Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bupa 10K run in dublin 5th April ?

• 12-01-2009 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

anyone know how you can register , or can you register yet ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

there was an email sent around today about it to people who have done it before or are on the email list:

http://www.greatrun.org/Events/Event.aspx?id=7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

One of my main goal this year is to break 40 mins for 10k. I'm doing 3 10ks and this will be my 3rd and so I hope to achieve my goal here. Can anyone advise just how congested this run is and the affect on running sub 40?

very very congested, especially round the bend at the start but just start further up away from the slower people (including myself) and you'll be grand. It breaks up fairly rapidly after the first few bends, first one is really congested but fine after that and a nice course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

ekevosu wrote: »
    very very congested, especially round the bend at the start but just start further up away from the slower people (including myself) and you'll be grand. It breaks up fairly rapidly after the first few bends, first one is really congested but fine after that and a nice course.

They had a section in front of the main field and behind the elites last year for sub 40 runners. If you get in there you shouldn't have a problem. And as mentioned above once you get past the first corner you should be fine, it is however very very congested back in the main field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

They had a section in front of the main field and behind the elites last year for sub 40 runners. If you get in there you shouldn't have a problem. And as mentioned above once you get past the first corner you should be fine, it is however very very congested back in the main field.

I was planning on just gettting around this in 55 mins last year.. Took me an hour in the end and the amount of walkers I passed that started in the sub 50 area was mad.. People don't check this at all and jsut went where ever they wanted, I said after the race i'll never run this one again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I do plan on doing it, though reading about the amount of congestion is making me a little bit worried! I really want to go sub-hour, but I might be better served by finding a different race to do it if it's that bad...

I do plan on doing it, though reading about the amount of congestion is making me a little bit worried! I really want to go sub-hour, but I might be better served by finding a different race to do it if it's that bad...

It's congested but it moves, once the first couple of K's are done there's no problem really.

shels4ever wrote: »
    I was planning on just gettting around this in 55 mins last year.. Took me an hour in the end and the amount of walkers I passed that started in the sub 50 area was mad.. People don't check this at all and jsut went where ever they wanted, I said after the race i'll never run this one again...

Worth getting to the start early I guess for position, a useful tip is to wait on the North side of the road and join as close to the front as you want. I've done this race 5 times now and have never really had my time affected by congestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

MCOS wrote: »
    One of my main goal this year is to break 40 mins for 10k. I'm doing 3 10ks and this will be my 3rd and so I hope to achieve my goal here. Can anyone advise just how congested this run is and the affect on running sub 40?

Very congested, big impact.

Now if you are thinking "well I'll just go up the front - then the faster lads and lassies will trample you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Anyone doing the Cupids Dash 10k on Valentines Day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Just run a normal 10k race with less than 300 people in it that costs 10 Euro.

cfitz wrote: »
    I would evern say upto 1000 wouldnt be too bad, once you can run clear after 3-400m your set up well .

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

BHAA has 2 10ks which might suit for a good time. I also did the Clondalkin 10k in September which only had about 100 running.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Yeah I plan on doing this. It will be my first race :). But yeah I ran 10k in 58 minutes there. Could anyone tell me an achieveable goal to worth towards for this race?

cfitz wrote: »

appreciate the logic. Actually I will be after the sub 40 in my first 2 attempts at 10k in March (500 ish type events) so all going well I will have that goal sown up before I get to the pheonix park :). My OH and one of my best friends are both running too so it would be nice to just enjoy it and not have to be eyeballs out at the finish!

@Tunney the likely hood of being trampled by fast (skinny) racers is unlikely, I'm more of a rugby build than a runner build :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

it would be nice to just enjoy it and not have to be eyeballs out at the finish!

That is the enjoyable part :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 SeanMurphy

Is it necessary to register for the race in order to run it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Might give this ago myself seen as im back in some kinda training , and it will be my first official run :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

SeanMurphy wrote: »
    Is it necessary to register for the race in order to run it?

Usually not. You can usually squeeze in to races anyway without a number but you're not eligable for results, goody bags etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭jlang

mp1972 wrote: »
    Usually not. You can usually squeeze in to races anyway without a number but you're not eligable for results, goody bags etc...
    Don't want to be cross about this, but while it may be possible to run without being registered, it is against the spirit of the thing and potentially disruptive to the people who organise and enter the race. Some of the races are expensive, but if that's an issue, run a different race. If you want to run 10km without following the rules, go and run 10km somewhere else or run the race course on a different day.

Of course, if you were just asking if you need to preregister or can you enter (officially) on the day, I don't think they accept entries for this one on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

I made the same vow for the same reason after the race last year, but I see this year they're giving technical t-shirts...I'm a sucker for a good technical t-shirt :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I think it is worth doing this event once as it is well run and very professional. However the cost associated with it is pretty high so I'll be sticking to other events this year

I think it is worth doing this event once as it is well run and very professional. However the cost associated with it is pretty high so I'll be sticking to other events this year

Worth remembering that this is a charity event with moneys going to Our Ladies Hospice and/or the Marie Keating foundation, it is a non profit event so the charities get everything left over after the costs of the event are paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Golly I'd like to do this, the only thing is the Saturday is my birthday and I forsee some alcohol consumption, would I recover by 1'O clock on Sunday...mmmmm

Worth remembering that this is a charity event with moneys going to Our Ladies Hospice and/or the Marie Keating foundation, it is a non profit event so the charities get everything left over after the costs of the event are paid.

I think you are incorrect unless they have changed their tune the last few years.

The company that organise this are very much (or were until last year) into making profit.

The charities you mention are designated charities. In other words the promotional company endorse these are their favored charities and you raise money for these yourself !!!

This source of confusion always annoyed me. People use to think their entry fee was going to charity but it wasn't. If they have changed this year and are donating all profits to charity then well and good but I seriously doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Really? I was under the impression none of the entry fee went to charity but jsut that participants were encouraged to raise money for charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

I think this is one of the fun-est 10Ks around and do it every year. Plus a technical tee this year as an other poster pointed out. And it's great seeing all the people with different county t-shirts and sussing out what counties they are from. Decided to do the London 10k this year too and plan on doing all the BUPA 10ks over the next few years.

tunney wrote: »
    Really? I was under the impression none of the entry fee went to charity but jsut that participants were encouraged to raise money for charity.

Perhaps I am wrong, but the impression I got was that some of the entry went to either charity when I first entered a few years back. In fact there was a tick-box as to which one you wanted it to go to out of Marie Keating or Crumlin at the time.

Maybe it was a false impression or maybe it has changed since, if so then I would agree with the above posters that the entry fee is very high, although it is a well run and fun day out.

P.S. I did get sponsorship to run the race anyway for Crumlin.

Perhaps I am wrong, but the impression I got was that some of the entry went to either charity when I first entered a few years back. In fact there was a tick-box as to which one you wanted it to go to out of Marie Keating or Crumlin at the time.

Maybe it was a false impression or maybe it has changed since, if so then I would agree with the above posters that the entry fee is very high, although it is a well run and fun day out.

I got the exact same impression last year...

• Advertisement

ekevosu wrote: »
    I got the exact same impression last year...

I would like to see how much money actually does go to the charity.

Has anyone here ever been involved in organising a race?
    The costs and effort are enormous!
    There's the cost of

Insurance
    Garda presence
    First aid
    T-Shirts
    Medals
    Timing chips
    Water at water stations
    Goody bags
    "celebs" who start it/attend it
    constructions like the set up of the yoke they stand on and where the bands play under
    Portaloos (VERY surprising how expensive these are!)
    and other stuff I can't think of right off the top of my head

and for about 10,000 people that works out at a lot of dosh!

I don't think it's worth bashing the event based on the cost of entry for such a well managed event.

I would like to see how much money actually does go to the charity.

FYI I have mailed the event organisers and asked for clarification. I will post any reply I get.

who007 wrote: »
    I don't think it's worth bashing the event based on the cost of entry for such a well managed event.

The event is fantastic, great craic, very well organised. I don't think people are bashing the event (I'm not), just that there is a misconception as to what the fees are paid towards. I've always assumed this was a charity event with the profits going to charity. Sure we'll see what answer louthandproud gets back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

do you have to run this event ,or can/do walkers enter ?

Seres wrote: »
    do you have to run this event ,or can/do walkers enter ?

You can walk it, in fact probably 50% of participants do.

Don't start at the front though!!!! :-)

• Advertisement

who007 wrote: »
    Has anyone here ever been involved in organising a race?
    The costs and effort are enormous!

Yep I have organised 3 cross country events. And have been part of 2 organising committees for 2 road races.

You are right about the costs involved they are significant. Having said that, I am sure the organizers are left with a sizable profit after all of this is taken into account. They are a running company dedicated to making money and I have no problem with that as their events are well run and fun.

My point was that I would run the event once but would avoid it in future as I prefer to keep my money for other less professional but still well run races.
    I would enter similar events in other cities but I've paid 35 euro to run their 10k in Dublin so its end of story for me.

Regarding the charity side of things these events are positively misleading. Yeah sure you tick a box for your prefered charity but the outcome of this is they will send you the relevant sponsorship card. None of the entry fee goes directly to charity

Yep I have organised 3 cross country events. And have been part of 2 organising committees for 2 road races.

You are right about the costs involved they are significant. Having said that, I am sure the organizers are left with a sizable profit after all of this is taken into account. They are a running company dedicated to making money and I have no problem with that as their events are well run and fun.

My point was that I would run the event once but would avoid it in future as I prefer to keep my money for other less professional but still well run races.
    I would enter similar events in other cities but I've paid 35 euro to run their 10k in Dublin so its end of story for me.

