Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On the search for a New Air Force One.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

it'll be the boeing.

I can't see them paying upwards of 1,5 billion on two A380s while they could just as easily keep that large amount of money in the country supporting their own industries. especially in such econimically unstable times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

it'll be the boeing.

I can't see them paying upwards of 1,5 billion on two A380s while they could just as easily keep that large amount of money in the country supporting their own industries. especially in such econimically unstable times.

That's what i was thinking. When was the last time the yanks bought a plane that wasn't american made?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

There are lots of Airbus customers in the states: JetBlue, USAir, United for example and there could be a flashback to 2005 when some of Rumsfield staff got in serious trouble for backhanding the 767 tankers into the airforce when they were a worse deal then airbuses offering.

The A380 could turn out cheaper to purchase, operate and support then the ancient 747 but yeah it would be hard to imagine the president of the US being flown around in a European aircraft :) Would be like the Queen being driven around in a Lexus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Air Force One is not just a flying office, it's an airborne command & control centre. The Airbus has the advantage of being bigger, it can carry more and can stay up longer. Not to be sniffed at. The US doesn't have an exactly equivalent modern civilian aircraft.

Problem is, it's only two aircraft.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

That's what i was thinking. When was the last time the yanks bought a plane that wasn't american made?

March. Airbus A-330s, AKA KC-45s. Made big news at the time.

KC45_banner.jpg

Now, the contract was since cancelled after the construction of only two, but due to the same stupidity that saw the cancellation of the Irish S-92 purchase.

Note that Marine One is the EH-101, not the Sikorskiy entrant. The UH-72 Lakota, the US Army's latest chopper is an EC-145 painted US Green.

NTM

• Advertisement

pclancy wrote: »
    Would be like the Queen being driven around in a Lexus.

For you to wash your mouth out with
    generator

:D

NTM

good god, they'll be letting irishmen in the army next :D

:D

There are lots of Airbus customers in the states: JetBlue, USAir, United for example and there could be a flashback to 2005 when some of Rumsfield staff got in serious trouble for backhanding the 767 tankers into the airforce when they were a worse deal then airbuses offering. .
    Jetblue, USair, etc air budget airlines. They couldnt care less about what they look like if they dont buy american. Look at ryanair even!, they buy boeing. It just works out best for those companies by putting in orders and buying in bulk. supporting their economy by buying more expensive planes doesnt even register to them.

The American military and the government are obliged however becasue it's in their interest to keep the money in the country. plus it will be on the tabloids and theyll probably get stoned for it.

Now, the contract was since cancelled after the construction of only two, but due to the same stupidity that saw the cancellation of the Irish S-92 purchase.NTM

so basically no business relative to what was supposed to happen. they got some nice publicity though.

Itll be the 747, regardless of size, suitabilty, or price of the A380.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

By 2017 the world may be ruled by a one world Government so I don't think it would make much odds whether its an Airbus A380 or 747 XXX. :eek:

• Advertisement

By 2017 the world may be ruled by a one world Government so I don't think it would make much odds whether its an Airbus A380 or 747 XXX. :eek:

oh god Rtdh, where did you just blow in from!....gowan, off to AH with you...back you go...shoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

With all the subcontracting Airbus and Boeing do it is hard to say which airplane is more American/European or Asian. Airbus may discount the price heavily due to the huge publicity winning the deal would get.

Somebody better design a plane big enough to hold the one world government then. Maybe the boards of all the major manufaturers are conspiring right now to build the new super plane in secret and unleash it at zero hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Somebody better design a plane big enough to hold the one world government then. Maybe the boards of all the major manufaturers are conspiring right now to build the new super plane in secret and unleash it at zero hour.
    Airbus & Boeing will have to merge. What about a Zeppelin?

becasue zepplins are small.

and they have a tendancy to explode in an awesome fireball that can engulf a large portion of the sky.

I doubt airbus will discount the A380 for anyone just yet. they still have way too many orders to process even at the moment.

Qantas are running adds for their new baby at the moment. it looks mighty impressive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

so basically no business relative to what was supposed to happen. they got some nice publicity though.

In this particular incident, yes. But the last two awards also went to European designs, be it the small but high-profile order of EH-101s for the Presidential Flight or the less-high profile, but of not inconsequential number of about 400 EC-145s.

5-uh-72a-lakota.jpg

I submit that 400 choppers from a single customer will keep EADS in business for a while.

Of note also that the reverse happened with the SAR order: Originally won by Boeing, it got thrown out and the competition is open again.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Short 330

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Although Airbus & partners and EC & partners (the EH-101 is far from finalised at the mo...;)) seem to be making inroads into US procurement, I think the A380 would be a step too far. Its an aircraft that has very specific logistical requirements vis a vis runways, ground handling, tech support etc. This would seem to be an over restrictive insurmountable problem IMHO when compared with a 747-800.

I reckon Boeing are safe enough with this one... unless they screw it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭oztots

I reckon the A380 would be a better choice as far as fuel economy and range go, and the whole myth about it not being allowed places was put out by boeing fearing that their old 747 might be knocked off top spot.

They'll still buy an american aircraft though, maybe 747-8? There would be hell to pay if they bought a european aircraft for their president, although this new fella doesnt seem to bad.

They won't want to be repeating the whole KC fiasco anytime soon. Airbus won, oh wait we'll hire boeings for a while. Airbus wins again and boeing goes ape.
    They give in and say we'll hold another competition in 3 months or so, Boeing says it cant have a proposasl ready in time and gets given an extension. Fair?

• Advertisement
Advertisement