for United and took a few years to produce performances worthy of his £30 Million fee. Blaming Blanc is pathetic. At 23 the guy was not quality is all I am saying and he did not justify the fee until many seasons later. He has only been world class the past three years or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

£48 Million transfer fees, world cup. Hmm, Robbie Keane ? Great but for all his worth he was not good for United and took a few years to produce performances worthy of his £30 Million fee. Blaming Blanc is pathetic. At 23 the guy was not quality is all I am saying and he did not justify the fee until many seasons later. He has only been world class the past three years or so.

bollix to that. I used to think that was the case, until he had his prolonged absence, and then it just became obvious home much he was missed. his problem in the early years is pretty similar to Gallas' and Toure's current predicament at Arsenal, they don't have a partner who compliments their style of play. this is more important for a CB than any other position as they rely on each other so much for covering etc. he may not have been world class back then, but he was definitly a quality player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Stekelly wrote: »
    Germany? .
    Seeing as you mentioned it...
    Germany have a habit of getting people not born in Germany or "mercenaries" as Des puts it, to play for them- Kevin Kuranyi, Lukas Podolski, Piotr Trochowski and Miroslav Klose being prime examples.
    The difference between German mercenaries and Irish mercenaries is that the German ones are better, and are all playing week-in week-out for their respective clubs in the top tier of a major league.
    Bring on the days when Ireland can claim the youth from Warsaw, and not have to rely on Englands B Team, I say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement