Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driver's Door Window off the runner

Options
  • 12-01-2009 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Okay- bit of a problem here- my driver's door window (98 Micra GX) I think is of its runner. Can I fix this myself?
    They aren't electric windows and the window is staying up when I have the roller rolled all the way up but if I roll it down a little the window slips down a little.
    It just slipped off the runner the other day when I rolled it down- (it kind of clicked & wouldn't move)- I rolled it all the way down & then all the way back up & it then stayed up but its definately not on the runner properly.
    Is this an easy thing for me to fix myself or should I bring it to a mechanic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Theoretically it's easy ...just take off the doorcard and seat the window properly.

In practice it depends on how difficult and fiddly the doorcard is to get off, what tools you have and haven't got and how good you are with your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭orlaithd

peasant wrote: »
    Theoretically it's easy ...just take off the doorcard and seat the window properly.

In practice it depends on how difficult and fiddly the doorcard is to get off, what tools you have and haven't got and how good you are with your hands.

I am a girl with no tools- hmmm this may be an issue! :rolleyes:
    Have you ever done it on a micra door? is it fiddly?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Sorry, never worked on a Micra.

The tricky thing (with all doorcards really) is to find all the screws and fastners that are usually hidden by trim.

On the other hand ...an experienced mechanic should have this sorted in well under an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

orlaithd wrote: »
    I am a girl with no tools- hmmm this may be an issue! :rolleyes:
    Have you ever done it on a micra door? is it fiddly?

What has probably happened is that the bottom of the glass window has come away from the clamps in the window regulator that holds the glass tight. This could happen if the window glass gets stuck for a second while the window is being rolled down. You'll have to take off the door panel and loosen the two clamps on the window regulator and see if the wondow can be reset back into the clamps and the clamps tightened up again. Sometimes this will work, other times your looking at a new window regulator...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

You will need;

Flat head screwdriver
    Philips head screwdriver
    Strong bit of cloth
    10mm socket extension bar & ratchet
    Stanely blade

depending on the year of the (i assume pre '99) there is a plastic grab handle on the door card, take the flat head screwdriver and prize between the plastic that holds on the top of the handle.

Then you should have 2 10mm bolts looking at you undo them

Then where the window winder is force the cloth in between the back of the handle and doorcard and move it around until the winder comes off (what your doing is getting horse-shoe clip off)

Then the inner door handle there is a plastic surround pop it off with the flat head.

Then run the flat head around the door card prizing it away from the door, untill it come off.

When ya have the door card off you'll see a plastic cover which is glued to the door, carefull taking it off as the glue will destroy your clothes.

Then you'll see at the bottom of the window a bar with 2 10mm bolts inscrew them while holding the window up when it comes loose simply lift the window out and place back in the right runner, and do the opposite of the steps to build the door back up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

^
    |
    |
    That sounds pretty comprehensive to me.

The big problem with stripping out doors, especially ones you're not familiar with, is doing it without damaging visible trim or breaking the many and varied fixings that can be used.
    A main dealer should have the tools, parts and knowledge to do this sort of thing pretty quickly, but an independent mechanic or conscientious amateur will use a fair bit of time figuring out how the thing is assembled and taking it apart without breaking or scarring stuff.
    The actual repair itself is often a piece of cake compared to the grief of getting at it.

Advertisement