Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conference Championship Games

• 12-01-2009 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

confoh5.jpg

January 18th

AFC Championship Game
    Baltimore Ravens @ Pittsburgh Steelers

NFC Championship Game
    Philadelphia Eagles @ Arizona Cardinals

Gonna be two absolutely awesome games here folks. My original prediction from a few weeks ago still stands, Im going for a Superbowl featuring the Eagles and the Steelers (with the Steelers to take it ;) ).

Its almost here :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,903 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Archimedes wrote: »
    confoh5.jpg

January 18th

AFC Championship Game

NFC Championship Game

Gonna be two absolutely awesome games here folks. My original prediction from a few weeks ago still stands, Im going for a Superbowl featuring the Eagles and the Steelers (with the Steelers to take it ;) ).

Its almost here :)
    There gonna be two completely different type of games as well.

A defensive fest in Pittsburgh and a high scoring game in Arizona.

AFC Championship Game

They have met twice already this season and the Ravens have come out on the losing side by 4 points and 3 points. The two best defenses in the league pitted against each other again. The Ravens struggled to get any rythym going on offense the last two times they met and also against the Titans the weekend.
    Pittsburgh have Big Ben and Willie Parker looking in great shape, they were hugely impressive against the Chargers albeit the Chargers defense looked horrendous.
    I think the Steelers take this one on their way to winning the Superbowl, while I think the Steelers just have an edge on defense, its their offense and Special Teams where they have a bigger advantage. The Ravens need to get their offense to sparkle in this game or they are gone imo. I predict a 9 point win for the Steelers.
    NFC Championship Game

These Cardinals have shocked me so far, they mauled the Falcons and then overran the Panthers which to me was one of the biggest shocks of the season. Their offense is humming right now and they will be hard to stop at home. Kurt Warner is having a great postseason with incredible assistance from Larry Fitzgerald, Edgerrin James and Tim Hightower along with an impressive Oline.
    If the Eagles were to win the Superbowl it will be Andy Reid who gets most of the credit for benching McNabb a couple of weeks. Whatever he did there he has gotten the very best from McNabb since. And McNabb is the key for the Eagles in this game, Westbrook will get plenty of room to run the ball, but its all in McNabbs hands.

Bascially this game comes down to turnovers, and while the McNabb has shown in the past that he is well capable of throwing interceptions, he seems more calculated and careful since that famous benching incident. This game will be high scoring and very close but I think we see McNabb getting the Eagles though in a very tight game. It could go to overtime, it could end up being the Cards losing by one based on two field goals versus a TD. I am really looking forward to it.

Which game is first, I hope and presume its the AFC one. Always lke to see a defensive game before a potent attacking one. Its more fun that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Ravens Eagles at the big dance.

Ravens to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Still rooting for the Ravens.

Warner's still contuing his fairytale career by getting this far with the Cards. Would love to see him get to the big 'un (I'm a huge fan) but something is pushing at me that their bubble's gonna bust. Still really iffy over the Eagles/Cardinals so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Ravens/Eagles for the Superbowl for me, with the Ravens to take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

eagle eye wrote: »
    There gonna be two completely different type of games as well.

A defensive fest in Pittsburgh and a high scoring game in Arizona.

AFC Championship Game

They have met twice already this season and the Ravens have come out on the losing side by 4 points and 3 points. The two best defenses in the league pitted against each other again. The Ravens struggled to get any rythym going on offense the last two times they met and also against the Titans the weekend.
    Pittsburgh have Big Ben and Willie Parker looking in great shape, they were hugely impressive against the Chargers albeit the Chargers defense looked horrendous.
    I think the Steelers take this one on their way to winning the Superbowl, while I think the Steelers just have an edge on defense, its their offense and Special Teams where they have a bigger advantage. The Ravens need to get their offense to sparkle in this game or they are gone imo. I predict a 9 point win for the Steelers.
    NFC Championship Game

These Cardinals have shocked me so far, they mauled the Falcons and then overran the Panthers which to me was one of the biggest shocks of the season. Their offense is humming right now and they will be hard to stop at home. Kurt Warner is having a great postseason with incredible assistance from Larry Fitzgerald, Edgerrin James and Tim Hightower along with an impressive Oline.
    If the Eagles were to win the Superbowl it will be Andy Reid who gets most of the credit for benching McNabb a couple of weeks. Whatever he did there he has gotten the very best from McNabb since. And McNabb is the key for the Eagles in this game, Westbrook will get plenty of room to run the ball, but its all in McNabbs hands.

Bascially this game comes down to turnovers, and while the McNabb has shown in the past that he is well capable of throwing interceptions, he seems more calculated and careful since that famous benching incident. This game will be high scoring and very close but I think we see McNabb getting the Eagles though in a very tight game. It could go to overtime, it could end up being the Cards losing by one based on two field goals versus a TD. I am really looking forward to it.

Which game is first, I hope and presume its the AFC one. Always lke to see a defensive game before a potent attacking one. Its more fun that way.

Eagles @ Cardinals is first. Times are in the banner posted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Ravens V Eagles i think...

Archimedes wrote: »
    Eagles @ Cardinals is first. Times are in the banner posted!
    Ah well, just like to watch a good defensive game first, but actually it will be interesting the other way around also.

A lot of guys going for the Ravens which surprises me given their record against the Steeler this year.

