Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

10 Day Figures

Options
  • 12-01-2009 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

VRT08 10th Jan 09 (2).xls

A lot of discussion here about 09 reg's. Attached are first 10 day registration figures.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Makes for interesting reading. Kinda scary at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Has to be back to the eighty's with those figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Overall down 71%:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

I'm developing into a bit of a fan of Saabs, but they are being wiped out there - just five cars, down from 139 last year (-96%). There won't be any 2009 second hand Saabs to buy in a few years' time (apart from UK).

Problem with Saab is they are just too expensive for what they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why are Subaru holding up so well so far?

And I wouldn't want to be a Saab dealer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

MYOB wrote: »

Two words - Diesel Legecy.

Citroen are down too but not as much as most - probably due to the new C5. Amazing what a difference one model can make, and just by giving people what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

MYOB wrote: »

And I wouldn't want to be a Saab dealer!

% falls or rises over a short period for very small marques are not really reliable. Subaru only sold 372 units in the whole of 2008.

A lot of discussion on this site has focused on dealerships closing. There must also be a bigger question mark over why a distributor would bother bringing in a brand which might would sell less than 400 units. (maybe only 150 in 2009).

Imagine driving down the street with the only 2009 Porsche in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'm developing into a bit of a fan of Saabs, but they are being wiped out there - just five cars, down from 139 last year (-96%). There won't be any 2009 second hand Saabs to buy in a few years' time (apart from UK).

I think Saab were the most shocking result from all of those. We bought one of those so I wonder where the other 4 went?

Some very scary stories from our suppliers about how little they have on order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Up until last Thursday, I hadn't seen one 09 reg at all, and I've been out and about most days in Dublin. I've seen 3 to date, the highest reg was 13XX. This time last year (7 working days into the new year), it would have been well over 5000.

I had one go out today, that was in the low 2000's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Saab has been decimated by the change in VRT regulations in relation to their Bio Fuel vehicles. One dealer I spoke to was telling me that he sold 35 9-5's up to July last year. He reckons he'll sell 2 this year if lucky.
    They do have some incredible engines coming on stream, ultra low emissions (124g) with 180bhp from a 1.8 bio fuel engine. This can't come too soon for dealers. The chap I was speaking to also has Seat and one other marque so he will be Ok, God help and stand alone Saab dealers....

But look at it another way. I went in to buy a new Superb today with an 07 trade in and was told they ain't taking anything that old!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 michael_23

Those numbers are very interesting. Where do the figures com from? Or where is it possible to access such info?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

Saab has been decimated by the change in VRT regulations in relation to their Bio Fuel vehicles. One dealer I spoke to was telling me that he sold 35 9-5's up to July last year. He reckons he'll sell 2 this year if lucky.
    They do have some incredible engines coming on stream, ultra low emissions (124g) with 180bhp from a 1.8 bio fuel engine. This can't come too soon for dealers. The chap I was speaking to also has Seat and one other marque so he will be Ok, God help and stand alone Saab dealers....

The new Saab 9-5 can't come quickly enough.

There must be some dealers out there who sold no 2009 cars at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

MichealD wrote: »

A lot of discussion here about 09 reg's. Attached are first 10 day registration figures.

sweet jeebus - that's shocking.

A big thing no-one has commented on, yet, is that the VRT and VAT shortfall will be huge. Add that to the current account deficit and this is one hell of an abyss we're looking into......... :confused:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

% falls or rises over a short period for very small marques are not really reliable. Subaru only sold 372 units in the whole of 2008.

A lot of discussion on this site has focused on dealerships closing. There must also be a bigger question mark over why a distributor would bother bringing in a brand which might would sell less than 400 units. (maybe only 150 in 2009).

There are probably some economies of scale when combined with the UK market. They obviously see prospects for the diesel Impreza here too seeing as they're bringing it over to us and not selling it in the UK (because of exchange rate difficulties).

