Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Magazines

Options
  • 12-01-2009 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right section, im wondering about Easons and the likes, what do they do with old copies of magazines?The reason i ask is because it would be cool if i could possibly get copies of about 6/7 magazines every month i wouldn't mind waiting until the following month to get them if i got them for free, if i was to buy them all it is a rip off and would cost me over €45 which i don't have, do these mags get sent back to where they came from or are they just recycyled?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

jonny68 wrote: »
    Hope this is the right section, im wondering about Easons and the likes, what do they do with old copies of magazines?The reason i ask is because it would be cool if i could possibly get copies of about 6/7 magazines every month i wouldn't mind waiting until the following month to get them if i got them for free, if i was to buy them all it is a rip off and would cost me over €45 which i don't have, do these mags get sent back to where they came from or are they just recycyled?

can't speak for other shops but I worked for Easons so I know they return all their unsold magazines. I know Virgin Megastores use to just cut the cover off and return that for credit but Easons returns the whole magazine. With some newspapers they just have to cut off either the barcode [Irish indo/hearald] or the date [Irish times] but have to return the other newspapers. You won't get magazines from Easons for free or either with a discount - newspapers and magazines are the only area of the shop that staff don't get any discount on.

depending what magazine your looking to pick up it might be worth looking for a subscription. I know a I save a fair bit getting a sub for magazines like computer arts and Juxtapoz.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm not sure if you were referring to comics as well as "normal" magazines in your original post, but almost everything sold through the Direct Market is non-returnable so if it hasn't sold in its shipping month it'll stay in the shelves and eventually move into the back issue bin.

Regarding getting magazines cheaper - subscriptions are the way to go. You can usually get at least 20% off, with between 33% and 50% of coverprice being common discounts. Despite the Internet's best attempts to change the world in this regard, worthwhile content usually comes at a price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Thanks for the reply folks,some of the magazines i would want don't even offer subscriptions to Ireland and those who do there is no saving at all and they never arrive on time, i used to subscribe to one particular mag a few years ago but was always annoyed to see it on the shelves on Easons before i received it 2 weeks later.

Advertisement