Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying off a credit card?

Options
  • 12-01-2009 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I have a credit card which i hate. I just want to get rid off it. I hardly use it anymore and it seems as if im just not clearing it. I pay off as much as i can but some months i can only manage the minimum.

What's the best way to pay it off? Would they let me cancel it and pay it off weekly/monthly? Or should i get a loan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Get a loan. The interest rates will be lower if you do your homework and you can set your monthly repayments and take it out direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Try and transfer the balance to another card that offers 0% interest for the first 9 months or 6 months - and try to pay it off before the interest kicks in again.
    First Active and Ulster Bank offer 9 months interest free credit on balance transfers.

Halifax Tesco and Bank of Ireland offer 6 months interest free credit on balance transfers.
    NIB Visa card has 5 months at zero interest on balance transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

yup transfer to 0% and get as much off it as you can in the 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I would say get a loan. Most people who do a 0% balance transfer end up spending on the card, it's a vicious cycle.

eth0_ wrote: »
    I would say get a loan. Most people who do a 0% balance transfer end up spending on the card, it's a vicious cycle.

cut it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

ntlbell wrote: »
    cut it up

You can still use the card online even if you cut it up, and especially if your online banking allows you to transfer cash from the card into your current account.

I'd only advise the OP to get a 0% card if he/she is very very sure they won't just run up further debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Sell your car, pay off your loan and cut up your card. Use cash from here on in. It might sound drastic, but it works. Only buy what you can afford in cash.;)

eth0_ wrote: »
    You can still use the card online even if you cut it up, and especially if your online banking allows you to transfer cash from the card into your current account.

I'd only advise the OP to get a 0% card if he/she is very very sure they won't just run up further debt.

aye very true.

Advertisement