Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting Problems

Options
  • 12-01-2009 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Need some help...im a DIY novice at best.

moved into a house. bedroom had one wall painted peach. hated it. gave it a coat of white paint as it was too dark to just paint over and it would have ended up a different shade to the rest of the room which was cream or whatever.

but the peach paint started to peel off with the roller. so i stopped painting it white and scrapped off the peach paint with a scraper(more like chipped it off...took ages!). the wall is solid...not plasterboard...and a bit dusty i guess would be the way to describe it but solid.

i was wondering...if i just paint over it again with white...and then with the colour i actually want the wall to be (yellow) will it just start peeling again?
    do i need to do something to the wall first???

any help at all would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

It sounds like you need to first apply a plaster sealer -- available from all DIY stores. Some people simply use a diluted emulsion paint as a sealer, but personally I have only found that effective on good plaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

hi lm a painter,what u need to get is a stain block sealer,it sounds like there could of been damp or a leak in that wall at sometime.
    if u get a stain block sealer and paint the wholewall then put two coats of emulsiononit will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭shakespeare

thanks a million lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hetack

robbie1977 wrote: »
    hi lm a painter,what u need to get is a stain block sealer,it sounds like there could of been damp or a leak in that wall at sometime.
    if u get a stain block sealer and paint the wholewall then put two coats of emulsiononit will be fine.

Yes as robbie 1977 said. I recommend "Bins Primer Sealer" if you can get your hands on it.

Advertisement