Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any gig shots from the weekend?

• 12-01-2009 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

I really enjoyed this weekends gig, very good friends and an amazing band and I am pretty happy with the results from my nifty fifty...

So anyone else want to share some gig pics from the weekend?

3190838269_2409d51d19.jpg
    3190840179_aacbdbe047.jpg3190846093_c716052aeb.jpg

still loads to go through but so far I'm quite happy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

nice shots. Where was the gig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Howitzer wrote: »
    nice shots. Where was the gig?

That was in the Dew drop Inn in Kill.

Was I the only one at a gig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

That was in the Dew drop Inn in Kill.

Was I the only one at a gig?

- think everyone was over at feedback.

Lovely shots. First one is wonderfully good. Well done.

Shot with or without flash? Looks brilliantly without maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Looks without. The nifty fifty really comes into its own at gigs. They're nice shots although the bottom right one looks a little out of focus? That could be the beer talking though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

John wrote: »
    Looks without. The nifty fifty really comes into its own at gigs. They're nice shots although the bottom right one looks a little out of focus? That could be the beer talking though.

motion blur i thinkies. lovely shots, have you tried tweeking the wb a bit? colours are funkay and cool, but one or two with some more natural tones could be coolo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I think it may well be like that, I remember saying the same thing to some of Pete's gig shots b4 when I was a lot newer and only realised later he had gone for that look.
    I try and mix mine like that, mostly in focus but some not, try and catch a bit of blur/action.

Rachel was not at any gigs.. :(
    My big gig coming up are a famous DIY Punk band the weekend after next.
    The Restarts.

Posting pics here I would always leave a gap between each picture as it emphasises each more.
    Pic 3 pips pic 2 for me, although I do like the colour in pic 1.
    You should always throw up a drummer pic too...feels more a set that way.

Oh I actually got a few really good drummer pics but when I posted these I wasnt finished uploading, will upload more tomorrow.

I already shifted the wb a bit as they were very blue and purple, some had red tones which I hate so lost those shots.

Sorry to say lads there was nothing artsy going on in the last picture, just a few too many drinks.

AR you were saying about going to a metal gig before, this band Glyder and Erin Maiden are playing a charity gig in the Dew Drop on feb 6th, Erin Maiden is made up of 2 glyder members my hubbie and 2 others. They split years ago but are doing a once off for the charity gig, huge energy and lots of moshing or hair rocking as I call it!

Loads more pics on flickr

What day and where is it?
    Suppose it's the southside :P

I think it may well be like that, I remember saying the same thing to some of Pete's gig shots b4 when I was a lot newer and only realised later he had gone for that look.
    I try and mix mine like that, mostly in focus but some not, try and catch a bit of blur/action.

I try to do the same, nothing more boring than the usual man with a guitar looking whistful shots. I think the best shots are the ones where the movement and blur is centred around something in focus. *self pimpage alert* This is the one I'm most proud of:
    2968310365_b22d7d75b3.jpg

I like the red and you've framed the picture well.
    That style of "music" though would be fairly uneventful to photograph I'd imagine...I could take 100 shots of a Punk band playing 20 mins, I think I'd only manage 7 shots of yer man. :p

• Advertisement

That style of "music" though would be fairly uneventful to photograph I'd imagine...I could take 100 shots of a Punk band playing 20 mins, I think I'd only manage 7 shots of yer man. :p

I don't know, it's one of my most hit sets on flickr, nearly 15,000 hits but of course different strokes and all that. I must admit that I prefer gigs like that where the artists are doing something a little different. However, there's nothing like a blood and guts performance of a band giving it socks either.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ya can get lovely dj shots if the dj is a crowd pleaser and attention whore, thats Felix Da Housecat in UCD Student Bar

no pp on final one, camera went funky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I used to be all about the motion shots shooting 35mm B&Wack int he day. Depends on the band, the venue and where your shooting from really. These are from the lower deck where you pretty much need to shoot with some sort of flash to get any sort of result.
    I just find it more difficult to get good static shots at gigs without flash. It's harder to fully utilise flashguns with bigger stages too. Here's a couple o' oldies where I'm all in your face!

440108936_6466df0c38_o.jpg

2533643215_4a4a95e01d.jpg

2533633885_43f232e722.jpg

pete4130 wrote: »
    I used to be all about the motion shots shooting 35mm B&Wack int he day. Depends on the band, the venue and where your shooting from really. These are from the lower deck where you pretty much need to shoot with some sort of flash to get any sort of result.
    I just find it more difficult to get good static shots at gigs without flash. It's harder to fully utilise flashguns with bigger stages too. Here's a couple o' oldies where I'm all in your face!

QUOTE]

I tried to mimick your style, sorry:o but I didnt quite get there, I had a slow shutter speed and flashed towards the end to freeze the subject but I think I was too drunk and as I didnt know how to set the flash to do it itself I just used the test button.

Ah well maybe next time.

AR Kill is in Co. Kildare. Really looking forward to this gig though because with the erin maiden you get people really getting into it, one guy that used to be a regular at the gigs we nicknamed windmill man as he had this long blonde flowing hair that was constantly circling..... how his head stayed on I dont know.

Soz too far for me, it takes me all my time to get over the Liffey.

Like the 1st pic Pete.

Just for the boys, this is a friend of ours who comes to a lot of gigs, I would never tire of photographing her, she is taken before you ask

7343170541a9861712346l.jpg

and a drummer pic

7343170541a9855003816l.jpg

define 'taken' :p

She doesn't do the dirty.

She doesn't do the dirty.

ah cool, she perfect for me, i only hold hands ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

The trick to them is to use a wide as hell lens, get in real close and use rear synch and pan and/or rotate your camera to create the motion. Rotating helps keep the centre of the image more clear compared to the edges. The longer the shutter, the more effect you'll get to a point where its a mush of colour and motion...depending on how strong you set your flash! I actually think the first B&W one I posted was shot with pop up flash on my D200 and the 10.5mm fisheye lens which is why the centre of the image got the flash (pop up flash can't reach as wide as the fisheye so the edges won't get burnt in like the centre). I also think I droped the ISO to maybe 100-400(?) so I could use the slower shutter speeds and shot on aperture priority.....it seems like what I would have done at least???
    It works ok if you don't mind people looking at you thinking your crazy dancing around and waving your camera round in circles! :D
    pete4130 wrote: »

QUOTE]

I tried to mimick your style, sorry:o but I didnt quite get there, I had a slow shutter speed and flashed towards the end to freeze the subject but I think I was too drunk and as I didnt know how to set the flash to do it itself I just used the test button.

Ah well maybe next time.

AR Kill is in Co. Kildare. Really looking forward to this gig though because with the erin maiden you get people really getting into it, one guy that used to be a regular at the gigs we nicknamed windmill man as he had this long blonde flowing hair that was constantly circling..... how his head stayed on I dont know.

• Advertisement

Thanks pete, I never moved the camera, I waited for them to be moving quite quickly so I'll know next time. I dont have wide lens but fingers crossed it will work ok

Advertisement