Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West West(side) Y'all...

Options
  • 12-01-2009 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭

Alright, so I know I originally planned to do this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055446718&highlight=stripping+basics

But I just can't get my head around the concept and instead have decided to take the safe option and follow the Westside For skinny B*stards Part III programme for the next five weeks or so.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles.html

Done very little over Christmas so today was my first day back properly in about three weeks.

It went like so...

Monday (Max Effort Upr Body):
    Bench Press:
    Empty Bar x 10
    50kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    90kg x 3
    100kg x 3
    105kg x 3
    110kg x 2 (failed on last rep)

DB flat bench presses
    20kg x 20 (twice)

Superset:
    BB Rows x 12 superset with seated DB cleans (2x10kg) x 10 (Four Sets)

DB Shrugs:
    Two 40kg DB x 15 (Four sets)

Zottman Curls
    15kg (each hand) x 10
    12.5 x 10
    10kg x 10

Not a bad first day, was happy with the bench as I don't seem to have lost too much, if any, over the Xmas break. Zottman's at the end were poor though, I would not usually be that fatigued at the end of this set. Although I kind of question the value of that particular exercise and might just swap in regular BB curls next week.

This is the second time I've done Westside, the first was a year ago and the results were astounding. It was probably the first proper programme I'd ever followed so you always expects serious results.

I'd appreciate input from anyone about my programme. If there's anything standing out as a mistake in how I go about doing it, please feel free!

I've also considered dropping the Tuesday (Dynamic Effort Lwr Body) from the programme. Three days in the gym a week is enough for me. Obviously this will curtail the possible results I can achieve but I wonder just how much?? I could add some of the Tuesday stuff to other days... any ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Christ, that's definitely a huge leap from the simple, simple programme you were going to follow (and I am following)... took a fair ould while to plan out a week's training using all of the pick one of these, superset these two, do five of these, rub your tummy, make a chicken noise, etc. ;)

Still, best of luck mate and it'll be interesting to see where we both are in a couple of months!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Christ, that's definitely a huge leap from the simple, simple programme you were going to follow (and I am following)... took a fair ould while to plan out a week's training using all of the pick one of these, superset these two, do five of these, rub your tummy, make a chicken noise, etc. ;)

Still, best of luck mate and it'll be interesting to see where we both are in a couple of months!

:D:D

Tell me about it... How are you gettin on with the other one? I'm going to do this for six full weeks then take it easy for a fortnight maybe... Might give that other programme a belt after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Best of luck with it. I did Westside for the 6 months up to Xmas and loved it, great gains too. If I was to drop a day it would be the upper DE day rather than the lower, and I'd probably make the lower day an RE day too. I never got anything from the speed days. When you're starting out bar speed isn't really what's holding you back and that's really all DE days are about.

kevpants wrote: »
    Best of luck with it. I did Westside for the 6 months up to Xmas and loved it, great gains too. If I was to drop a day it would be the upper DE day rather than the lower, and I'd probably make the lower day an RE day too. I never got anything from the speed days. When you're starting out bar speed isn't really what's holding you back and that's really all DE days are about.

Aww, but I really like the Upper DE Day! :D

Thanks for the input Kev

Hang on - there is no DE Upper Day on WFSB III?? :confused:

• Advertisement

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Hang on - there is no DE Upper Day on WFSB III?? :confused:

Bwaahahha

Sorry I'm not really familiar with how DeFranco does it. He's just messed around with the original Westside idea and most people who train it do the same. I incorporated 20 rep squat sessions into it at one stage. I could be the next DeFranco with that one!

Does he give any reason why he thinks a DE Lower day is necessary for "skinny bastards"?

Bwaahahha

Sorry I'm not really familiar with how DeFranco does it. He's just messed around with the original Westside idea and most people who train it do the same. I incorporated 20 rep squat sessions into it at one stage. I could be the next DeFranco with that one!

Does he give any reason why he thinks a DE Lower day is necessary for "skinny bastards"?

Uummm, I think so but I never really read it all that thoroughly! I'm a bit like a sheep when it comes to this stuff, I just follow what the big strong dude tells me via his website! :o

Yeah just feel your way through it and see how it works for you. Westside is very customizable, there are tonnes of ways to do it, I'm sure this one will produce the goods.

Yeah just feel your way through it and see how it works for you. Westside is very customizable, there are tonnes of ways to do it, I'm sure this one will produce the goods.

Thanks, I'm planning to log every session here so any pointers please don't hesitate - that goes for everyone else too!

TUESDAY (Day 2 - Dynamic Effort Lwr Body):

Warmed Up with five mins of skipping and plenty of stretching as hadn't done any leg work in a while.

Box Jumps:
    5 sets of 5

Bulgarian Split Squats:
    7.5kg DB in each hand, 10 reps each leg (Three Sets).

Deadlifts:
    60kg x 12
    70kg x 12
    80kg x 12

Leg Raises:
    Three sets of 15

Had a good stretch to warm down.

Session felt fine, it's hard enough on the ol legs when you've been neglecting leg work for a while. The Deadlift is really something I want to get my teeth into as I've never really attacked it in any serious way although I like doing it.

This is the session I'm thinking about dropping - I'm playing astro tonight for an hour from 8-9pm and I've a feeling I'll be walking like the Duke John Wayne afterward... If I dropped this session maybe I could add the Deadlifting to Max Effort Lwr Body day for the time being??

• Advertisement

This is the session I'm thinking about dropping - I'm playing astro tonight for an hour from 8-9pm and I've a feeling I'll be walking like the Duke John Wayne afterward... If I dropped this session maybe I could add the Deadlifting to Max Effort Lwr Body day (Friday) for the time being??

Scratch that - there's already similiar on the Friday programme...

Is deadlifting for reps a feature of DeFrancos way of doing things? If you're just doing them cos you want to get into them then props for your enthusiasm but I think you may end up taking too much out of yourself and not getting all you can out of it. DEFINITELY don't add them in as an asistance exercise after your heavy squats. You could do Romanian Deadlifts for your hams but full deadlifts would be too much.

Deadlifting wouldn't normally be used as an assistance exercise. In fact a lot of powerlifters on Westside NEVER deadlift at all. They believe it just takes too much out of you and you're better off doing exercises that will bring the deadlift up (Good mornings, pullthru's etc)

The most common way to use it is as a Max Effort exercise only. I only ever deadlifted as a Max Effort lift for 3 weeks at a time every second 3 weeks and it went from 160 to 230 so there's something to it.

Is deadlifting for reps a feature of DeFrancos way of doing things? If you're just doing them cos you want to get into them then props for your enthusiasm but I think you may end up taking too much out of yourself and not getting all you can out of it. DEFINITELY don't add them in as an asistance exercise after your heavy squats. You could do Romanian Deadlifts for your hams but full deadlifts would be too much.

Deadlifting wouldn't normally be used as an assistance exercise. In fact a lot of powerlifters on Westside NEVER deadlift at all. They believe it just takes too much out of you and you're better off doing exercises that will bring the deadlift up (Good mornings, pullthru's etc)

The most common way to use it is as a Max Effort exercise only. I only ever deadlifted as a Max Effort lift for 3 weeks at a time every second 3 weeks and it went from 160 to 230 so there's something to it.

Thanks a lot Kev... what are the differences between DL and Romanian DLs? I think it is actually the Romanian DL that Defranco specifies in this particular session now that you mention it.

EDIT: Damn, yeah, it should've been Romanian DLs...

So played an hour astro and am feeling it now. Legs are jaded. Rest day tomorrow so will eat well and maybe get a swim and/or sauna in.

Next up is the Repetition Upr Body day on Thursday. I like this session if I remember rightly from last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Thanks a lot Kev... what are the differences between DL and Romanian DLs? I think it is actually the Romanian DL that Defranco specifies in this particular session now that you mention it.

EDIT: Damn, yeah, it should've been Romanian DLs...

RDLs are mainly a hamstring exercise, see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnBREGM7pE0&feature=related

There may be some disagreement as to how low the bar should go, but basically you should feel a stretch in your hamstrings and the lower back should not be involved. Hope that is agreeable with all, RDLs were never a good lift for me for some reason.

RDLs are mainly a hamstring exercise, see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnBREGM7pE0&feature=related

There may be some disagreement as to how low the bar should go, but basically you should feel a stretch in your hamstrings and the lower back should not be involved. Hope that is agreeable with all, RDLs were never a good lift for me for some reason.

