Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meercat C&C Please

• 12-01-2009 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭

Here's my first post for some C&C from the gang here.

Not my usual type of subject at all and would love to geet some feedback on it to see where I can start to improve on this type of thing.

Taken in Jersey Zoo with a 24-70mm f2.8L

Thanks in advance for any C&C received.

LemuratJerseyZoo8x10cropforprint.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Nice shot, lovely setting they are in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Thank you.

The enclosure is quite nice. Dry, hilly and sandy. Probably not too far from the natural habitat but without the usual predators even if they do have a finite space.

Quite skittish and prone to dart back underground at a loud noise. This one was lookout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

It's good. I don't know what the situation was but I think it would be improved upon if you could have shot it from a little lower down at a more inclined angle and thus better isolated your subject(s) against a cleaner background.

I realise this isn't always possible and it's hard to know how much leeway you had without knowing what focal length it was shot at. It looks like your focal length was probably nearer the 70mm end of things and so you can be pretty selective about your background and make use of the shallower depth of field.

Also, shot from a lower angle, you could really emphasise the foreground meerkat's elevation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I think showing the habitat and some other member of the group works very well too. I dont think the viewpoint effects it too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Thank you for your comments Charbdis.

You're right, it was shot near to 70mm. There were railings and a wall lower down so that was the lowest angle I could have shot from hence the lack of foreground.

It would have been nice to include more of the log in the frame but I guess this is one of the limitation of shooting at the likes of a zoo. Interesting comment about emphasising the elevation of the meercat, will keep that in mind for a similar situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

What a poser, l like this shot It is really clear...
    This is my effort of a meercat, well the back end of a meercat!!!! Digging himself a hole & basically running a muck...Taken in Basel Zoo, Switzerland..:)

3192001485_0116db2766.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29172058@N07/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

He is camouflaged well against the rock....I would crop a wee bit from the top, I quite like the little rascal. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Nice shot OP, very sharp & clear. A little crop off the top would complete it, in my opinion.

Advertisement