Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some Advice for beginner

• 12-01-2009 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

I've always wanted to get a DSLR camera so i've decided to start with something basic as i'm a total beginner

can you guys have a look at these 2 cameras and let me know which would be a better camera for a beginner,

Thank you for your time

Nikon D60 SLR Camera Kit 18-55mm
    Sony DSLRA-A200 Camera

or do you think i should go for something different ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Very difficult to seperate ALL the entry level D_SLR's. It might just come down to what you think looks best, in terms of handling and ergonomics. (What does egonomics mean? ah well it sound riiight) Alot of advice might sway you in terms of Nikon or Canon, but you also have Pentax, Olympus, Panasonic etc to choose from. Don't be fooled by the 'buying' into a brand crap, you can always sell your kit later and swap/change to a pro camera set-up !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

I would consider most cameras at the various levels pretty much on par with each other. Go into the shops around town and get your hands around them and see which you like best - feel, look etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

If you're thinking of picking other lenses and accessories up second hand after you've bought a camera I'd think about going for either Nikon or Canon. They have bigger second hand markets than for other brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

On the contary there was over 16 million minolta/sony lenes made in total and I've never had any problems finding second hand stuff. For example the minolta 50mm f1.7 frequently be found on flea bay for sub 80 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Basically as Morrisseeee said you should really try out both bodies in a camera store and see which you like the feel of. I'm sure you have checked online reviews etc for both but there is no point buying something thats not comfortable to use.

The other consideration is as Nisio says the accessories and additional lens available for the choices you are looking at. You will find that the body is important but the lens you use are equally or even more important. You need to be wary of purchasing something that limits the amount of choice you have later on.

• Advertisement

landyman wrote: »
    On the contary there was over 16 million minolta/sony lenes made in total and I've never had any problems finding second hand stuff. For example the minolta 50mm f1.7 frequently be found on flea bay for sub 80 euro

This is hardly scientific but from the Photography section of adverts.ie :

Canon 9 pages of listings
    Nikon 6 pages
    Sony 2 pages
    Pentax nearly one page
    Minolta Nearly one page

On Photography Ireland's buy & sell the majority of stuff is Canon from what I've seen.

On Ebay searching in the camera section:

78,847 results found for canon
    43,585 results found for nikon
    7,421 results found for minolta

I wonder how strong the correllation between number of lenses manufactured and second hand market is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

Nisio wrote: »

Nikon 6 pages
    Sony 2 pages
    Pentax nearly one page
    Minolta Nearly one page

On Photography Ireland's buy & sell the majority of stuff is Canon from what I've seen.

I wonder how strong the correllation between number of lenses manufactured and second hand market is?

Why are they all selling them?

The argument about upgrading is always brought up here when somebody asks for advice about buying anything other than Canon/Nikon, and while its fair enough in as far as it goes the reality is that all the brands have a good range of lenses to cover the needs of the average user, and some of them have "kit" lenses which are of a higher standard than others.

I've said it here before all the consumer/prosumer level DSLR cameras are pretty well matched in the round, each has strenghts and weaknesses and as long as you are prepared to buy online/ebay you will have no great problem getting lenses to suit any make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

thanks guys. Alot of great info there,

I've got a max of €450 to spend. Would i be better getting a second hand camera thats a little better then the ones i've posted ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

just seen this ...
    ...agh noooooo !
    /only kidding

On a serious note: see reviews at www.dpreview.com for the different cameras that you are interested in

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    Why are they all selling them?

I'm not a bit interested in brand bashing (I tried out a lot of different cameras in B&H before buying) and I agree that all the brands have good cameras with suitable lenses; but I still stand by the statement that it's easier to pick up Canon and Nikon stuff second hand. That's not saying that it's hard to find other brands stuff; just easier with those two.

That there are more people using Canon and Nikon digital cameras doesn't mean they're any better than other brands but it probably does mean that there are more people selling more stuff.

Nisio wrote: »

Nikon 6 pages
    Sony 2 pages
    Pentax nearly one page
    Minolta Nearly one page

Just saying that minolta lenes are widly availible, any time Ive looked for one iv always found the one I need. Perhaps with canon you could have more but I've never found the supposedly (and inaccurate, thers plenty to choose from) lack of minolta lenses, a limiting factor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

The best advice I can give it to try out the cameras if possible.. Maybe you know people with them who will let you have a go. This is the only way really to decide...
    Personally I shoot Canon and have been very happy with it so far.. Plus I find with Canon or Nikon theres a wide range of gear for sale second hand and in stores..

shepthedog wrote: »
    The best advice I can give it to try out the cameras if possible.. Maybe you know people with them who will let you have a go. This is the only way really to decide...
    Personally I shoot Canon and have been very happy with it so far.. Plus I find with Canon or Nikon theres a wide range of gear for sale second hand and in stores..

+1 for sony or nikon..... Canons are overpriced i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Nikon 6 pages
    Sony 2 pages
    Pentax nearly one page
    Minolta Nearly one page

Minolta owners more happy with their cameras? :D

As the others said.. do hold the cameras in your hand.. they all handle differently. I nearly bought the Sony A300 as I have minolta lenses. But I wasn't to happy with the way the eye viewer is set in relation to the adjustable screen..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

I got the A200 for christmas and like yourself I'm a total beginner. I find it a great camera but as was already said have a look around and get one that feels right when you hold it.

I got the A200 for christmas and like yourself I'm a total beginner. I find it a great camera but as was already said have a look around and get one that feels right when you hold it.

It will serve you well. Welcome to the world of alpha. :)

Though bak on topic, the d60 is a good little camera but that was its problem for me - it felt too small in my hands..... Did like the lcd when shooting and the viewfinder but it was the lack of inbuilt af in the nikon and built in image stabilisiation on the sony which pulled me towards the sony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

NeVeR wrote: »
    thanks guys. Alot of great info there,

I've got a max of €450 to spend. Would i be better getting a second hand camera thats a little better then the ones i've posted ?

My one piece of advise would be that if buying second hand, make sure you can check it over yourself first (i.e. no ebay imports etc). If buying new, your money will go a lot further in the North. My canon 1000d worked out to be €322 in Jessops. Cheapest i see in irish shop was €495 stretching to €650:eek:
    Canons cashback off ends today 12-01-08 (i think)

My one piece of advise would be that if buying second hand, make sure you can check it over yourself first (i.e. no ebay imports etc). If buying new, your money will go a lot further in the North. My canon 1000d worked out to be €322 in Jessops. Cheapest i see in irish shop was €495 stretching to €650:eek:
    Canons cashback off ends today 12-01-08 (i think)

Lots of shops in dublin do second hand, conns, birminghams, or camera exchange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

Love it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement