Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West West(side) Y'all...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

mmm intresting approach..mate of mine was over with defranco last summer for 8 weeks...ill be keeping an eye to see how the one or the other approach goes for you! it certainly should speed up recovery all right as its another heavy lift that wont be affecting recovery

Well my kind of longish term goal is to work all three major lifts up to as high a level as I can in the next 3, 4, 5 months or so... Then drop down a more basic programme that involves three days a week - one of just Benching, one just Squats, and one just DL and see how what effect this has...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

mmm intresting approach..mate of mine was over with defranco last summer for 8 weeks...ill be keeping an eye to see how the one or the other approach goes for you! it certainly should speed up recovery all right as its another heavy lift that wont be affecting recovery

Tis just the basic Westside approach.

If you were to go for singles at your absolute max in squat then do it in deadlifts a few days later after a few weeks you'd be fried and start getting weaker/injured. You're firing alot of the same muscles with them.

Plus I found 3 weeks of ME squatting added about 5 or 10 kg to my deadlift and vice versa when Westside was in full swing for me.

kevpants wrote: »
    Tis just the basic Westside approach.

If you were to go for singles at your absolute max in squat then do it in deadlifts a few days later after a few weeks you'd be fried and start getting weaker/injured. You're firing alot of the same muscles with them.

Plus I found 3 weeks of ME squatting added about 5 or 10 kg to my deadlift and vice versa when Westside was in full swing for me.

I'm quietly kinda hoping the same, myself!

All input appreciated lads. I'm learning as I go, here.

Had to crawl to a physio today - hurt my back and neck... playing golf :o

Can't believe it. It was sore last week so I laid off the weights but played two football matches and trained during the week and was fine...

Then yesterday hit a few glf balls and when I woke up this morning - agony :(

Hopefully be fine in a couple of days, I'm ear-marking Friday morning for my next gym session.

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Had to crawl to a physio today - hurt my back and neck... playing golf :o

Can't believe it. It was sore last week so I laid off the weights but played two football matches and trained during the week and was fine...

Then yesterday hit a few glf balls and when I woke up this morning - agony :(

Hopefully be fine in a couple of days, I'm ear-marking Friday morning for my next gym session.

^^^^^
    Well, well, wellllll... would ye listen to him, the big Jessie with his sore back... I can't believe it's almost two years since I abandoned this thread - and in the process abandoned any serious training (bar the odd fitfull fortnight here & there) I was doing...

Right, this is me trying to get back into it... Have done three fairly decent weeks now, again following the WS4SB III programme and am once again enjoying the whole process.

Here's what this week looked like

WEEK THREE

MONDAY
    Bench Press

Empty Bar x 10
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    105kg x 3
    107.5kg x 2 (bottled the third rep, it may have been there)

DB Bench Press
    22.5kg (each hand) x 20 - twice

Superset
    BB rows (25kg + curl bar) x 12
    with
    Seated DB Cleans (7.5kg each hand) x 12

DB Shrugs
    30kg each hand x 15 (four sets)

DB Curls
    12.5kg (each hand) x 15 (four sets)

Press-ups
    25 on Dumb bells (to save the oul wrists!)

TUESDAY
    BB Squat

Empty bar x 10
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    115kg x 3
    125kg x 3
    135kg x 3
    140kg x 3 ( *PB* I think, although I seem to have a vague recolection of having 140 on the bar at some stage in my old gym??)

Walking Lunges
    Three sets of 14

Stiff-leg DL
    60kg x 12 (3 sets)

Ab Circuit x 3

WEDNESDAY (today)
    DB Press

25kg x 15 (four sets)

Superset
    Chins (x8) with Seated DB cleans (x12) - four supersets

DB Military Press
    15kg (each hand) x 15 - four sets

Superset
    Shrugs (30kg each hand) x 15
    with
    Seated DB curls (15kg each hand by 10 - first two sets and 12.5kg each hand x 10 for last two sets) - Four Sets altogther.

Press Ups x 30 on DBs.

This is my week programme condensed into three days this week as I'm off galavanting for the New Year. Week Four will start either this Sunday or next Monday. It will most likely be a four-day week going forward.

As with my other (abandoned) Log, all input, criticism and banter is greatly appreciated and encouraged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Welcome back.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Welcome back.

Thanks d', although it was alot of fun being gone! :pac:

WEEK 4

MONDAY
    Bench Press

Empty Bar x 10
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    95kg x 3
    102.5kg x 3
    107.5kg x 3
    110kg x 2 (third rep was there, I'm sure it was - bottled it.. again!)

