Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a home network?

Options
  • 12-01-2009 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hello all, any wifi know alls (in a good way of course) know how to do this?

I have a wifi router setup and it *kinda works how I want it. Trouble is, sometimes on of my laptops takes ages "Aquiring Network Address" so I want to assign it an specific IP and do the same with laptop 2 and my Playstation 3.

So here's what I'm running.

Wireless Router: 192.168.1.254 is it's IP and I defo have this setup with all my ISP details, IP address / username and password, DNS etc... so i think each individual computer doesn't need it as it connects to this as a gateway (I think that's the logic behind it and how it works)
    Laptop_1 (Win XP): I want to assign this its own IP address, say 192.168.1.1
    Laptop_2 (Vista): I also want to assign this its own IP address, say 192.168.1.2
    Playstation 3: And I want to assign this its own IP address of 192.168.1.3

My thinking behind this is so that I can share a Wifi Printer (should I buy one) and also easily share files between all 3 computers / share the Internet connection.

As it standds, like I said, I can get all 3 online, but sometimes the new laptop (Laptop_2) won't connect to the network, and I could be mid game of Fifa or the likes and "an unexpected error has occured and you have been signed out of Playstation Network). Now, I know this isn't a PSNetwork problem, cos it disconnects the PS3 from the router.

Anyone any thoughts? Especially since I'm using 3 different operating systems.

I'm somewhat computer literate, but all this IP stuff really confuses me, Subnet masks and the likes!?!?!?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Hi lawright,

Dont think you will get any benefit by setting these devices to fixed ip, you should have no problem setting the up as dynamic ip to be honest, also makes it easier to travel with the laptop etc, if you go outside the home with it, and it has fixed ip adress, you will need to change the settings everytime you want to connect elsewhare.

Prob with laptop running vista, I have the same prob also with mine occasionally, seems to be a vista thing, but as it normally fixes itself, never bothered looking into it much further.

my 2c worth, keep everything dynamic, except perhaps the printer.
    Wexfordman

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

Actually! No need for a reply! Found out off the IT / General genius (who's never wrong, but never admits if he is anyway) how to do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

wexfordman wrote: »
    Hi lawright,

, also makes it easier to travel with the laptop etc, if you go outside the home with it, and it has fixed ip adress, you will need to change the settings everytime you want to connect elsewhare.

To be honest, only have the laptop cos it's handier in an apartment over a desktop, monitor, table, keyboard etc.... don't really take it anywhere!

Cheers for the thoughts!

Advertisement