Spot on. Don't let the bar touch the ground. They take a bit of practice before you feel it in the right place, the hamstrings as Brian said. A good tip Hanley gave me is to concentrate on pushing your ass back as far as possible on the way down. This seems to concentrate them on the hamstrings rather than your lower back.

That's great Fellas, thanks alot.

Bit stiff today but no more than expected. Gonna hit the pool, jacuzzi and sauna for a little while before work and eat like f*ck all day! :pac:

THURSDAY (Day 3, Week 1, Repetition Upr Body)

Flat Bench DB Press:
    20kg each hand x 15 (Three Sets)

Superset 1:
    Chin-ups (x8) with Rear Delt Flys (15kg db for first set, 10kg thereafter) - Four Sets

DB Military Press:
    15kg each hand x 12 (Four Sets)

Superset 2:
    DB Shrugs, 37.5kg each hand (x15) with BB Curls, 20kg+eazicurl bar x 12 (Three Sets)

Not a bad session, although I thought I remembered it being more fun last year! It's not supposed to wreck ya and it didn't. Although I found the Rear Delt Flys difficult. Have never done them before and thought I would be more able for them than I was.

Squat Day tomorrow - So a weekend of walking funny awaits! :)

Had a miserable morning and ended up late to the gym so couldn't get the full Friday session done before work.

Here's what went down anyhoo...

BB SQUAT:
    10 x bodyweight after warming up.
    Empty Bar x 10
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100 kg x 5
    110kg x 3
    120kg x 3
    125kg x 2 (failed on last rep - God bless safety bars!)

WALKING LUNGES
    Three Sets, 14 lunges (seven each side)... hard on the hammers!!

Stretch, shave, shower and outta there!

Squat was pretty much where I expected it to be at after neglecting if for quite a while although was disappointed not to complete the last set.

That's week 1 out of the way and I can see right in front of my eyes how lazy I had gotten in the past 6 months or so - the figures don't lie!

Lot's of work to do...

WEEK 2

MONDAY (Max Effort Upr Body)

Bench Press:
    Empty Bar x 10
    50kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    110kg x 3

Barbell Push-Ups:
    Two sets of 25 - these were supposed to be sets of 20 with a weighted vest but apparently some sod's nicked the weighted vest from the gym!

Superset:
    BB Rows (6ft bar plus 25kg) with Scarecrows (7.5kg DB each hand) - Four sets, 10 reps each

Barbell Shrugs:
    60kg plus 6ft BB. Four sets (two behind back, two in front) of 15reps

BB Curls:
    Eazi-curl bar plus 20kg. Two sets of 15 reps, one of 12 and one (very tired) set of 10.

I felt good throughout this workout and my bench felt strong. The numbers aren't much different from this day last week, granted, but I felt much better throughout each rep.

I had planned to do chest-supported rows in the superset but the station was in use so I just done BB Rows - which I find very effective anyway - instead. The Scarecrows were a new experience but I can see why they're a good exercise although I felt my form was probably a little loose on them.

I usually do shrugs with DBs rather than a BB and I think I'll go back to the DB, they feel a lot more effective.

Conclusion - a good start to week two, felt strong today.

• Advertisement

Tuesday (Week 2, Dynamic Effort Lwr Body):

Box Jumps - 5x5

Bulgarian Splits - 7.5kg DB each hand, Three sets of 10

Romanian Deadlifts - 40kg of plates on 6ft bar. Three sets of 12

Russian BB Twists - 4 Sets of 15

Not a bad session - not sure about the Russian Twists thingys though, just seemed to end up with knackered arms tbh!

THURSDAY (Week Two, Repetition Upr Body):

Inclined DB Press:
    17.5kg each hand, Four sets of 15

Superset 1:
    Chins (x8) with DB Powercleans, 10kg DBs (x10)

DB Lateral Raises:
    Four sets of 10, 8kg DBs for first 3 sets and 5kg for last set - TOUGH!

Superset 2:
    DB Shrugs (40kg DBs) x 15 with Tricept Pushdowns (x15

Plate Pinch:
    Two 10kg plates, held for as long as possible - twice each hand.

