Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greencone usage in the winter

Options
  • 12-01-2009 12:03pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I bought and installed a Greencone during the summer and all has been pretty ok ish, I had some issues in the beginning which required it to be dug up again and reburied and rats recently tried to gain access to it but failed due to chicken wire :)

However I'm getting worried about the amount of material in it, during the summer it was fine due to large amount of flys but the recent cold snaps appeared to have killed pretty much all the flys and the material is not reducing that much anymore.

I make sure to put plenty of powder in it and I never overfill it based on the recommendations for using the caddy in winter periods when compared to summer. However shorter days means less sun on the cone.

I was thinking of buying tiger worms from the likes of ecoshop.ie as I've read there ideal for composed heaps and will eat like mad, anyone have any experiences doing this?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Cabaal, I keep a worm farm - the sort of worms that work for composting are leaf litter types. The problem with having them in a compost heap is that, assuming the compost heap is working appropriately, the heat inside it will kill them. It could be that it'll just reduce a little more slowly in winter and heat up again in the summer time. Have you got a happy balance otherwise - not too wet, not too dry, not too cold, the right balance of nitrogen and carbon and so on?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Doesn't seem too wet etc, I'd say its pretty cold though due to the recent weather but not sure what I can do about that, as its a greencone it has veg, meet, fish etc all general kitchen food waste

Another thing worth mentioning is the green cone is affectively a buried washing basket so if I did place worms into it they'd be able to get in and out very easily so maybe that would stop them all dieing?

Advertisement