Just so you guys know, I'm not an AFC nut or anything but I've been shouting for the Steelers since it became clear that the Pats were out. I picked them a good while ago as the team I thought most likely to win it.

If the Ravens beat them I want to see the Ravens win it. They are the two best teams left imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Don't think too many could have predicted the outcome of the playoffs thusfar.

That said, I do think the Ravens have the chance to do something special against the Steelers. Surely the Eagles will beat Arizona!?

That said an all Pennsylvania Super Bowl should have some bite in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Well the AFC could go either way really. Ed Reed seems on a mission and the rest of the D is responding. Flacco is looking solid aswell and if they can get running game going they can win. But if the Steeler can establish the run they should be able to dictate the pace of the game and control the clock to win in a close one.

The NFC is just as tough to call. On the face of it one would think that the Eagles should win it but the Cards have a very potent offense and their D is playing way above expectations. The eagles D is on fire though and McNabb seems to be playing well. Westbrook looks pretty beat up though so that will be an issue. McNabb has one of the best interception to passes ratios in NFL history though so you would expect the Eagles to win the turnover battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

All Pennsylvania Superbowl IMO. What an occasion that would be. I think the Eagles will go all the way (picked them since the Colts went out). TBH, Ravens Cards would be a disappointing SB, given what's left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fox1978

Is anyone watching these games anywhere in Dublin like the Woolshed? I usually just watch the games at home and the SB out in somewhere like Captain Americas but perhaps these Conference Championships deserve the Woolshed treatment?

I wanna see Ravens lose. Hate those guys. Don't like Steelers much better but respect them as a great team. I can't believe Panthers sucked so bad and Cardinals won (especially after my Pats beat them 47-7 in the regular season). I think Eagles and Steelers but if Boldin is healthy, Cardinals could take it with homefield advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

January 18th

AFC Championship Game

NFC Championship Game

Steelers v Cardinals Superbowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Lirange

Pittsburgh 3 Baltimore 0 (double OT)

Philly 34 Cards 24

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Fox1978 wrote: »
    Is anyone watching these games anywhere in Dublin like the Woolshed? I usually just watch the games at home and the SB out in somewhere like Captain Americas but perhaps these Conference Championships deserve the Woolshed treatment?

Maybe,but whats the story with the new licensing laws that came into place? Don't all pubs have to shut at 11 or 12 on sundays now,no exceptions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Watching Total Access earlier and the amount of Ravens players banged up.

Eagles Steelers Superbowl for me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭kev_s88

ravens-v-eagles superbowl

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bigdaddyliamo

Yep, Eagles - Ravens for the big game.
    I'm going for the Eagles to take it. I would love to see the 6th seed outsiders going all the way!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭GetOffMyPatch

Have to agree with SantryRed - Ravens look banged up with injuries to key players such as Suggs and Rolle (Reed and Lewis will be ok). Part of the Ravens game plan will be to bring pressure on Big Ben (Oline is poor). If they can't bring that pressure effectivly, Big Ben will be able to move the ball and the Steelers will win easy. So long as they don't win by more than 6, I'll be happy though.

Eagles to beat Cards by a TD or more. Their Defense is a different class to what they have played in the playoffs till now. If they can shut down James, the Cards passing game will become more predictable and I wouldnt be surprised to see a pick from Asante Samuel.

Eagles, Steelers for me with Eagles to soar in Tampa :D

Not long to go... come on the Eagles!!!! I'm so freakin nervous about this game. I hate when we're favoured... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

Steelers - Eagles Superbowl

Steelers to win late in the game after some big plays from big ben

GO BLACK AND GOLD!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

...with Eagles to soar in Miami :D

So you don't think they'll make it to the Superbowl, then?

What's on in Miami, by the way?

:D

Steelers and Cards for me, with Cards to win.

Well that was a quick start by the Cards. What's with the Eagles D?

This is lame... Cards looking good. Eagles D all over the shop. McNabb shocking so far...

Oh God, I can't believe the Cardinals might actually make the Superbowl...

I have noticed, well after watching out for it, but after NcNabbs 22 yard rush earlier, that there seems to be a lot of opportunities for him to run the ball so far. I wonder if they will tell him to take more chances with it and force a more honest look from that Cards defense. I know you always risk injury but McNabb is a tough nut in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

cards offense looking good nice play for the td just now

eagles D looks awful

I have noticed, well after watching out for it, but after NcNabbs 22 yard rush earlier, that there seems to be a lot of opportunities for him to run the ball so far. I wonder if they will tell him to take more chances with it and force a more honest look from that Cards defense. I know you always risk injury but McNabb is a tough nut in fairness.

This is a good point.
    McNabb is great at running the ball, he's had a few opportunities to do so and has opted against it.
    Hope to see him doing it more after the half time break

Frisbee wrote: »
    This is a good point.
    McNabb is great at running the ball, he's had a few opportunities to do so and has opted against it.
    Hope to see him doing it more after the half time break
    Yeah even on that last drive it opened up for him twice, right in front of him.

Yeah even on that last drive it opened up for him twice, right in front of him.

Things really aren't looking great for the Eagles here. Cardinals are dicking on them.
    McNabb really needs to stand up and be counted for here

The Philly defence really needs to get their head in the game aswell...

I'm starting to wonder if they can cover Fitzgerald, he is having an awesome game yet again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Holy crap! Warner and Fitz are on fire.

Advertisement