Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substitute for buttermilk

• 12-01-2009 1:41pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm finding it impossible to get buttermilk over here, so does anyone know how you make your own? Or is there an appropriate substitute for it?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

You can add white vinegar or lemon juice to milk to make your own 'buttermilk'.

Google for exact amounts but 1Tbs viniger per 1/2 litre sounds about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Impossible? try the milk or yoghurt section in supermarkets, I always see it, normally not in with the main milk but very nearby. It is a yellow & white carton. Sometimes with the butter too.

EDIT: see you are in scotland! thought they would still have it though...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

rubadub wrote: »
    Impossible? try the milk or yoghurt section in supermarkets, I always see it, normally not in with the main milk but very nearby. It is a yellow & white carton. Sometimes with the butter too.

EDIT: see you are in scotland! thought they would still have it though...

Thanks, I know what it looks like, I've been using it to make bread for about 10 years. But it's just not available over here. Can't find in any supermarkets for even any speciality stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

You can use any acidic dairy product, including sour milk (easily prepared at home, with advance planning) or yoghurt.

Or you can use fresh milk, and add cream of tartar as well as bread soda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

i am vegan so always make my own butter milk for muffins etc.
    1 cup 'milk' (I use oat milk or soya milk, but normal milk should work fine with it) + 1 tsp vinegar. Give it a good stir :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement