Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AR-15

Options
  • 12-01-2009 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

I'm lucky to be married to an american girl and make regular trips to to Pennsylvania where I often shoot AR-15's and Glock 17's at the local range. to my suprise by brother told me that one of his mates here in Ireland has a legally held AR-15 chambered in 7.62mm. Collapsible stock, flash hider etc.

I'm suprised anything so 'menacing' looking would be licensed here. the owner is not ex military, or law enforcement, just a gun enthusiast. Is it normal for such a firearm to be licensed in the state?

I always assumed that such rifles were on the restricted list?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Restricted or not, if he demonstrated a good reason to have it (most likely target shooting, but if it's .308 it could be a good deer rifle; oh, and hence it's an AR10, not AR15) than hey, he can have it. His local super must be VERY open-minded as well.... lucky bastard :D

Edit: I'm not even sure about the restricted list; has it been implemented officially?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

As has been stated here many times, 'Restricted' does not mean 'Banned'.

If someone can provide a genuine reason for the purchase and possession of something on the 'Restricted List', their local Superintendant can indeed issue a licence for it.
    Terms like 'menacing' don't (or shouldn't} come into it, a .308 is a .308, no matter what it's fired from; the shape and colour of the firearm are utterly irrelevant.

I'm not sure what the official standing of the 'Restricted List' is, perhaps some of the others who keep better track of the legislation can clarify that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

you'll have to forgive my ignorance, i'm very new to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Restricted list was commenced last May I believe, couldn't comment as to current enforcement of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Resticted list is commenced but not being enforced at the moment; it's in a sort-of-limbo state.

• Advertisement
Advertisement