Regarding the charity side of things these events are positively misleading. Yeah sure you tick a box for your prefered charity but the outcome of this is they will send you the relevant sponsorship card. None of the entry fee goes directly to charity

Roadrunner - my comment sweren't directed at you and weren't a criticism. I was trying to point out that to go down the road of castigating BUPA's entry fee on the basis of how much goes to charity would not be thinking about it correctly, on the basis of the above costs - and as you would know from experience - all the admin stuff has to be taken into account too.. when the likes of you and me organise races it's cos we love running - I doubt the staff in BUPA would be so interested in all the admin work with no pay. And also let's not forget that Activeeurope.com take a 14% cut straight off the entries online too!
    Anyway, maybe now my comments may appear more in line with the point I was trying to make..

Don't worry I didn't take offence and came across narkier than I meant

The confusion regarding the entry fee going to charity just really really annoys me :mad:

I have pointed it out to the organisers in the past and they still haven't done anything about it. I may be corrected on this, but if so this is the first year they have redirected the entry fee to charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

It's a bit pricey as races go but was my first ever 2yrs ago and has good memories from then for me--hope the t-shirt is decent this year. The likes of the Dungarvan 10 is way better value though i think.

You can walk it, in fact probably 50% of participants do.

Don't start at the front though!!!! :-)

no i will be running it , the walk query was for my parents , thanks for the tip though , will be aiming for 40min finish
    actually , i heard (read here)that congestion can be a problem for getting a good time , is the race as bad as the womens minimarathon , if not then i will get there good and early and hopefully crowds wont be a problem ?

• Advertisement

no i will be running it , the walk query was for my parents , thanks for the tip though , will be aiming for 40min finish
    actually , i heard (read here)that congestion can be a problem for getting a good time , is the race as bad as the womens minimarathon , if not then i will get there good and early and hopefully crowds wont be a problem ?

Maybe you could pace me... also looking for a 39'59" ish finish :)

Maybe you could pace me... also looking for a 39'59" ish finish :)
    your on , meet you at the start ! how is your training going ?

your on , meet you at the start ! how is your training going ?

Just read some of your training log , wish i had your motivation and the moment i have zero motivation , the bupa 10k commitment is meant to kick start me , help !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

71226288_4bed47b736.jpg

There ya go. A kickstart. :)

Btw - anyone up for keeping a list of target times for all the boardsies doing this?
    I'll start - 0.59.59 :)

Just read some of your training log , wish i had your motivation and the moment i have zero motivation , the bupa 10k commitment is meant to kick start me , help !

Its easy to get into a rut of not training, Its also easy to get back into the habbit of training, once you get out for 1 or 2 sessions you will be fine....

Stick on your runners tonight and go out for an easy few miles :)

Cool, see you there! Training is going ok, making a bit of progress.

Tips for motivation
    Woddle's 1000 mile challenge ;)
    Reading logs/keeping a log
    Having your runners and gear ready and waiting for you when you get home
    watch this http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=flRvsO8m_KI
    or this http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=WO4tIrjBDkk

Both are just personal favourites and cheesey as hell :D

"The Great Ireland Run and Great North Run are facilitators for participants to raise large sums of money for charities. The entry fee goes towards paying for numerous items including mementos to successful runners, event logistics and course costs etc. Any contribution made by the event after paying for all the third party costs are used to pay the company overheads. The company is a limited company and operates to make a profit. The company does get involved in worthy causes but it does not allocate a proportion of the entry fee to charity.

Kind Regards

Melanie Currie
    Great Run Customer Service Manager
    "

There it is folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

I must say, I always find this race a tad tacky. race costs can be considerable, but this race costs considerably more than many similar events. You are essentially pating an extra 15Euro or so (compared to other races) to pay top athletes appearance fees. I think a fellow who won it a few times has a 15,000 appearance fee. It's great to have people like that running here, but personally I prefer to run a race of similar distance around the same time as the Great Run race where the money goes to a local club, and then go and watch the stars in the Great Run race.

There's a bit of an unwritten boycott of this race I think by many runners who race regularly. The times are always interesting - about 10 fellows around 30mins, but then only a trickle of fellows between 31 and 36, then they come streaming in again. In the National 10k champs which is on around the same time you'll have a load of fellows between 31-36...

There's a bit of an unwritten boycott of this race I think by many runners who race regularly.

Yeah I agree with this. Most lads in my club won't do it. As I said before I did it once and found it very professional. The medal and t-shirts were very nice also. However I won't be doing it again unless they offer me 15,000 euro appearance fee obviously :D

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

I must say, I always find this race a tad tacky. race costs can be considerable, but this race costs considerably more than many similar events. You are essentially pating an extra 15Euro or so (compared to other races) to pay top athletes appearance fees. I think a fellow who won it a few times has a 15,000 appearance fee. It's great to have people like that running here, but personally I prefer to run a race of similar distance around the same time as the Great Run race where the money goes to a local club, and then go and watch the stars in the Great Run race.

There's a bit of an unwritten boycott of this race I think by many runners who race regularly. The times are always interesting - about 10 fellows around 30mins, but then only a trickle of fellows between 31 and 36, then they come streaming in again. In the National 10k champs which is on around the same time you'll have a load of fellows between 31-36...

RF is the national champs open to all runners (even us at the 45+ mark)?

• Advertisement
Advertisement