Subaru's future in the UK and Ireland is a lot more rosy since the diesel engine was introduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

By anyone's standard those figures are alarming. I've just been off the phone to a mate who is/was in sales and has just been let go this evening. I got a call a lunchtime today from another mate who's girlfriend works in the trade who's just been given a week's notice. Look's like it's dog eat dog out there at the moment. I genuinely feel sorry for anyone losing their job now through all of this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Those numbers are very interesting. Where do the figures com from? Or where is it possible to access such info?

Information is supplied from the VRO to the SIMI on the previous days registrations and in turn on to the distributors on a daily basis. The ten, 20 and monthly figures are collated by the SIMI and again forwarded to the distributors along with a county analysis with shows registrations by make, by county. Also provided on a monthly basis is a passenger and commercial segmentation report which breaks down monthly registrations by each individual car/van model in each individual segment and other information like hire drive registration figures for each franchise. This information forms the basis for the statistics available in a less detailed format on the SIMI website.

In my case the distributor for some of our franchises forward on the information to the garage's although I understand this does not happen in all franchises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

R.O.R wrote: »
    I think Saab were the most shocking result from all of those. We bought one of those so I wonder where the other 4 went?

Some very scary stories from our suppliers about how little they have on order.

I don't find the high percentage drops scary, Saab were never a volume seller even though their 10 day figures are bad. More interesting are the figures for the top 4 or 5. Toyota being over 2200 vehicles down? If that trend continues then it is very worring, well for the big hitters. I don't know their current stocks but at some stage the factory is going to want to be paid for the vehicles and that will be one hell of a bill.

:eek:

How is the car market going to correct itself? The only way out i can see is for prices to drop to close to UK levels, either by dealers taking the hit or by dealers going out of business and their unsold cars being flogged off cheaply at auction.

Any other ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

How is the car market going to correct itself? The only way out i can see is for prices to drop to close to UK levels, either by dealers taking the hit or by dealers going out of business and their unsold cars being flogged off cheaply at auction.

Any other ideas?

Both are happening at the moment. The smart dealers are taking a hit on the loss, but at the end of the day, it is really down to how well capitalised they are as a business. If they've been p*ssing their money all over town and spending money on things like helicopters to the Galway Races and wearing their ego on their big swinging dick, then they probably deserve to go bust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Both are happening at the moment. The smart dealers are taking a hit on the loss, but at the end of the day, it is really down to how well capitalised they are as a business. .

Pretty much bang on. Cash flow is king.

The car industry in Ireland is totally screwed for a number of reasons, never mind the current economic factors. You have the whole Euro3 to Euro4 emmisions regulation which meant used cars took a bit of a hit in 2008 and then the big kick in the balls was the CO2 emission changes. That pretty much started the ass dropping out of the industry. The government were fairly ignorant of the damage they were about to do to the industry. Do you think anyone would have imported and stocked the highest band had they known what was coming?

Apparently there are close to 100,000 unsold new houses that won't meet the new energy saving regulations by June. It will be interesting to see how firm the Government are on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

If this continues will be big drop in tax revenues as we all know much cars are taxed. I would be doubtful if Dept of Finance clowns have factored this into their projections.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Jesus that shocking to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Problem with Saab is they are just too expensive for what they are.

The other problem is their range of cars are old and dated. The 9-5 has not changed much since being introduced in 1997 and that uses the 1989 Opel Vectra chassis. The 9-3 has been around since 2002.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Well I have no sympathy for the people who have ripped Joe Soap off in this country for years. I feel sorry for the people who will lose thier jobs because of this big mess. The Industry here needs a big wake up call. Its lost its competitive edge and our neighbours across the pond and up north are cleaning up.

Its not that people are broke and don't have the cash. Its just that Joe Soap is spending his money more wisely and are fed up of being ripped off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I was in a Ford garage today having my Focus serviced, the showroom was a ghost town, there were 2 salesmen standing around chatting and laughing to each other about their conquests last Saturday night.

Up to last year you would have had to form a queue to see one of them in January.

Advertisement