DB Bench Press
    22.5kg each hand x 20 - twice

Superset
    BB Rows (25kg on EZ Curl Bar) x 12
    with
    Seated DB Cleans (7.5kg each hand) x 12
    Four Sets

DB Shrugs
    30kg each hand - Four sets of 15

DB Curls
    12.5kg each hand - four sets of 12-15

Press Ups
    One set of 30

Delighted with the Bench today. For the first workout of the year - and bearing in mine I've spent much of the last two days praying to God for the sweet release of death after a particularly manic New Year's eve etc - I was over the moon with how strong I was.

Dreaded going to the gym today but 110kg is the heaviest I've had on the bar for a long while now so it looks like things are moving in the right direction. 107.5kg went easily - it was supposed to be my last set and I was just "hoping" to get it but I was within myself through all three reps so I decided to throw 110 on.

I pretty much never use a spotter, which is much why I didn't risk the third rep on 110 - but I honestly feel there was a better than even-money chance I could've got it.

Pretty wrecked now but well worth it of course...

WEDNESDAY
    Barbell Squat

Empty Bar x 10
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    (added belt)
    100kg x 3
    120kg x 3
    130kg x 3
    135kg x 3
    140kg x 3

Bulgarian Split Squats
    Four Sets of 12 (two sets each leg) with 10kg DBs
    Two sets of 12 (two each leg) with 15kg DBs

Romanian DLs
    60kg x 12 - Six Sets

Ab Circuit x 3

A so-so session today. I am condensing a four-day session into three (thanks to some advice from Hanley) so this is kind of two lower body sessions combined to an extent.

The Squat was disappointing during the middle but was happy with how it finished - the 135 & 140 sets were quite good and 140 went easier than it did last week. I possibly could've went a set at 142.5 but didn't try.

I think the jump from 100 to 120 was too much, I should've went to 115 at that point. I struggled with 120 like I had 130 the week before. The 130 set was only ok but I got it together for the last two sets which was the main thing.

The BS-squats are a great exercise, I find. Good way to target either leg too if you feel one is not keeping up with the other.

Back GAA training tomorrow night then Upper Body day on Friday... On wee roll...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Are your top set increases not a little on the small side, 5kg on your squat and 2.5 on your bench. It's going to take a lot out of you doing 135 when 140 is your top set. I'd probably go 125 or 130 then 140, similarly on the bench 5-10kg jumps.

Just thought I'd say it.

• Advertisement

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Are your top set increases not a little on the small side, 5kg on your squat and 2.5 on your bench. It's going to take a lot out of you doing 135 when 140 is your top set. I'd probably go 125 or 130 then 140, similarly on the bench 5-10kg jumps.

Just thought I'd say it.

Thanks for that, you could be on to something there. I used to just do too many sets altogether leaving me missing that 5/10% in the tank when I really needed it.

I also think it has a bit to do with me being so inexperienced at this. As I'm going through the sets, I kinda feel "Well if I can do the 135, maybe 140 is do-able" - I probaby need the reassurance - while if I knew I was jumping 10 or 15kg I wouldn't really have confidence that I had that weight in me. Does that make sense?

I wasn't going to do 135 at all today as it happens, but because the 120 and 130 were quite poor I revised my final set (which was to be 140) and went for 135. However, after getting my act together and hitting 135 quite easily I then went for 140.

On the bench, I really don't think I could up my 3RM any more than 2.5kg-5kg at a time, if that. However, my goal for next Monday is 112.5kg, so maybe I'll make my penultimate set 105 and see how I go... Also, on Monday (with it being the first session after NY Eve!) I had hoped to get to 107.5kg x 3 and exceded it, going to 110kg.

Thanks for the input Scuba Ste - all comment is greatly appreciated...

Was GAA training tonight for the first time in nearly a year... agony! Dreading the gym tomorrow, but - No Pain no gain and I can recover all day Saturday!

THURSDAY

DB Bench Press
    25kg DBs x 15 - Four Sets

Superset
    Chin ups (x8)
    with
    Seated DB Cleans (x10, 10kg DBs)
    Four Sets

DB Military Press
    15kg DBs x 15 - Four Sets

Superset
    DB Shrugs, 30kg x 15
    with
    DB Curls, 15kg x 10
    Four Sets

Was on me hands and knees after this and a tough training session last night. Still though, don't feel bad now after an oul banana, some lucozade and a shake.

Week Four, over and out, won't be GAA training next week cos of work so should have plenty of energy for the gym.