This session beat me up a lot more than the Thrusday session the week before. Felt good after it though so hopefully Squat day tomorrow goes better than last week.

Had a match Friday so postponed Squat Day until today...

Squat:
    10 x bodyweight
    10 x Empty Bar
    5 x 60kg
    5 x 80kg
    5 x 90kg
    5 x 100kg
    3 x 110kg
    3 x 120kg
    2 x 130kg

WALKING LUNGES:
    Three sets of 12 (six each side)

ROMANIAN DEADLIFTS:
    Four Sets of 12, 40kg plates on 6ft Oly Bar

Disappointed with my Squat. Not necessarily the numbers, but it just didn't feel strong today. I went to the gym early (for me) at 10am with no breakfast and I must say I felt weak. I was actually surprised I got the Squat up to 130kg because I was struggling at 100 to an extent.

I didn't even attempt a third rep at 130kg as I just knew it wasn't there.

This should've been the Friday session of Week Two (last week) so I'll condense the programme a little bit this week to get back in the pattern.

So much for condensing the programme! Week Three had to be delayed by a week, owing to a couple of football matchs and training not to mention the fact I managed to hurt my back playing golf...

Right, enough excuses... here's how Week 3 kicked off

Week 3, Day 1 Max Effort Upper Body

Bench Press:
    Empty Bar x 10
    50kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    100kg 3
    110kg x 3

DB Press:
    2x25kg DBs x 20 - Two Sets

Superset:
    Chest Supported Rows (40kg weights) with 'Scarecrows' (two x 7.5kg DBs)
    Four sets: 12reps each for first set and 10 thereafter

DB Shrugs:
    Two 40kg DBs, Four sets of 15

BB Curls:
    20kg weight on the Eazi-curl bar. Four sets of Ten.

I was very happy with this session. After almost a full week off from the gym I was bouncing off the walls and raring to go.

That is my thrird Bench Pressing session (going to 3RM) and I'm disappointed overall that the numbers have not gone up the way I woudl have hoped. But today was definitely far better than the previous two weeks.

I felt really strong and every Rep felt really well executed. I possibly could have went to 115kg (def 112.5kg) and done 1/2 reps but was happy enough with how it went and with no spotter, I moved on.

Again, very happy to get two sets of 20 on the DBs as I was quite fatigued from the Bench. One thing I need to improve is my form on the Shrugs. I think I'll drop the weight down next week and just try to do them better.

All in All - good session. Felt very strong throughout.

Lower Body Max Effort Day (Squat Day!):

Barbell Squat:
    20 x bodyweight
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    110kg x 3
    120kg x 3
    125kg x 3
    130kg x 3
    135kg x 1

Walking Lunges:
    Four sets of 12 (six each leg)

Romanian Deadlifts:
    50kg weights on 6ft Oly Bar - Four sets of 12.

Very happy with my Squat. It's actually a PR I think. Almost sure I didn't get up to that weight last year. I was wobbly on 135kg, so didn't go for a second rep - it may possibly have been there but I didn't go for it.

Man, those Walking Lunges are a killer on the hammys!

Good session, happy with everything. Happy it aint snowing anymore, too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

good lifting dude...walking lunges...man i hate walking lunges..

good lifting dude...walking lunges...man i hate walking lunges..

Thanks Fella - was gonna start deadlifting instead of Squatting next week (which should be this week but for snow, football and one or two other lame excuses!!) but think I'll givie it one more week of Squatting and try get to 135kgx3 - I'd be happy with that for now, then work on the DL for a few weeks.

is there a reason your not doing them both in the same week??

is there a reason your not doing them both in the same week??

Yeah, for now I'm following Defranco's Westside for Skinny B*tards III, it calls for either Squats or DLs on the Max Effort Lower Body day... Kevpants suggested earlier that sticking with one for a few weeks then switching to the other might be a good way to get a good run at both of them... I agree - so hoping to give the DLing a good rattle for 5/6 weeks now.

• Advertisement

mmm intresting approach..mate of mine was over with defranco last summer for 8 weeks...ill be keeping an eye to see how the one or the other approach goes for you! it certainly should speed up recovery all right as its another heavy lift that wont be affecting recovery

Advertisement