Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid Tent!!

Options
  • 12-01-2009 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

We got a tent last year, on sale, so we decided to go for it, it's a 4 man, and looks a bit like mickey mouses head for want of a better description. With the sleeping areas in the "ears and an area in the middle big enough for you to stand, have a few drinks etc.

We can't get the bloody thing to go up properly, there were no instructions with it, and I can't find it online. The ground sheet in the middle doesn't line up at all, and if we move it in such a way that it does, the sleeping areas collapse.

It's likely not the tent thats at fault, but us unable to put it up correctly. But we've only used it twice, both times were disasterous.

Any tips on how to get one like this put up correctly? And failing that, any recommendations for a good, easy to put up, large tent. We'll be camping a fair bit this year so don't mind spending the extra on a good one. Seperate areas is a must, too many nights sleeping in a sandy bed has me adamant that any tent we get has to have an area for storage, changing, the dogs bed etc. :)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

Hi Helena,

I have a couple of Outwell tents and find them very well made. I do not have a large one like the one you are looking for but this one might fit the bill http://www.outwell.dk/TentMeasure.aspx?b=Outwell&bid=2&lid=1&l=en-GB&catID=36&TentId=225&pid=1 There are other models also that may fit the bill.

These are very sturdy and will put up with the type of weather we have had for the last 2 summers. The groundsheet is sewn in so that will solve one of your problems. These are not lightweight by any means but I presume it is for car camping. I would avoid the large tents that use only fibreglass flexible poles as I have seen a good few of these blow away in the high winds. This tent has steel poles and should be easy enough to pitch although it will take two people. You should get a good deal at this time of the year if you can find a supplier with one in stock. They are probably a bit more expensive than the one you have but if looked after will last a lifetime.

Hope this helps

Andrew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭loz

Helena,

Does your tent have flexible poles ( joined with shock cord in the core ) ? - if so - ensure you have these in the correct channels( the bit of tubing on the tent outer )

and that you have them secured - normally there are plastic rings ( at the extremes of the tubing ) , that these have to push into to ensure a ridgid structure.

peg down at these points.

If you have multiple poles, ensure you have the correct size one in the correct channel.

regs

Loz

Advertisement