Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Processors compatible with a Dell motherboard

Options
  • 12-01-2009 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to upgrade the processor on a Dell Dimension 5150c from a Pentium D 3GHz to some sort of Core Duo or Core 2 Duo, so I can use it for gaming (I've already upgraded the graphics card to a Radeon HD 3450).

The main issue for me is that the 5150c is fairly old and uses a proprietary Dell BTX motherboard, and despite Googling for hours and trawling both the Dell and Intel support sites I can't find any information on what sort of processors this will support, other than the info that came in the user manual (see the attachment).

I ran CPUz as well, and got the model number of the motherboard (0MF252), which was no help whatsoever. It does seem to use the Intel G945 chipset, which in theory should support a Core 2 Duo, but I'd really need to know if the Dell version does.

What are my options here? Does anyone have experience with this type of PC and can you help me out? Should I ring Dell? I realise that my best option would probably be to build a new PC from scratch but my budget won't really cover that at the moment unfortunately.

Thanks for any help you can give me, and if you need any more information let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Breezer wrote: »
    I'm trying to upgrade the processor on a Dell Dimension 5150c from a Pentium D 3GHz to some sort of Core Duo or Core 2 Duo, so I can use it for gaming (I've already upgraded the graphics card to a Radeon HD 3450).

The main issue for me is that the 5150c is fairly old and uses a proprietary Dell BTX motherboard, and despite Googling for hours and trawling both the Dell and Intel support sites I can't find any information on what sort of processors this will support, other than the info that came in the user manual (see the attachment).

I ran CPUz as well, and got the model number of the motherboard (0MF252), which was no help whatsoever. It does seem to use the Intel G945 chipset, which in theory should support a Core 2 Duo, but I'd really need to know if the Dell version does.

What are my options here? Does anyone have experience with this type of PC and can you help me out? Should I ring Dell? I realise that my best option would probably be to build a new PC from scratch but my budget won't really cover that at the moment unfortunately.

Thanks for any help you can give me, and if you need any more information let me know.
    I can tell you that it is compatible with the Pentium D 820.
    It has an Intel 945G chipset, so in theory it should also work with any core 2 duo that the power supply can handle, unless dell have crippled it in some way.

Advertisement