WEEK FIVE

MONDAY
    Bench Press

Empty Bar x 10
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    (added belt)
    95kg x 3
    105kg x 3
    110kg x 2

DB Bench Press
    2 x 25kg, 20 reps - Two Sets

Superset
    BB Rows (30kg + Curl bar) x 12
    with
    Seated DB Cleans (2x10kg DBs) x 10
    Four Sets

DB Shrugs
    2 x 30kg DBs x 15 - Four Sets

DB Curls
    2 x 12.5kg DBs x 15 - Four Sets

Press Ups
    One set of 30 on DBs

I'm pretty disgusted with this session, the BP in particular. The numbers aren't terrible but it was all horrible. Not one set could I say I really executed well. Very disappointing and a bit of a confidence killer. I tried to drop it to just five sets hoping to hit 112.5kg for three reps but I knew from as early as the 80kg set that that wasn't gonna happen.

The only part of the whole thing I'm happy with was the DB Bench (upped the weights from 22.5kg) and the f*ckin press ups at the end. The rest of it was a struggle. No excuse, didn't have a drop of alcohol all weekend, didnt eat too much crap and slept well last night. Coming off three full days of rest I expected a lot more.

Just draw a line under it and chalk it up to 'one of those days'...

Went for a three-mile run today around a tough circuit with a good steep climb for almost a mile. Trying to make up for missing a bit of the hard work this week cos I can't go GAA training. Will prob leave me a little bit short tomorrow (Squat day) so if I can just maintain what I did last week on Squat day I'll be very happy.

WEDNESDAY

Some Box Jumps to begin

Barbell Squat
    Empty Bar x 10
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    (added belt)
    100kg x 3
    115kg x 3
    125kg x 3
    135kg x 3
    142.5kg x 3 (*PB*)

Bulgarian Split Squats
    15kg DBs x 12
    Six sets (three each leg)

Stiff-leg Deadlifts
    60kg x 12
    Four Sets

Chuffed with this, thought I'd be a little bit short after a tough run yesterday and would have been quite happy to get up to 140kg x 3. But I kind of got stronger as I went through the sets and just kept on going. I think I could've even went for 145 after 135 but sure that's a story for next week.

This is my fifth week of training, I think after six weeks I'll mix it up a bit and switch to Deadlifts on the Lower Body day and change a few exercises from the Upper Body days.

Went GAA training in the end tonight which, when you factor in I walked the feckin dog for nearly hour earlier, makes this possibly my most active day ever! :)

Don't feel too wrecked though, looking forward to a good night's sleep and might even tackle that hilly run I did on Tuesday again tomorrow.

FRIDAY

DB Bench Press
    27.5kg (each hand) x 15
    Four Sets

Superset
    Chin-ups (x8)
    with
    Seated DB Cleans (x10)
    Four Sets

Seated DB Shoulder Press
    15kg DBs each hand
    Four Sets
    (little talk with myself!)
    x 20 (now you're talkin)

Superset
    DB Shrugs (30kg each hand x 15)
    with
    DB Curls (15kg each hand x 10)
    Three Sets

Plate Pinch
    Three Sets

Press-ups
    On DBs - 28 (and a half! :) )

Happy with this. First time I've gone as high as 27.5kg for the DB Press for high reps so was happy to get through them unscathed! I was really done by the end and took it as a sign of how hard I'd worked that I couldn't complete 30 press-ups.

Week Five in the books so, Week Six will be much the same then gonna mix it up a bit...

Went GAA training tonight as well. Good day's work done all round! Will eat plenty and try rest tomorrow, big run on Sunday morning with the GAA team again so will need plenty of energy...

Had an Army-style run around the Curragh this morning. Tough stuff but the work I've put in over the past couple of weeks stood to me. This kind of stuff kills me, I find it very difficult, but I feel like I'm slowly establishing a half-decent base of fitness for the coming season.

Week Six starts tomorrow, on we go...

• Advertisement

WEEK SIX

MONDAY
    Bench Press
    60kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    (added belt)
    95kg x 3
    105kg x 3
    110kg x 3
    112.5kg x 2 (definitely, positive I could've done the third... bottled it :mad: )

DB Bench Press
    2x25kg DBs x 20
    Two Sets

Superset
    BB Rows (x12)
    with
    Seated DB Cleans (x10)
    Four Sets

DB Shrugs
    30kg DBs x 15
    Four Sets

DB Curls
    12.5kg DBs x 15
    Four Sets

Press Ups
    29 (and a little one at the end!)

Very happy with this. This was a tough session, I had a very hard running session yesterday so I'm delighted with how strong my Bench was today. I've got some kind of mental block going about the last rep of my 3RM, I've chickened out of it 3/4 times now and I'm not sure why. I know I could've ground out a third rep today at 112.5kg.

Nevermind though, every set felt strong and the 110kg went relatively easily. The most I've ever Benched was 117.5kg for 2 reps about 3yrs ago so happy to see the numbers creeping up toward that kinda level again.

