Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB in Ranelagh??

Options
  • 12-01-2009 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi

I am currently using a 3 'dongle' for bb on my laptop, NTL say they cannot give me broadband where I am.

Was wondering if someone could tell me what it the best option for decent wireless broadband?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Funnily enough I found IBB Ripwave to be brilliant in Ranelagh but it would depend where exactly in Ranelagh and whether you're on the ground floor or first floor...

Switching to Breeze now as I've moved apt and the signal for Ripwave isn't as good but I'm not gonna let them install it unless there is a decent signal which they need to test on site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dangerousdavid

Jev/N wrote: »
    Funnily enough I found IBB Ripwave to be brilliant in Ranelagh but it would depend where exactly in Ranelagh and whether you're on the ground floor or first floor...

Switching to Breeze now as I've moved apt and the signal for Ripwave isn't as good but I'm not gonna let them install it unless there is a decent signal which they need to test on site

Thanks alot.

I'm on the main road in Ranelagh, down near McSorleys and on the 1st floor. Dumb question but do you mean the signal will be better or worse the higher up you are?

How would Ripwave compare to me just getting a phone line and 3mb BT broadband?

I actually lived there in roughly the same area and it was good reception; the higher you are the better it is... having said that, you wouldn't know for definite until you get the Ripwave box which is a gamble

The BT line would probably be much better as it would probably have a lower contention ratio (ripwave has 40:1) - i.e. how many people can be on the same connection to the ISP. I only chose ripwave as I couldn't get breeze where I was for some reason and I didn't want to fork out for line rental that I wasn't going to use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gmac2005

Hi Guys

I came across NTL engineer in street today and asked him about broadband in the area he said that they are starting to upgrade in the area in 2-3 months..

I actually ordered BT the other day, went for the 3mb (will probably upgrade to 7.6mb) and 'talk plus' as it gives me unlimited from landline calls to the UK (i'm Scottish).

Will report back on performance of the bb when it is installed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Lived on first floor very near to the hardware store recently. Clearwire was rubbish so we got BT which was fine. Note our line had to be enabled at Rathmines exchange.

While were waiting, I used the BB from the phonebox over the road which was quite good but expensive - 30e/week, it's some corporate business service thing mainly for hotels. You find it in your available wireless networks, connect and it pops up in your browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Build yourself a Pringles Can Kagi and get a LOS to one of the many pubs/coffee shops with WiFi in Ranelagh :)

tricky D wrote: »
    Lived on first floor very near to the hardware store recently. Clearwire was rubbish so we got BT which was fine. Note our line had to be enabled at Rathmines exchange.

While were waiting, I used the BB from the phonebox over the road which was quite good but expensive - 30e/week, it's some corporate business service thing mainly for hotels. You find it in your available wireless networks, connect and it pops up in your browser.
    Strangely enough I live on the 1st floor about 50 yards from the hardware shop!

I used the eircom thing once for 24 hours but it wasn't great, and very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Strangely enough I live on the 1st floor about 50 yards from the hardware shop!

I used the eircom thing once for 24 hours but it wasn't great, and very expensive.

Yup sure is expensive. As for quality, perhaps the fact that I was usually using between 10pm and 8am could have been a factor.

There was one occasion when it wasn't working and the support was rubbish, considering the price. The same corporate product in hotels is supported, but not phone boxes - well that's eircom for you!

Actually was on the phone to NTL recently to check again as we can't get IBB Breeze or Digiweb Metro exactly where I'm living and they said they would have the lines upgraded by March I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

They took their bloody time to come to Dublin 6. Most of Ranelagh, Rathmines and Rathgar have wet string for an NTL network.

Advertisement