Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband speed - Telephone point

Options
  • 12-01-2009 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

I currently have a DL connection speed of 3Mbps (soon to be 7.6) with Eircom.

Everything is hunky dorey using my telephone point in the sitting room.

I have a second telephone point in the hall. When I move the broadband router to that point the connection speed is a lot slower and this is shown when I visit http:\\192.168.1.254

Offhand I cannot remember the speed it was (did this last week) but it was Kbps rather than Mbps.

Can anyone advise why this might be so?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Eircom kinda insist you always install the router in the main (master) socket, this is the one they installed with the official Eircom ntu box. They have tested that line, box etc so they are confident it will work. The reason the speeds often drop if you use other sockets can be for one of the following reasons:

* Wired incorrectly, possibly bad polarity
    * Cheap Sockets, give bad connections
    * Long length of poor cable
    * Too many extension coming off the master socket

Before I recommend anything, how techy are you and are you comfortable opening up boxes etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

oh I'm a tech head.
    I'd be happy to tinker with this to get it to work. Ideally I would probably disconnect all extensions and just create new extension in a more suitable location altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Ya that'd be a good Idea, Id use a top quality network point or a really good telephone point, problem is you cant get good rj11 points in retail shops. Id run a lenght of cat5e from the ntu over to your new point and wire up a cat5e point instead. You will have good copper, good connections. PM me and I can sort you out with the above. I use panduit, they are one of the best on the market. The modules and face plates cost around ten euro but are worth every penny. I'll send you a freebie as my January good Karma if you PM me your details. Send on a number as well as I will need to advise you of connection issues..

Advertisement