Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP menus and tool/task bars all black

Options
  • 12-01-2009 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

It's my first post here but I'm not unfamiliar with forums in general.

I noticed a while ago that my Windows XP machine started up with a classic theme instead of my usual XP green theme. I hadn't bothered to change it back till recently, but upon changing it I got all black toolbars and windows. I should mention that when switching to the XP theme the preview did not include any sample of a window and when looking at the classic preview there was nothing but black with a tiny bit of white in the bottom righ corner. When I switched to the XP theme all of my windows, taskbars/toolbars went totally black. I can't seem to fudge my way through to the themes menu and get it to switch back at all. It seems to me that some required information is missing to display things correctly. All I can see when opening windows are some (not all) icons and the black box where there should be a window with text and stuff in it. I've restarted as I saw someone in another thread had luck with that but it didn't work for me. Any suggestions short of re-installing XP?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Can you navigate to system restore? If not I'm sure its accessible from the run command, don't know the command though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭SeanW

Try going into Safe Mode, and using sys restore from there?

Advertisement