Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Very annoyed with SIMI dealer!!!

Options
  • 12-01-2009 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all

Can anyone give me some advice on this?

Last week friday I agreed with a (SIMI dealer) I thought was very reputable to buy an Audi A3 Sportback 2005 from him. We agreed price, made a appointment for my mechanic to look it over, and he was going to discuss the finance with the AIB. At no stage did he ask for a deposit but I presumed that as he was going to sort the finance this was not needed.

Anyway saturday he sold the car to someone else and left a message on my phone to that effect.

Needless to say I am pi***ed off about this, is there anything I can do? He told me this morning that as no deposit was paid that there was no guarantee I was going to take the car. However he never asked for one!

Any advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

seborah wrote: »

Needless to say I am pi***ed off about this, is there anything I can do? He told me this morning that as no deposit was paid that there was no guarantee I was going to take the car. However he never asked for one!

Any advice welcome

to be honest, no deposit no come back.

In the current climate, cash is king. Dealers are under massive pressure and when someone comes in with cash ready to take the car home they will let it go rather can wait for someone to come back in a few days with a promise of taking it. You should have put a few hundred euro down to secure the car regardless if he asked for it or not.

At least he had the manners to call you to tell you, I know quite a few who wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tough luck. Unless papers are signed or money switches hands it's still his car.
    m2c

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Hi all

Last week friday I agreed with Ryan O'Gorman dealer (SIMI dealer) I thought was very reputable to buy an Audi A3 Sportback 2005 from him. We agreed price, made a appointment for my mechanic to look it over, and he was going to discuss the finance with the AIB. At no stage did he ask for a deposit but I presumed that as he was going to sort the finance this was not needed.

Anyway saturday he sold the car to someone else and left a message on my phone to that effect.

Any advice welcome

I am sorry for you but... did you propose to put down a deposit yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Tough sh*te.. If you were selling a car, and you had someone interested who said they would be back to buy it a few days later you'd be happy. But, in the meantime, if someone came to you, offered cash straight up to drive away that day, who would you sell the car to? I know who i'd sell it to..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Hi all

Last week friday I agreed with Ryan O'Gorman dealer (SIMI dealer) I thought was very reputable to buy an Audi A3 Sportback 2005 from him. We agreed price, made a appointment for my mechanic to look it over, and he was going to discuss the finance with the AIB. At no stage did he ask for a deposit but I presumed that as he was going to sort the finance this was not needed.

Any advice welcome

You couldn't really blame him in the current climate. One in the bag is worth two in the bush at the moment. Also I think it's unfair slating him on here over this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

inforfun wrote: »
    I am sorry for you but... did you propose to put down a deposit yourself?

the dealer can;t be expected to hold a car for anyone, he gets loads of people a day promising that they'll be back to buy.

1st to put money down gets it. If you were serious about buying the car you should have made sure it was taken off the market by way of deposit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Hi all

Any advice welcome
    I can give you some advice as requested... Cop on to life.... are you for real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Like the rest said, dealers are dying a slow death and need cash so so bad. Yeap you've had the rug pulled from under neath you but that said the dealer was within legal right to do same.

Under normal times he might have rang you and said I have a guy here with cash, but those days of nice days are gone.

Theres loads of bargains around and you have learnt your lesson....

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Just out of interest what is the comeback if a deposit is paid and they sell the car anyway? Besides getting your deposit back that is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 seborah

Fair enough I should have offered a deposit, this is the first car I'm buying and I didnt realise that the deposit was totally needed. I thought (stupidly) that the verbal agreement that I told him I was taking the car was enough, and the fact that he was sorting the finance and we had numerous conversations agreeing on such things made me think this even more.
    I'm naive and too trusting I guess..

• Advertisement

Why would they sell it again, if they have already gone thru the process of selling it in the first place, especially with a deposit on it?! It'd be plain madness to do that... But i dunno what other comeback there would be, not much i'd guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

regardless of the situation, there are two sides to every story and dragging the dealers name thru the muck on here is not necessary.

there was no need to name the garage, no need at all. i think the moderators should remove the garage name from this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Fair enough I should have offered a deposit, this is the first car I'm buying and I didnt realise that the deposit was totally needed. I thought (stupidly) that the verbal agreement that I told him I was taking the car was enough, and the fact that he was sorting the finance and we had numerous conversations agreeing on such things made me think this even more.

You're not naive or in the wrong here OP. A year or so ago, you'd be grand, the situation right now is that dealers are under severe pressure to get a sale, if they didn't deal with the other buyer and your finance didn't go through, then they have a problem and that car could be there for months. Dealers have a huge amount of working capital tied up in current assets/stock now that they cannot convert to cash and this is threatening every outlet in Ireland at the moment. Cash is king right now, it's just a sign of the times we're in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Well answer this question honestly, if you'd found the same car cheaper elsewhere would you have felt bound to still buy from this dealer? The answer is of course not. Verbal agreements are non-binding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'd lock this thread if I was an admin... you can't put someone's name out there and complain when they haven't actually done anything wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

steve06 wrote: »
    I'd lock this thread if I was an admin... you can't put someone's name out there and complain when they haven't actually done anything wrong!

Sure you can. The guy is a car dealer, how this any different to someone moaning about komplett.ie or whoever. You can't make up stuff but sure you can complain about what your perceive as poor service.

I removed the dealers name, I do agree that I probably shouldnt have named him..

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

Tough sh*te really...
    The amount of times that (and every dealer) has heard the words "ill be back", "i have to ask my wife/husband", "i have one more to look at" etc etc is unreal. He was right to take the cash off somebody else especially in the current climate.

Its unfortunate for you but you have to act fast if you want the car.

Also you didnt lose a deposit so you've nothing to moan about really

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Op, what would have happened if the bank had refused your credit and the dealer had held the car for you? Would you have compensated him for the sale loss?

Actually I had already agreed the credit with the AIB and it was fully approved and he knew this, he told me he thought he could get me a better rate so I was letting him handle it. So he knew I had the money and I was going to buy...

• Advertisement

Boston wrote: »
    Sure you can. The guy is a car dealer, how this any different to someone moaning about komplett.ie or whoever. You can't make up stuff but sure you can complain about what your perceive as poor service.

I wouldnt really call it poor service - they guy obviously done something right if the OP was interested in buying the car. I think most people would do the same if in his shoes.

If you were selling something on adverts.ie or wherever, and you had someone interested in buying it, but in the time it takes for that person to make up his mind fully and fork up, someone else comes in and offers to buy it there and then, would you hold on for the other person who might come back? Honestly now....

There was no might come back about it, the dealer and I both knew that I wanted the car, he had already made the appointment with my mechanic (we agreed the car was perfect it was just for peace of mind.),we had discussed the finance, we did have a verbal agreement. He knew I genuinely wanted the car, he just took the opportunity to sell the car earlier.

Bear in mind, there could have been someone else looking at that car before you, it just happened that they might have had a preference over you as they were there first?

Maybe he showed you the car to cover his ass in case the other customer wasnt interested, or didnt pass for finance etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Actually I had already agreed the credit with the AIB and it was fully approved and he knew this, he told me he thought he could get me a better rate so I was letting him handle it.

Why would he care what rate you got your finance at? He wanted to arrange the finance so that he could get commission on it.

Well I just talked about it with my mechanic and he reckoned although he was in his rights to do it that it was very unprofessional and unethical to do so. This dealer bases themselves on their reputation...

He did also suggest that maybe the dealer was worried that the car wouldnt pass the mechanic inspection and thats why he is saying its sold..its an 05 audi in good condition so I would be surprised but maybe..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭tismenotyou

There was no might come back about it, the dealer and I both knew that I wanted the car, he had already made the appointment with my mechanic (we agreed the car was perfect it was just for peace of mind.),we had discussed the finance, we did have a verbal agreement. He knew I genuinely wanted the car, he just took the opportunity to sell the car earlier.

sorry but your mech agreed the car was perfect !!

Well I just talked about it with my mechanic and he reckoned although he was in his rights to do it that it was very unprofessional and unethical to do so. This dealer bases themselves on their reputation...

He did also suggest that maybe the dealer was worried that the car wouldnt pass the mechanic inspection and thats why he is saying its sold..its an 05 audi in good condition so I would be surprised but maybe..

or he didnt inspect the car yet ??

deposit secures !! unfair at times but thats how it works !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

That's a pain in the Ass, you have agreed to take the car, he allows your mechanic to check it over and sells it before your mechinac turns up. While I agree a deposit secures, the dealer was aware that you were taking the car subject to mechanics check, maybe there was something wrong with the car and he knew the mechanic would notice it. I have bought many a car without giving a deposit, infact I have offered deposits and the dealer took my word that I would take the car.

But then again, my wifes current car had 3 other people with forms for loan approval on the sales rep on his desk but no deposits. Guess who got the car via a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Take it for luck.:)

Could've ended up being a total scutter box :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Deleting his name was very wise, deleting the thread maybe even wiser as his name was originally posted. Just be careful what you post, burned once is bad, burned twice no thanks.

Best of luck with your next purchase. The poor dealer wont know what hit him as youu shove the deposit down his neck and ask for the receipt signed in blood!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's not dodgy, unethical or even sharp practice tbh.

There was no binding agreement. Perhaps another salesman in the dealership sold it?

Next time leave a deposit.

Advertisement