Was wrecked at the end and actually collapsed on the last press up! :pac:

Am going to change things a bit after this week and had planned to leave out the Bench Press for a couple of weeks (probably just put in incline/decline BP instead, just for a bit of a break) but I think I'll give it one more week, try get to that 112.5 x 3 level and then leave it for a week or two.

Any comments, positive or otherwise, from any of the regulars? Any major flaws in how I'm going about this or anything that could be improved?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Nice log man.You're doing well on the bench.Does the belt add much tightness to the lift?I never tried it before but it stands to reason it could help you to keep your abs braced through-out the lift.

Remmy wrote: »
    Nice log man.You're doing well on the bench.Does the belt add much tightness to the lift?I never tried it before but it stands to reason it could help you to keep your abs braced through-out the lift.

Em, I suppose it does. I had never used it before for the bench and, now that I think of it, I wouldn't have been wearing one 3 yrs ago when I benched up to 117.5 (as mentioned above)... but I just feel it gives me a bit of confidence. I've had minor back problems in the past and just wear it for safety more than anything. I certainly feel more 'secure' through the heavy lifts when I wear it.

Do you know anybody in the gym who you can ask for a token spot, might embarrass you into nailing that 3rd rep.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Do you know anybody in the gym who you can ask for a token spot, might embarrass you into nailing that 3rd rep.

Yep, I'm going to do it next week. Reason I dont do it usually is because I find a spotter somewhat distracting, particularly if they 'impose' themselves on the lift more than you'd like. But I might ask one of the lads to spot next week, what's the worst that can happen?? :)

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Yep, I'm going to do it next week. Reason I dont do it usually is because I find a spotter somewhat distractiong, particularly if they 'impose' themselves on the lift more than you'd like. But I might ask one of the lads to spot next week, what's the worst that can happen?? :)

Just tell them to stay away from the bar unless it stops, goes back or you say take it. And fúcking smoke that triple.

Went for a 3-mile run today. The run I go on has a steep climb for more than half of it so it's a decent test. Was well within myself doing it today. The long slow stuff has never been much of a problem though. Squat day tomorrow, probably my last for 6/8 weeks as I plan to switch to the Deadlift. Hoping to go out on a bang with a new PB. Aiming for 145kgx3.

WEDNESDAY

Barbell Squad
    Empty Bar x 10
    60kg x 5
    90kg x 3
    (added belt)
    110kg x 3
    125kg x 3
    135kg x 3
    145 x 2 (shouldn't count, two sh*t reps)

Bulgarian Split-squats
    17.5kg DBs x 12
    Four Sets (two each leg)

This was sh*t. No other words to describe it. The numbers aren't terrible but my form was poor throughout. I just wasn't feeling it today. About the only good thing I can say is it was nice to have 145kg on the bar for the first time.

Gonna delay the switch to Deadlifts for another week and try make up for this poor Squat session next week before switching to Deads... I'm sad now :(

THURSDAY
    Went GAA training, was a slightly tame session because of the frost.

FRIDAY
    DB Bench Press
    27.5kg x 15
    Four Sets

Superset
    Chins-ups (x8)
    with
    Seated DB Power Cleans (x10)

Seated DB Shoulder Press
    15kg x 15
    Four Sets

Superset
    DB Shrugs (x15)
    with
    DB Curls (x10)

Press-ups x 25

• Advertisement

WEEK SEVEN

Barbell Bench Press
    Empty Bar x 10
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    92.5kg x 3
    100kg x 3
    107.5kg x 3
    112.5kg x 3 (Get in there, Betty!)

DB Bench Press
    2 x 25kg DBs x 20
    Two Sets

Superset
    Barbell Rows
    with
    Seated DB Powercleans
    Three Sets

DB Shrugs
    30kg x 15
    Four Sets

DB Curls
    12.5kg x 15
    Four Sets

Press ups (on dumbbells) x 30

Spotter?? Pffft, who needs em! :)

I beat that 112.5kg like I was its Daddy... Worked through the sets nicely and I knew I would get it. Wasn't easy by any means, the last rep was a struggle and I was glad I didnt ask anyone to Spot because 9 regular gym heads out of 10 would have jumped in halfway through Rep 3 but I knew I'd get it.

Rest of the Session is boring me - this seven weeks of it now and I need a change up. Was supposed to do it this week but will make sure I do it next week. there's any amount of variations available for DeFranco's WS4SBs anyway so it's no big deal.

Happy with this, next step is to get 145kg x 3 on Squat day, which will be Thursday this week as opposed to Wednesday as usual. Got a GAA match tomorrow evening and a funeral (not mine!) on Wed morning.

Advertisement