Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 2000 - 320ci - Opinions please!!

Options
  • 12-01-2009 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hi All,

Just about to make a call to a garage in the UK about this car....the reason why I picked it is because it's got everything im looking for in a car.
    It's a 2.2l with only 58k on the clock..

guy is looking for 5490 pounds....i should easily be able to get it for 5k with a cash purchase.

what do ye think? The reason I'm askin is because I've read on boards previously how some models/versions of the same car are better than others...known engine problems with certain time span was manufactured on etc etc... FYI - I think this is a later 2000 model.

VRT as well....came in at just over 3300... a bit steep, but...hey...thats what that sophisticated website (!!)threw up.

Opinions peeps...I'm all ears :)!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

It's a fine car as you no doubt know. FSH would be essential, as would HPI and mileage check, then a good going over and everything checks out you're got yourself a lovely motor.

Check underbody or rust, you will find some, check rear brake lines and suspension. Factor €1K in the first year of ownership to get everything A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

would think its too dear to be honest, would get a 01 for that money wouldnt like the 320ci engine anyway would sooner go for a 318ci (01) or a six pot

stretchaq wrote: »
    would think its too dear to be honest, would get a 01 for that money wouldnt like the 320ci engine anyway would sooner go for a 318ci (01) or a six pot

The OP is looking at the 2.2 (6 cylinder), fine engine and much sweeter than the 4 pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 99qwerty99

hey

Yeah i was looking at 2001 both 318ci and the 320s, but the vrt seems to have a huge bearing on the year of manufacture...plus, there are virtually no 318ci 2001 cars out there with the spec this one car... for starters im looking for an automatic with full leather and cruise control....very hard to find!
    Yes I would defintiely prefer a 2001, but this one stuck out becuase , well (a) it's black, and
    (b) the VRT price is a little bit more managable than paying up to 5k for a car a year or 2 newer with the sameish spec and more mileage.... for that reason, it doesn't bother me THAT much that its a 2000..

I do plan to get the car fully looked at and have a few quid to spare for that..it's coming from a dealer so ill give them a shout and see what the story is.
    Hopefully I'll be able to grab a proper petrol head and bring him/her over with me... I really really like my cars, but my knowledge is certainly limited on what to look out for etc... I'd be more like 'if i drive it and it feels good, lets do it' - i know i need to be more cautious though :)

Thanks for the feedback so far..it's all very interesting reading indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

The OP is looking at the 2.2 (6 cylinder), fine engine and much sweeter than the 4 pot.

ah tis true

for intrest is this 320ci one of the older BMW engines?

• Advertisement

I'm afraid we're gonna have to open that question to the floow...i haven't a clue!
    I remember reading something before though about bmw 3 series, and how one year was wayy more prone to problems than other years...
    Now I could be completely off the mark here....i admit it was a while ago, but whatever it was, it definitely stuck in my head...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Scottie99

The 2.2 is a solid motor, but was more prone to using oil than the previous 2.0. On the upside it was a usefully quicker and more responsive than the 2.0.

As for troublesome years there is nothing to fear, you may be thinking of the Nikasil engine wear problem but that was in 1998 and does not affect you.

99qwerty99 wrote: »
    I'm afraid we're gonna have to open that question to the floow...i haven't a clue!
    I remember reading something before though about bmw 3 series, and how one year was wayy more prone to problems than other years...
    Now I could be completely off the mark here....i admit it was a while ago, but whatever it was, it definitely stuck in my head...

The issues with Bmw engines were with certain generations of the 320 diesel eating turbos and the Nikasil issue which was an issue on the e36 but not on the e46 as it had been sorted by then.

Edit: Stevie Dakota in before me on Nikasil!!

well according to 'whatcar?', this car is listed as being only worth just over 5k to buy...so i guess that means that i could get another chunk off the price if we start negotiating at what it's ACTUALLY worth...interesting...
    It just seems soo cheap doesnt it..for a car like this....it's an awful lots of car for 5000 ounds isnt it!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

the E46 has been talked about on many web sites as a fine car including the 320ci. The security locking system is I believe more secure than the newer models. I drive an e46 325ci as a daily and its a great little bus.....and it aint no slouch even with an auto box. The lights are sh@te though and you'll be upgrading to brighter bulbs.

Besta luck, a good car and reliable. Do not buy the 318.....4 cly petrols (apart from the m's) were not bm's forte until recently. Six pot all the way.

Advertisement