Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP Change

Options
  • 12-01-2009 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

I need to change my IP so I can play a old game which has only one server which is generally populated.

I've turned my NTL Modem of for 12 hours twice. It runs with a Router which I turned off for 12 hours as well.

I've at a lost because that should of changed the IP but it didnt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Why do you need to change your ip address to play a game?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Moriarty wrote: »
    Why do you need to change your ip address to play a game?

Because he was ip banned.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sounds like he was IP banned alright, UPC say they provide dynamic IP's and by right rebooting your cable modem should allow you to obtain a new IP.

However I had UPC for over two years when I lived in Waterford and during all that time no matter how many times I power cycled the cable modem I always had the same IP address :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Cabaal wrote: »
    Sounds like he was IP banned alright, UPC say they provide dynamic IP's and by right rebooting your cable modem should allow you to obtain a new IP.

However I had UPC for over two years when I lived in Waterford and during all that time no matter how many times I power cycled the cable modem I always had the same IP address :)

if you power cycle it during the DHCP lease you won't get a new one.

Leave it unplugged over night and when you power it up the lease should be up I can't remember what lease times they use I think it was 4 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Because he was ip banned.

That's what I was guessing.. but I wanted to make sure before I called him a shitehawk.

• Advertisement

sorry just read it was out for 12 hours

cable modem direct to pc

try a ipconfig/renew

ipconfig/release

then turn it off over night

and see how it goes when ye get home the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

DHCP servers generally hold the ip for a mac for a long time before recycling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

That depends on the DHCP policy thats in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Nuravictus

Rang UPC & told me they didnt know when the address would change "Just Keep Trying" :(. They said there system is not static but I have turned the Router/Modums & PC's off for 12 hours straight now 3 times.

Anyone know the ammount of time I need to leave it off ?

Nuravictus wrote: »
    Rang UPC & told me they didnt know when the address would change "Just Keep Trying" :(. They said there system is not static but I have turned the Router/Modums & PC's off for 12 hours straight now 3 times.

One more time.

Take the modem, plug it directly to one of your machines....

get an address.....

release it ipconfig/release

turn the modem off over night

cable back to the modem/router

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Nuravictus wrote: »

If UPC don't know how long it will take, then it's unlikely that anyone here will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

Not sure if I should have started a new thread for this but somebody here might have the answer - any idea how long the ip address is leased for by upc's DHCP server?

The reason I ask is that lately I have to reboot my router to get a connection back. I recently changed my router from a Netgear to a Belkin one as I had the same problem with the Netgear one so I suspect now, maybe that router was not on the fritz and did not need replacing.

I can get into the router's config page at any time during the downtime and the security log says an ip address was leased for 3600 (seconds I presume) and then later on in the day another lease of 25900? So I was thinking that after the 1st lease of an hour is over I get kicked off and have to reboot and then get a longer one? Thanks

I got UPC installed on November 24th and I still have the same IP address I had from day one. I also had my cable modem off for a week over Christmas because I was away. When I came back home and powered everything on I got the exact same address again. So I personally think they use static IPs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

They must use static ips or static dhcp.

Advertisement