Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm DIY advice please

• 04-03-2009 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi, I've recently replaced two windows which had alarm sensors on them. The sensors got removed with the windows. Stupid I know. I did unscrew all the wires however. They in a single big living/dining room and they consist of a square bay window and a regular window with a side opening.

1) Is it feasible that I can buy and fit new sensors myself or am I better off getting an alarm company in to do it? I bought the house already the the alarm installed. The room already has a motion detector and since the windows are large and to the front I doubt anyone would break in through them. Will I bother replacing them at all?

2) One of the new windows (the square bay) doesn't have the same size frame where the sensors where attached. To be more exact; the middle upper frame is really really close to the ceiling. I'll have to move the sensor to the corner or attach it on the ceiling. I don't know how they work so which placement would be better? Or will I just not bother?

3) At the same time the I want to bury the wires to the sensors. They go from the ceiling to the sensors. This is needed in more windows other then the two missing sensors. Will this damage/unsettle the existing sensors?

4) Someone told me that in Lidl they are selling a special tool to cut trenches into walls which would allow me to bury the wires in. From their website I see no such tool. What is this called and do I need one?

The house is due to be painted in a few weeks so I have this opportunity to mess with the walls now.

If you think an alarm company is needed then please feel free to recommend one as I get the feeling that their are plenty of cowboys in that business.

Thanks.
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement