Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Travel Mug

Options
  • 12-01-2009 12:53pm

Can anyone recommend a half decent one?

The one I have is getting on a bit. I got it in woodies about six years ago now ; the plastic inside is getting quite worn which makes it prone to picking up heavy tea staining.

Its got to the stage where the dishwasher doesn't remove the brown stain anymore.

I'd like to avoid one that has a plastic inside, preferably has a screw top and has an opening that is resistant to leaking when knocked over.

Can anyone recommend a good one and a good shop or online store to buy one from?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

My advice is to get one with a stainless steel interior and exterior.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

My advice is to get one with a stainless steel interior and exterior.

Couldn't agree more. Starbucks have a few good ones if you can find them. I think it was actually Gran Hermano that put me on to them last year. They'll keep the brew hot for hours if needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Stainless steel ones are the best .Keeps your tea /coffee hot for longer to.

Interesting. On my web travels I found these Anyone know who stocks them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Couldn't agree more. Starbucks have a few good ones if you can find them. I think it was actually Gran Hermano that put me on to them last year. They'll keep the brew hot for hours if needs be.

+1 on the Starbucks stainless steel mugs. I have a few of them and they are the best for keeping drinks hot :)

Its hard enough to get them though, they only seem to get them in about twice a year so I check regularly.

Eventually they do stain though, and they can't be put in the dishwasher.

This thread might be of interest to you also:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055280645

:)

• Advertisement

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/mug,-sunflowers-insulated/F/product/41486

If anyone fancies a stainless steel interior/porcelain exterior
    and a Van Gogh painting. :D

I'll have to visit Starbucks soon to see if they have anymore of the
    stainless steel in stock - reckon I'm due a new one at this stage.
    (If I disappear suddenly from Boards you'll know I was abducted by the *$ mob).

Amazon UK stock the Thermos brand but will not ship here. Home Store & More, Arnotts or House of Fraser might be worth checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭EH

I use one of these Bodum travel mug with press. I've been using it for 4 years and am very happy with it. I brought it in Gloria Jeans in the Powerscourt Centre but there now closed so you may have to buy it on-line.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/mug,-sunflowers-insulated/F/product/41486

If anyone fancies a stainless steel interior/porcelain exterior
    and a Van Gogh painting. :D

Oh dear, I actually quite fancy that :o

IsThatSo? wrote: »
    Oh dear, I actually quite fancy that :o

You have to contact them if you want to use a non UK credit card.

I've used Lakelands several times over the past couple of years with an
    Irish Visa card. (I always buy my storage jars there!).

Have they changed policy re: shipping to Ireland? In the past I found their
    shipping charges cheap €5 ish and delivery in less than a week.

• Advertisement

It says on the site now that delivery to Ireland is £10 for orders up to catalogue value of £20.00. Am hoping that this means I can get two of the mugs for postage of £10.00 i.e. they calculate the postage on the reduced price rather than the original catalogue price. The original price was £25 odd so getting two for £50 would work out at £16.00 postage.

Re UK CC:
    We only currently accept online payment from cards issued by UK banks. Please contact us if you'd like to place an order but have a card issued by a non-UK bank.

Waiting to hear from them, although I suspect there will be no problem. Maybe they just want it cleared with them first :)

They will take Irish credit cards, just not online, I have to phone them :)

I still fancy the mugs, I just don't know why as they are quite ugly really...............just one of those things:o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Some great gear on that site. Thanks for that, can't believe I've never heard of them before now!

Some great gear on that site. Thanks for that, can't believe I've never heard of them before now!

The jars are great for airtight storage:
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/preserving-jars/F/keyword/jar/product/3813_3814

and I think I'll be picking up one of these:
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/bodum!REG-individual-coffee-press/F/keyword/coffee/product/12302

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I was about to start a thread on this, see others got here ahead of me! That Bodum travel press looks the business :D I currently have a Starbucks travel mug but not one of the stainless steel ones, and it doesn't seem to keep the coffee hot for very long anymore. I just want something small and neat that I can stick in my bag, but on my travels around Dublin city centre it seems difficult to find.

Edited to add: googling around there, I found that the Foodgame shop in Stillorgan Shopping Centre appear to have some Bodum travel mugs (dunno if they have the travel press though). Might go investigate tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I use a lifeventure thermal mug
    http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Lifeventure-Thermal-Mug.html

keeps it hot for about 4 hours i find.

Eclectichoney

What is the drinking opening like on those? I can't see any pics available.

Also, can you remember off the top of your head what the postage to Ireland is? No worries if you don't, I will dig around a bit. I am just being lazy as I see you are still online :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

missmatty wrote: »
    Edited to add: googling around there, I found that the Foodgame shop in Stillorgan Shopping Centre appear to have some Bodum travel mugs (dunno if they have the travel press though). Might go investigate tomorrow!

Further update if anyone is bothered. Foodgame is not trading anymore but Stock in town have Bodum travel mugs. Although they are out of the small ones at the mo, boo :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

IsThatSo? wrote: »
    Eclectichoney

What is the drinking opening like on those? I can't see any pics available.

Also, can you remember off the top of your head what the postage to Ireland is? No worries if you don't, I will dig around a bit. I am just being lazy as I see you are still online :D

Ah sorry, I only saw this now! It's just a round / mug like opening no spout thing if that makes sense. I actually ordered it from ebay.co.uk - I think it worked at around ten euro at the time iirc. Lots of places sell them online (try rawoutdoors.co.uk - free shipping I think!)

Sorry again for the delay :o

Advertisement