Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bremore Castle

• 12-01-2009 3:25pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what's going on with Bremore castle in Balbriggan. For the past 7 years its been covered in scaffolding but there seems to be very little progress.
    I know it is supposedly being restored but has it been mothballed? and what does Fingal Coco intend doing with it in the long term?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

It's a co FCC & FAS restoration project and has been used in the training of long lost skills, stone cutting etc..,

It will open ala Skerries Mills when complete. It's been ongoing since the early 1990s, when restoration begun on the ground levels.

It's a shame the Cardy Rock housing development was allowed encroach upon it so much, its surely in the running for misplaced development of recent times. Something as hideous as it is should never have been given a location on the coast combined with the northern entrance to the town.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Bremore castle began reconstruction before the 90s, I was in primary school in Malagas when they began that.

It has been used over the years to train stonemasons etc. A friend of mine, (RIP Joe), was trained as a stonemason there and I remember how he told me about his experiences working on it. Because of the type of reconstruction AND the apprenticeship nature of the work it is a slow a tedious process but one which has helped revive some of the older traditions which had gone by the wayside in this country.

It will be a fantastic place when finished, just dont expect to be visiting it any time soon!!

Also, no offence meant to anyone unlucky enough to be living in cardy rock, but that pustulating eyesore of a development should be nuked from orbit. Also the lane leading to Bremore castle and down under the railway to the hurling pitches should be cleaned up, its a disgrace the amount of illegal dumping (and drug use) going on there.

My friends car was burgled in o dweyers carpark and being a local lad I thought of all the places they mightve run with the stuff they took (basically any bag/item of clothing with pockets). Guess where I found most of it? CORRECT! Thrown on the side of that stinking dirty badly-lit laneway.

Scumbags.

Advertisement