Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastering over lead paint

Options
  • 12-01-2009 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

N00b question:
    I'd like to get a new skim put on the internal walls in my house but they all have a lead paint covering (it was built in the 1930's). Is it possible to just plaster over the paintwork or do I have to remove the paint?

I'm reluctant to start removing the lead paint, hence the question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 trevdahead

hey there,
    there are 2 possible ways to do this.you could either polybond,bond and skim the walls,the polybond would need to be put on fairly neat,3;1,then you need to bond the walls and give it a very light key,u may need to polybond again to control the drying for the skim coat.
    another way is to simply re-slab the walls and skim or dryline over the new boards.but this will involve removing skirting and moving out sockets.

hope this is of help
    regards
    trev

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

trevdahead wrote: »
    ...another way is to simply re-slab the walls and skim or dryline over the new boards.but this will involve removing skirting and moving out sockets.

hope this is of help
    regards
    trev
    Cheers! How thick are these slabs, 5-10 mm? I think bonding and skimming might be best alright. Will the bond coat the paint okay, as in...will it 'bond' to the paint?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 trevdahead

the polybond will act as an adhesion coat for the bonding.ive seen people plaster straight onto the polybond,without using the bonding,but this could cause problems later,such as cracking.

the slabs come in varied size,8-10 mm would be perfect for what u want

Advertisement